PCOM Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone planning to going to the research symposium on the 11th?

No, but I will be there on the 29th for the new student luncheon. Hoep to see you all there

Members don't see this ad.

To the other couple of people who have posted still hoping for interviews.

I know they're still doing them till mid April, though I cant say when the invites for those end game interviews will end.

I've had additional letters sent, called/emailed, and basically laid myself prostrate. I even had a friend who is currently at PCOM write a letter on my behalf.

I don't honestly think we can do much more than wait. I've got a terminally ill family member outside Philly, and I'd give anything to be in that region for the next few years, but the situation is what it is.

If anyone reads this post, and has gotten an interview invite since the 1st of march, please reply and let us remaining hopefuls know.

Did anybody who interviewed on the week of the 16th (feb) hear anything....i think i'm starting to go crazy:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't honestly think we can do much more than wait. I've got a terminally ill family member outside Philly, and I'd give anything to be in that region for the next few years, but the situation is what it is.

Sorry to hear that...I hope that you are able to spend some time with them in the meantime :(

Did anybody who interviewed on the week of the 16th (feb) hear anything....i think i'm starting to go crazy:scared:

I interviewed on 2/16 and recieved my acceptance letter on thursday 2/26 (the letter was dated 2/23). Hope you hear something soon

I have withdrawn my acceptance from all schools except AZCOM and PCOM. I can't decide whether to attend PCOM or AZCOM...I know they are very different, but they are both GREAT schools.

Here is my problem: I think PCOMs curriculum is one of the best you could ask for. Their clinical rotations are set in one of the greatest medical cities in the US with a lot of medical history and medical hospitals and unique opportunity. But, the cost of living in Philly is outrageous. I am married and can't split the cost of living with someone else. We have a dog. Renters do not accomodate pet owners in Philly, and it seems unlikely that we could afford to buy a home in Philly. My husband is a firefighter and will hopefully find a job out there doing the same- so possibly could afford a home? (any input from anyone who might be in a similar situation?) However, I am not sure what I think of AZCOM's quarter system for their curriculum and overall I think I would like PCOMs curriculum better. But, AZCOM is set in Glendale, AZ where the cost of living is wayyy cheaper than Philly and the people are friendly and I am from a neighboring state so the transition I imagine would be much easier to go to AZCOM. I feel like my pro and con lists for each school are even. The problem, the pros for PCOM are based only on the school and not the environment and personal reasons. The pros for AZCOM are mainly for personal reasons, environment, and location...

What is more important? Obviously you are paying a TON for this education so you'd think curriculum would take precidence. But, I think in order to be successful you should be happy in your environment and I envision myself happier in Glendale than in Philly. I think AZCOM is still a great school; there really isn't such a thing as a "terrible" med school. I think you make of it what you want and you determine your success. I keep wavering...and I need to make a decision SOON, before more $$ is due!

How did you guys decide which school to go to if you had choices? These are the 2 schools that felt like they would be a good fit for me. But for such different reasons and I am not sure what should take precidence: personal reasons or curriculum/educational reasons?

Thanks for any input!:oops:

boats8, i dont know where you have been looking at housing for in philly, but you can most certainly find reasonably cheap apartments that allow pets in manayunk/roxborough. i would say its about a 20 minute drive to pcom max (unless traffic is absurd that day). look on craigslist.com in that location... almost allll of the places i have looked at are pet friendly (i am looking to get a dog). they arent mansions, but what med student lives in a mansion?! good luck and i hope that helps a little bit.

I can certainly see how you would be leery to move to a city you wouldn't be comfortable in. Your ability to destress outside of class will have an effect on your performance in class. If it would be a struggle to adjust to life in Philly, then that's not a stress you need to add to your life in this stressful time. Good luck in your decision and your transition to life in the Northeast if you choose to come to Philly.

Personally, I turned down an acceptance in NYC partially because of the added stress that I wanted to avoid.

Bab8 is right though, you will find a pet friendly place in Manyunk for $800-$1000 depending on how much space you feel that you need.

