PCOM-PA vs VCOM-VA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cinnamonroll121

Reaction score
Hello All!!

I am having trouble deciding between two schools PCOM-PA and VCOM-VA. I have to decide soon to put a deposit down!

For reference, I am from a suburb of Pittsburgh, PA. PCOM is about 4.5 hours and VCOM is about 5.5 hours. The closer the better. I have visited both schools after the interviews. PCOM was more city than I thought it would be and is not what I'm used to. I liked VCOM's campus much more, especially with all of the VT amenities I could use. Specialty-wise, I have always enjoyed anesthesiology and emergency, but I could also see myself doing primary care. So, I guess I really have no idea lol.

COMLEX pass rates seem to vary. PCOM's first-time pass rates are about 6-8 percentages lower. For example, the PCOM COMLEX 1 rate is 92.2%, where VCOM is 99%. Is this concerning? I am also concerned with rotations. I cannot find a rotation list for PCOM. Are they the bigger hospital in the Philly area? Is that a major plus? I believe all of VCOM's rotations are in Virginia or farther south, which is farther from home. Also PCOM does not have mandatory classes nor a dress code, which is a plus for me.

I know PCOM is a much more established and well-known school in the medical world of things. Is this the obvious choice? I believe I will adjust to the campus and lifestyle there, I am just concerned with the pass rate and my lack of knowledge of the rotation sites.

Any input I would love to hear! This year has been kinda hard without having the full interview day and tour. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

PCOM all the way, they have established residency programs directly associated with the school. As far as anesthesiology they are regularly matching great Philly programs. They definitely have the win when it comes to matching. However lots of other things to consider like COL

Reactions: 1 users
PCOM all the way, they have established residency programs directly associated with the school. As far as anesthesiology they are regularly matching great Philly programs. They definitely have the win when it comes to matching. However lots of other things to consider like COL
Great thank you! Do you know much about the rotation sites?

Members don't see this ad :)
22238BBA-EF7C-497A-B069-2A5B2FEEF6A4.png

I was able to find it!

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone else speak about the COMLEX preparation for PCOM? I am in a similar situation with PCOM vs NYIT vs Touro-Harlem and the only thing I'd really like to know more about is why there is such a difference in board pass rates! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone else speak about the COMLEX preparation for PCOM? I am in a similar situation with PCOM vs NYIT vs Touro-Harlem and the only thing I'd really like to know more about is why there is such a difference in board pass rates! :)

IMO Touro-Harlem/middletown shouldn't even be considered if you have acceptances to PCOM or NYIT...Unless you have extenuating circumstances, scholarships, family, etc