PCOM vs RowanSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I like your comment, but not your situation. LOL

Haha me neither. My fault for going to get sushi instead of subway at school. Oh well. Looks like an all nighter for me!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha me neither. My fault for going to get sushi instead of subway at school. Oh well. Looks like an all nighter for me!

Hard to resist sushi. I have a real love for poke. It is just to die for...

NSP_0487.jpg

Hard to resist sushi. I have a real love for poke. It is just to die for...

View attachment 187861
Would it be foolish to accept an attending position one day based solely on the quality of sushi?

Because that is debatably my plan right now. I have sushi issues. As in, I worry I may get mercury poisoning....

I was going to go make a fake ID (BreezyisBack) but got lazy...

Reactions: 2 users
Would it be foolish to accept an attending position one day based solely on the quality of sushi?

Because that is debatably my plan right now. I have sushi issues. As in, I worry I may get mercury poisoning....

Dude, we're going to Hawaii. Aloha sushi!

Edit: Umm.. on topicness... can't go wrong, OP, but I think I'd probably check out Rowan if it's possible before deciding.

Reactions: 3 users

I wouldn't blame you. It is basically an addiction. A friend and I were traveling to Cali. from Hawaii to visit his brother. He would ask my friend to bring poke every time he visits. This is a 5-6 hour flight, so you need to handle it almost like a heart being transported for transplant. It is that addicting.

Bumping this thread really quick - is the fact that RowanSOM is a state school mean that they offer more opportunities (research, clinical, etc) than private schools such as PCOM? what is the advantage of being a state school??

Bumping this thread really quick - is the fact that RowanSOM is a state school mean that they offer more opportunities (research, clinical, etc) than private schools such as PCOM? what is the advantage of being a state school??

In the DO world (not sure about the certainty of these statements to the MD world): Usually being a public medical school means more research opportunities and being affiliated with strong teaching hospitals and/or your own university hospital.

If you look at TCOM, MSUCOM, OSUCOM, or OUHCOM they are all very strong programs with next door research opportunities.

You can also perhaps judge the level of research opps by the degrees that are offered, I believe Rowan and MSUCOM and OUCOM offer the DO/PhD program.

So yeah, more research, potential better clinical experiences, and university environment.

Reactions: 1 users
In the DO world (not sure about the certainty of these statements to the MD world): Usually being a public medical school means more research opportunities and being affiliated with strong teaching hospitals and/or your own university hospital.

If you look at TCOM, MSUCOM, OSUCOM, or OUHCOM they are all very strong programs with next door research opportunities.

You can also perhaps judge the level of research opps by the degrees that are offered, I believe Rowan and MSUCOM and OUCOM offer the DO/PhD program.

So yeah, more research, potential better clinical experiences, and university environment.
I see. PCOM also has a DO/PhD program, and I believe they have partnerships with surrounding universities, although they don't have a university themselves. Is it the same effect? Sorry for all the questions!

I see. PCOM also has a DO/PhD program, and I believe they have partnerships with surrounding universities, although they don't have a university themselves. Is it the same effect? Sorry for all the questions!

Yeah I def would say PCOM is also very strong and right on the same line of "competition" as the state DO schools! No worries!

I can't really comment on RowanSOM, but i'm currently at PCOM now. I would suggest PCOM. PCOM is well respected in the Philly area, if you take a look at residencies from the 5 medical schools in Philadelphia (Including UPenn), you'll see PCOM residents there. Maybe not that many at UPenn there are some. As far as the other schools, i've noticed they have a lot of PCOM grads in their programs as well. Also if you're looking to do surgery I would recommend PCOM. From what I can tell PCOM's surgery programs are very good. I cant seem to find the list, but back in October PCOM sent out a message to where our general surgery residents were going for fellowships, and from I remember our GS residents matched ACGME trauma and cardiothoracic fellowships.

Yes I randomly researched about PCOM graduates (I got really interested into DO schools around this time last year) and found a plethora of this. Found at least 3-4 former PCOM students who are doing residencies at UPenn. Agreed, their surgery programs are highly regarded. Definitely well known in Philadelphia's region from what I've heard.

Reactions: 1 users