I have withdrawn my acceptance from all schools except AZCOM and PCOM. I can't decide whether to attend PCOM or AZCOM...I know they are very different, but they are both GREAT schools.

Here is my problem: I think PCOMs curriculum is one of the best you could ask for. Their clinical rotations are set in one of the greatest medical cities in the US with a lot of medical history and medical hospitals and unique opportunity. But, the cost of living in Philly is outrageous. I am married and can't split the cost of living with someone else. We have a dog. Renters do not accomodate pet owners in Philly, and it seems unlikely that we could afford to buy a home in Philly. My husband is a firefighter and will hopefully find a job out there doing the same- so possibly could afford a home? (any input from anyone who might be in a similar situation?) However, I am not sure what I think of AZCOM's quarter system for their curriculum and overall I think I would like PCOMs curriculum better. But, AZCOM is set in Glendale, AZ where the cost of living is wayyy cheaper than Philly and the people are friendly and I am from a neighboring state so the transition I imagine would be much easier to go to AZCOM. I feel like my pro and con lists for each school are even. The problem, the pros for PCOM are based only on the school and not the environment and personal reasons. The pros for AZCOM are mainly for personal reasons, environment, and location...

What is more important? Obviously you are paying a TON for this education so you'd think curriculum would take precidence. But, I think in order to be successful you should be happy in your environment and I envision myself happier in Glendale than in Philly. I think AZCOM is still a great school; there really isn't such a thing as a "terrible" med school. I think you make of it what you want and you determine your success. I keep wavering...and I need to make a decision SOON, before more $$ is due!

How did you guys decide which school to go to if you had choices? These are the 2 schools that felt like they would be a good fit for me. But for such different reasons and I am not sure what should take precidence: personal reasons or curriculum/educational reasons?

Well if you go to AZCOM, you may have to move 2x if you get stuck in the group that has to move to ohio, so that should add to your decision. Moving 2x could be an even bigger financial burden than just living in philly.

just my .02 cents

I interviewed on 2/16 and recieved my acceptance letter on thursday 2/26 (the letter was dated 2/23). Hope you hear something soon

wow........i guess i will go to Temple.........PCOM is taking a long time......but i love PCOM:love: i want to call them....but i don't want to bug them........:(

not as much as was expected. about 2-4 inches in center city. Enough to cancel classes at Drexel

how was the interview experience? what type of questions did the adcom ask?

thanks for sharing.

Members don't see this ad :)
not as much as was expected. about 2-4 inches in center city. Enough to cancel classes at Drexel

I'm confused. Drexel didn't close! PCOM did though.

I can appreciate the dilemma! But listen, the peoples are right; if you do a craigslist search in the dark, you'd find a reasonable place that'll take pets in no time flat. Philly is notorious for being one of the most affordable cities on the east coast! I'm sure Arizona is a lot cheaper, especially now since Phoenix is imploding from the housing collapse. Would I trade up AZ for PA if I was from NM and had a family to think about? Maybe; there's a lot of opportunity here, as you mentioned it. I would even look a little bit into the future and ask yourself where you want to end up in all liklihood for residency, and further factor that in. If you know you want to move back to the west after schooling, it may be acceptible to just stay. Further, you can always decide to do your elective rotations in Philadelphia/PA. I didn't get a first hand look at the AZ program, but I've heard good things, and I think you'd get a fine education there no problem, no worries at all.

wow........i guess i will go to Temple.........PCOM is taking a long time......but i love PCOM:love: i want to call them....but i don't want to bug them........:(

I'm pretty sure you'll hear today or Saturday. If you feel comfortable, call and find out if they sent you a decision, sometimes they get lost in the mail (like my binder from student activities :/, but I went and picked another one up :) )

thanks for sharing.

Check out the interview feedback to get an answer to this. In my interview they read over my file with more detail then I've ever experienced. That's a good thing of course. Just be ready for the usual questions (why DO, why PCOM, etc) and know your file, and you'll be fine

Be prepared to sit in front of two interviewers. I was unprepared and hence nervous when I walked into that!

thanks for sharing.

