PCOM or Touro Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.RickSanchez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

Sorry to add yet another thread like this to the pile but I would appreciate any feedback possible regarding a decision on acceptance between PCOM and Touro Nevada. As far as cost of living goes I am not too worried about it, I am just concerned about facilities, the respective cities, faculty, residency opportunities etc. I think Touro Nevada is going to be making a much larger name for itself, their new dean seems like someone who gets work done. However, PCOM has one of the best reputations among DO schools, if I'm not mistaken. Help me out SDN!

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to give input.

Members don't see this ad.

Which PCOM Campus? if Pa, then PCOM all the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only reason to choose Touro NV would be if you want to avoid snow or if you want to stay near family from CA, NV, UT, etc. But as far as institutions go with facilities, reputation, residency opportunities, etc etc. PCOM all the way (both GA and PA).

I interviewed at Touro NV and although the Dean seems promising, he's only one person. It's hard to change a system that's been in place for so many years because the rest of the faculty has been doing things for a certain way already. I noticed dramatic differences in the way the Dean spoke vs. how my interviewers spoke and interacted with me.... almost hard to believe I was in the same school.

PCOM.

Their new dean is from our school at kcu, he essentially took a blue print of our curriculum and is touting it to be their own which at this point, isn't close to what our curriculum is now because it's change a bit every year. We still have the masterminds of the curriculum at our school.

Talk at the end of the day is talk. You want to see the results. PCOM is a reputable DO school and for what it's worth, had all philly Med students (Jefferson, UPenn, Temple, Penn State, Drexel) come by when they hosted their neurosurgical symposium and conference.

Additionally, PCOM has an enormous amount of research and clinical opportunities at the school and around the city. Touro NV has very sparse research and in all honestly their location is not the most ideal in finding research either.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
PCOM.

Their new dean is from our school at kcu, he essentially took a blue print of our curriculum and is touting it to be their own which at this point, isn't close to what our curriculum is now because it's change a bit every year. We still have the masterminds of the curriculum at our school.

Talk at the end of the day is talk. You want to see the results. PCOM is a reputable DO school and for what it's worth, had all philly Med students (Jefferson, UPenn, Temple, Penn State, Drexel) come by when they hosted their neurosurgical symposium and conference.

Additionally, PCOM has an enormous amount of research and clinical opportunities at the school and around the city. Touro NV has very sparse research and in all honestly their location is not the most ideal in finding research either.

@AlteredScale the Dean was annoying then. He kept boasting how he was the mastermind behind KCU's curriculum and how he's going to have his Touro NV students perform better on average on COMLEX than KCU students. I think it's good that he's board focused, but seems like he's attributing more credit for KCU's success in his own hands than he deserves.

@AlteredScale the Dean was annoying then. He kept boasting how he was the mastermind behind KCU's curriculum and how he's going to have his Touro NV students perform better on average on COMLEX than KCU students. I think it's good that he's board focused, but seems like he's attributing more credit for KCU's success in his own hands than he deserves.

That's hilarious haha. Oh well, we have a new dean now who is focused a bit more on how we can get engaged with patients earlier in the KC community. Boards is still important but the direction is a bit more multi faceted.

Reactions: 1 user

That's funny, I wonder how Dr. Dubin would feel about this

Thanks for the input everyone, its truly appreciated. My gut told me PCOM was the better school speaking generally. However, regarding Touro - never underestimate the influence a go-getter can have on an establishment. I am going to be watching Touro NV to see how its performance changes in the next few months...

But yes you are completely correct that the new dean was very boards focused, and not so much patient focused in his approach.

Thanks for the input everyone, its truly appreciated. My gut told me PCOM was the better school speaking generally. However, regarding Touro - never underestimate the influence a go-getter can have on an establishment. I am going to be watching Touro NV to see how its performance changes in the next few months...

But yes you are completely correct that the new dean was very boards focused, and not so much patient focused in his approach.

If the whole faculty had the same mindset I'd agree with you. But it seems like only the Dean was like that, and the rest of the faculty and staff seem to be running on a different page than him.

no disrespect OP but I can't even believe this is a thread... Unless your family was in LV there is no reason to go to touro over PCOM... like ever.

Reactions: 1 users

Will that affect student's performance during rotation and subsequently residency? I understand that a board score is important but I would rather prefer having good clinical skills.