PCR denaturing temp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fuculokinase

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to an MS/DO program and I wanted to help out in a laboratory beforehand to get a good feel of a particular lab I'll be working in, but I'm actually now conducting research under a professor. I don't mind it, especially since I could get published, but it's been two years since I graduated and I didn't realize how much I forgot. For instance, I can't for the life of me remember how many micrograms of what I'm supposed to add to a PCR reaction. The professor showed me exactly what she wanted and at what degrees/minutes, and one of them throw me off. In a particular PCR reaction I set up last week the denaturing step is at 98°C compared to what I was taught which was 94°C. My question is strange and may be totally pointless for a premedicine forum since it's mainly just a question to appease my curiosity at 1am, but I was wondering if temperatures were set up differently for specific polymerases. I'm using pyrococcus furiosis compared to thermus aquaticus. Do they work best at different temperatures?

Members don't see this ad.

Denaturing temp is usually 92-95 depends on GC ratio. Polymerase usually don't affect denature temp, rather, manufacture will give you recommended elongation temp, usually 68-72. If you are troubleshooting your pcr, always start with gradient pcr. It will be much helpful if you post it on research gate.

Reactions: 1 user
For the future: Google, ResearchGate, PubMed

In that order

Members don't see this ad :)
I use 94 or 95 degrees for all for my denaturing steps.

I'm applying to an MS/DO program and I wanted to help out in a laboratory beforehand to get a good feel of a particular lab I'll be working in, but I'm actually now conducting research under a professor. I don't mind it, especially since I could get published, but it's been two years since I graduated and I didn't realize how much I forgot. For instance, I can't for the life of me remember how many micrograms of what I'm supposed to add to a PCR reaction. The professor showed me exactly what she wanted and at what degrees/minutes, and one of them throw me off. In a particular PCR reaction I set up last week the denaturing step is at 98°C compared to what I was taught which was 94°C. My question is strange and may be totally pointless for a premedicine forum since it's mainly just a question to appease my curiosity at 1am, but I was wondering if temperatures were set up differently for specific polymerases. I'm using pyrococcus furiosis compared to thermus aquaticus. Do they work best at different temperatures?

This could also be elevation dependent if you are at >4000 feet