It was laid back.....they didn't ask me why DO or why PCOM......they wanted me to explain my my academic experience.....b/c i was a non-trad....so i did....i had to explain how my score went up 9 points on the mcat....and i volunteered the info on why i want to attend the school. I also was asked about my background...

If anyone reads this post, and has gotten an interview invite since the 1st of march, please reply and let us remaining hopefuls know.

I second this. PCOM says that they are still granting interviews, but it could just be for people with special circumstances or donors to the school.

Okay so they called me this morning. I was in the shower.

They left no message, I called back and just got the PCOM switchboard and that lady had no idea either.

I am so displeased right now. I can't believe I missed their phone call! This is going to drive me crazy all day. :scared:

you already had an interview right? Or are you waiting for one?

I interviewed on the 19th and keeep checking my mailbox obsessively hoping to hear from them soon!!!

:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Lithium,
whts the difference between being "alternate" and "waitlisted" at schools? I always thought getting an alternate spot was the same as being waitlisted? SOrry for the random question...:shrug:

On the PCOM financial aid application, it says the maximum federal stafford loan we can apply for is 40500 and then we are asked to specify the amount that we'll be applying for. I'm wondering if that question only asks abt how much Stafford we are applying for or the loan amt we will need for the entire year including living expenses???

If not, is there a separate application for the money needed for living expenses??

Thanks in advance for your response.

I believe they're specifically asking about Stafford. I'm jealous that you can do that right now. We have a tax consultant (private, out of his home) and he died of a heart attack the other day. I feel sorry for his wife; however, right now, I have no idea where my tax documents are in his house and am at a standstill...strange.

To the other couple of people who have posted still hoping for interviews.

I know they're still doing them till mid April, though I cant say when the invites for those end game interviews will end.

I've had additional letters sent, called/emailed, and basically laid myself prostrate. I even had a friend who is currently at PCOM write a letter on my behalf.

I just received an interview invite today (3/6/09) for an interview on April 2nd. I have been complete since late October '08 and I even had my DO LOR written by a physician on their admissions committee. One of the deans there is also an old neighbor. I did just send them an update letter about 3 weeks ago, just letting them know what I have been doing since I submitted the application in October.

They definitely took their time, but I'm very happy to have the invite. Having lived in Philly my whole life, I know how well-respected the school is and I'd love to attend.

Last edited:
I just received an interview invite today (3/6/09) for an interview on April 2nd. I have been complete since late October '08 and I even had my DO LOR written by a physician on their admissions committee. One of the deans there is also an old neighbor. I did just send them an update letter about 3 weeks ago, just letting them know what I have been doing since I submitted the application in October.

They definitely took their time, but I'm very happy to have the invite. Having lived in Philly my whole life, I know how well-respected the school is and I'd love to attend.

Another Philly person!
Congrat's on the interview.

I'm from South Philly, I interviewed on Wednesday. I hope I get accepted so I can come back home. They told us to expect a letter by 3/17, should we believe that?

Another Philly person!
Congrat's on the interview.

Thanks Bacchus. That's very sad. I hope they find your documents.

I believe they're specifically asking about Stafford. I'm jealous that you can do that right now. We have a tax consultant (private, out of his home) and he died of a heart attack the other day. I feel sorry for his wife; however, right now, I have no idea where my tax documents are in his house and am at a standstill...strange.

For the upperclassmen reading this, do we need BLS certification before matriculation? I know several schools require this but I don't remember anything in the binder.

no, you get bcls at end of first year and acls during rotations so that it is valid when you start internship

I interviewed March 5th, and they told us we should hear back by the 17th, but I'm really hoping to hear back before then.

oh ok....i interviewed on feb 17th and they told us we would also hear something by 3/17. This is too stressful, I think my blood pressure is rising :p

i think they are for a select few.....they are already into the 1st week of april......i don't think they will be going beyond the first week of april....maybe the 2nd at most.....than that's it....

