PCOM ?'s...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
well i have an interview at PCOM coming up. i know there has been some talk about this institution previously but does anyone want to suggest things that i should look out for? questions i should ask, things to be aware of that most would not think of? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The interview is (as w/ the case for many other schools) very laid back. It's a get-to-know-you session and not a personal grilling. There's no formula for which questions you should ask, only the ones that you have about the school. Perhaps one thing you might ask, however, is what effect the closing of the City Avenue Hospital will have on the students. This closing had not been announced when I interviewed so it was not an issue at the time. I did later call the school to ask and they gave me some information. But it would be something you might want to ask, as it would show you are up to date on what is happening with the school.

thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Greg,

Don't forget to visit:
Interviewfeedback.com

Just wanted to add to what Smile said, the PCOM interview is generally pretty laid back. They will ask you about points of interest in your resumee/application like interesting experiences. They will ask some tough questions if they are apparent or if you get a griller on that day. For instance, they asked me what my father as an MD thought about me going to a DO school for which I had to choose wording pretty carefully. Just try to anticipate if you have any holes in your app or points that may raise obvious questions and prepare answers for them. Most of all relax cause it's not that bad!

Good luck.

P.S. I am a second year about to start rotations and the closing of City avenue hospitals does not really affect you because the faculty members that worked there will be relocated to MCP which is close by and have all committed to staying on as teaching faculty to my knowledge. Also, PCOM has 10 affiliated hospitals in Philadelphia, and more in the surrounding locations that have always been used for the "core rotations". Clerkships were never solely done in City Avenue so these sites have long been established and do not even include all of the away sites that are from 1 hr. to 3 hrs. away in the tri-state area. All of the affiliated hospitals are within 30-45 min. of school (which if you know philly is as close as anything in the city) and they have merely added a few rotations and shifted interns/residents to the other sites. Of course the question is on all of our minds what will happen after it actually goes through, but I can tell you, it's not going to be as bad as it may sound.