This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DermDOcGenZ

Reaction score
PCOM-GA: Pros:

• Established reputation as a top medical school with strong clinical training opportunities
  • Location in Atlanta, GA provides access to a large medical community and diverse patient populations
  • Emphasis on community service and commitment to producing physicians who are dedicated to improving health outcomes in underserved communities
  • Strong connections with residency programs in the region and across the United States
  • Proven track record of successful graduates who go on to excel in their medical careers
Cons:
  • Cost of living in Atlanta, GA can be high compared to other areas
  • Potential for large class sizes
TouroCOM-Montana: Pros:

• Strong emphasis on hands-on training and clinical experience from early on in the program
  • Small class sizes, allowing for more individualized attention from faculty
  • Location in a beautiful area with access to outdoor recreational opportunities
  • Focus on training physicians to work in rural and underserved communities
  • Opportunities for Neurology and Dermatology research GAURENTEED and community involvement
Cons:

• Limited opportunities for clinical rotations due to the location in a more rural area
  • Less established reputation compared to some other medical schools
  • Less diverse patient populations to work with compared to larger cities
  • Limited connections with residency programs outside of the surrounding region
Overall, both PCOM-GA and TouroCOM-Montana have their unique strengths and weaknesses. I would just like general advice and see if there is a clear winner. Many of my friends said go to PCOM-GA. I also was given a seat at Wayne State, but have no interest in Detroit, Michigan or Allopathic medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

You should strongly consider Wayne State as it saves you from having to taking additional board exams and would provide greater flexibility for residency options down the line.

I would not consider Touro Montana due to how new it is.

Reactions: 2 users
PCOM GA is not in Atlanta. Its in Suwanee, which its a 30 minute drive from ATL.

I would go there over, Montana, whose first class you will be a part of. Also, from my research on Touro Montana, it is not in the breathtaking region/landscape part of Montana that people think of when they think Montana.

These schools compete with other regions' medical schools for clinical rotations.
I would highly suggest you go to Wayne State to avoid having to deal with COMLEX/potentially having to fight an uphill battle if you choose to pursue a competitive residency.

Wayne>>>>PCOM GA>> Touro Montana

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wayne State and it’s not even close!

Even if this was between Wayne State and PCOM Philly, Wayne State wins in a land slide. Turning down a rock solid MD school for secondary and tertiary campuses of DO schools is such a huge mistake that my mind is blown right now.

I grew up in Detroit with lots of family in Atlanta. Give the city a chance as it’s very similar to Atlanta! The area surrounding Wayne State’s med school is filled with diverse people in their 20s visiting museums, enjoying cheap rent, trendy coffee stores, and trying global cuisine. Plus, all the stadiums for the major teams are close by and the tickets (minus the Lions and Redwings) are usually pretty cheap.

Seriously, this would be a terrible mistake picking brand new DO campuses over an established MD school, especially if you want to become a Derm as your name suggests.

Reactions: 1 user