I interviewed 2/23 and they told us we would hear from them in 4 weeks. So far it has been exactly 2 and still no word from them.

Someone posted on here that he interviewed on the 2/16 and his acceptance letter was post-marked 2/23. Therefore, their committee must have met right before my interview date.

I guess all we can do is wait :xf:

Can anyone tell me when the interview day ends? I'm trying to set up my transportation. thanks!

Has anyone that interviewed on Feb 19 heard back?

So is anyone going to get a new laptop before we start at PCOM? I'm thinking about getting one of those ultra-portable laptops, not the net books, I think they are crap, but the good and expensive ones.

Right now I am torn between a Macbook Air and a Thinkpad X301. Both are powerful with SSDs and both are approx. 3 lbs. Anyone here with any of those? Also I'm curious at what you guys want to get.

So is anyone going to get a new laptop before we start at PCOM? I'm thinking about getting one of those ultra-portable laptops, not the net books, I think they are crap, but the good and expensive ones.

Right now I am torn between a Macbook Air and a Thinkpad X301. Both are powerful with SSDs and both are approx. 3 lbs. Anyone here with any of those? Also I'm curious at what you guys want to get.

I'm saving all my pennies to do the same. Here's my take, and my vote is we keep this in this thread, and not move it to the tech forum, cause we don't have much to say here anyhow-

Why are you thinking the airbook, anyhow? I don't want to dissuade you, but DON'T DO IT!!! J/k

I have a 17" powerbook g4 1.33 GHz PowerPC processor with 2Gig memory now. It's slowed down considerably, and that's to be expected; the universal software coming out to accomodate both Intel dual and Power PC I think is having a taxing effect on performance for the older laptops. I've logged 5 years on this one in May, so I'm happy with the experience. That being said, the new Macbook 13" 's are looking fine and the price is definetely right (and 2 lbs heavier than airbook, which is nominal). With any extra cash I may have left over (and that's not looking probable right now), I'll invest in a cinema display for home, so I can plug it in and make it a desktop.

I'm saving all my pennies to do the same. Here's my take, and my vote is we keep this in this thread, and not move it to the tech forum, cause we don't have much to say here anyhow-

Why are you thinking the airbook, anyhow? I don't want to dissuade you, but DON'T DO IT!!! J/k

Seriously, don't do it! Why would you spend thousands on something that you'll just take notes on and play music/vidoes? It's a waste of money

I'm getting one of these. It's under 3 pounds so it's very light. It can run open office so you can open word and powerpoints stuff easily. And how much is it? 299 for everything!

Now I'm not a dell sales person, but it just hurts me to see people say they'll spend thousands when they don't need to. We're not doctors yet!! :)

Seriously, don't do it! Why would you spend thousands on something that you'll just take notes on and play music/vidoes? It's a waste of money

I'm getting one of these. It's under 3 pounds so it's very light. It can run open office so you can open word and powerpoints stuff easily. And how much is it? 299 for everything!

Now I'm not a dell sales person, but it just hurts me to see people say they'll spend thousands when they don't need to. We're not doctors yet!! :)

No offense, but I would rather spend a thousand dollars on a better laptop. That's a netbook and a Dell... Bleh. :p I've never heard good things about a Dell and a netbook. They are very limited in features and for a main laptop, I don't think its even worth the $299. I think my Ipod touch can do a lot of the things that can. I would rather spend my hard earned cash on a nice laptop that is full of features so I don't regret down the road for getting a netbook and not a normal laptop. I'm a type of person thats always on the computer. Anyways, that's my opinion, and I respect yours, but no way I'm dealing with a netbook with a crappy keyboard and a 10'' screen for 18 hours a day.

Last edited:
I'm not getting a new computer until my loans are processed and I get my refund -- I won't have money to do so prior to that. That said, I really want to get a desktop but I don't think the practicality of that will be much :(.

anyone hear anything from admissions lately??

....impatiently waiting. :confused: