PCOM-PA Biomedical Sciences to DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suburbanfreckles

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I’m currently an undergraduate senior and will be graduating this May. I have a 3.53 cgpa with an upward trend and I get my MCAT score this Tuesday (so nervous)! (EDIT: MCAT 506 (125, 126, 127, 128) I recently read on here about the biomedical sciences master program at PCOM and it’s link to the DO program. I am very interested in PCOM and plan to apply this May along with other DO schools.

For my gap year I was originally considering working as a CNA but after reading about this program and the option to leave after the first year to enter a DO program I’m wondering if it’s worth the money?

If anyone can tell me more about this program and specifically the PA location I would greatly appreciate it! I’ve read some mixed opinions about the GA campus but I am not interested in attending there.

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you can get into the DO program, it is not worth doing. A 3.53 GPA is totally fine to get accepted. Only do the biomed program or any masters if you are desperate. You will already be racking up plenty of debt in the 4 years of the DO program, especially at PCOM.

@Goro I would love your opinion (you helped me out before when I was deciding when to take the MCAT). Do you think my application would benefit from this program? And my chances of getting into PCOM-PA?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should apply to the schools and if you do not get any response by April or May you can then apply to the biomed program at PCOM. Plenty of time to do that as most apps get in late from those who are not getting love from schools.

Depends what your MCAT is. You'll need a 504+ to stand a shot.
You from PA? They're regionally bias, much like MSUCOM and other surrounding schools.

Yes I'm from PA. I get my MCAT score tomorrow!
It's very tough to have a dream school, bc med school is a crap shoot.
What were your prac scores?

Apply to PCOM obvi, but def have a broad app so you can make sure you land an acceptance.

You will be in class 2024?
There's an explosion of schools opening in 2020. Your match year will be interesting.

The de-valuing of the DO degree is worrying with such expansion. Something to think about - be comfortable with going into PC.

It's very tough to have a dream school, bc med school is a crap shoot.
What were your prac scores?

Apply to PCOM obvi, but def have a broad app so you can make sure you land an acceptance.

You will be in class 2024?
There's an explosion of schools opening in 2020. Your match year will be interesting.

The de-valuing of the DO degree is worrying with such expansion. Something to think about - be comfortable with going into PC.
Totally off topic but I find it hilarious how many of my fellow first year DO students have told me that there is no way they will do primary care. That thought process wont age well.

Totally off topic but I find it hilarious how many of my fellow first year DO students have told me that there is no way they will do primary care. That thought process wont age well.
Ignorant babies.
I knew coming into this I'd be alright doing gen IM, heck I really just wanted to be a doctor.
Looking forward to psych/gen surg/IM rotations next year though!

Ignorant babies.
I knew coming into this I'd be alright doing gen IM, heck I really just wanted to be a doctor.
Looking forward to psych/gen surg/IM rotations next year though!
Same here. I'd rather be any kind of doctor than do any other job.

This is how I feel as well! But is it really that difficult to get into a speciality as a DO?
Not really. But it's much less common.
All you can do is take USMLE, score well, and you'll have options.

Just don't go into osteo school and expect to be neurosurg or derm when you get out.

Having said that, the last class at my school had... 2 mayo clinic matches (ENT and neurosurg), 9+ gen surg, 1 ortho, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is how I feel as well! But is it really that difficult to get into a speciality as a DO?
Yea I agree with what was said above. It's just that anything that was already hard (ortho is hard for MDs too) is harder for DOs. DO schools tend to push for primary care as well. Some specialties have almost zero difference based on letters at the end of your name. Specialties that come to mind are PM&R (DOs are actually really well suited for this), anesthesia, neuro, rads EM, and OB/GYN.

As for fellowships, that is usually based on where you go to residency more than your degree.

Update: MCAT score 506 (125, 126, 127, 128). I am not applying this cycle (since its so late) but I plan to apply May 2020. Still considering going to one year program with PCOM and am also looking into Brown's gateway program. I would rather stay active in academics than anything else for my gap year

Update: MCAT score 506 (125, 126, 127, 128). I am not applying this cycle (since its so late) but I plan to apply May 2020. Still considering going to one year program with PCOM and am also looking into Brown's gateway program. I would rather stay active in academics than anything else for my gap year
There's more to an app than academics though. Esp for DO schools.

There's more to an app than academics though. Esp for DO schools.

I have 700 hours of research, 100 volunteering at a hospital, 300 volunteering abroad in developing countries assisting medical doctors and promoting health education, and this year im starting to volunteer at the local Pregnancy Resource Clinic and I am a Healthy Penn State Ambassador.

Do you think I should be doing something else for my gap year?

I have 700 hours of research, 100 volunteering at a hospital, 300 volunteering abroad in developing countries assisting medical doctors and promoting health education, and this year im starting to volunteer at the local Pregnancy Resource Clinic and I am a Healthy Penn State Ambassador.

Do you think I should be doing something else for my gap year?
Working (not volunteering) seems to be the missing peice in your app IMO.
Be a scribe or "MA" for a clinic in a hospital, so you can really dive into the operations of health care.

You'll be dealing with a vast number of school openings around that time, which will increase competition.
You need to cover all bases and have XY and Z to talk about and impress at your interview invites, which your stats alone should grant you.

Is sGPA below cGPA?
In that case you are running it close and may want to show you can get 4.0's in upper level courses.

With the advice from above pursued, a 506 is plenty to get into PCOMs DO program.

Working (not volunteering) seems to be the missing peice in your app IMO.
Be a scribe or "MA" for a clinic in a hospital, so you can really dive into the operations of health care.

You'll be dealing with a vast number of school openings around that time, which will increase competition.
You need to cover all bases and have XY and Z to talk about and impress at your interview invites, which your stats alone should grant you.

Is sGPA below cGPA?
In that case you are running it close and may want to show you can get 4.0's in upper level courses.

I had a difficult freshman year and got a few C's in chem. As of right now I have a 3.53 cgpa and a 3.4 sgpa. My last few semesters have been mostly upper level science and I've gotten a 3.75 and a 3.8 those semesters.

With the advice from above pursued, a 506 is plenty to get into PCOMs DO program.

Awesome! So you don't think a program with PCOM or Brown for my gap year is worth my time? I was considering working as a CNA also. I'd rather work as a MA but that involves a master's program I believe.

Awesome! So you don't think a program with PCOM or Brown for my gap year is worth my time? I was considering working as a CNA also. I'd rather work as a MA but that involves a master's program I believe.
Depends where you go.

I worked as an "MA" - took BP, spoke to patient directly about thier chief complaint, did laser light therapy, even did some billing and outpatient - but it was bc I was working for a surgery pain clinic in a recently bankrupt foreign bought hospital. I learned a lot from these guys, but the rules were much looser, shall we say, in this hospital than in average America I would say.

Just apply as a scribe on Indeed and something should hit.

I had a difficult freshman year and got a few C's in chem. As of right now I have a 3.53 cgpa and a 3.4 sgpa. My last few semesters have been mostly upper level science and I've gotten a 3.75 and a 3.8 those semesters.
You should be fine. Who knows though. I know people who didn't get into PCOM with 508's and 3.6's.
Have a broad app to other surrounding schools - LECOM (but PBL sounds horrible to me), CCOM (very high tuition though), etc.

Save the money and do something else. Being a CNA or MA would be great.