PCSOM vs. Post-Bac for Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocko101878

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone, I have searched for this information, and found a few threads touching on the subject, but nothing specific to what my dilemna is.

I have been admitted to PCSOM, but no others, and probably will not be. I have also been admitted to the Post-Bac programs at both VCOM and PCOM. While I know the ultimate goal is to gain admittance into medical school, I would like to possibly get a surgical residency, and just do not know if PCSOM really has a match list outside of family/internal medicine. From what I have heard doctors in Lexington say, as well as simply viewing allopathic residents in surgery (they are simply easier to find than osteopathic), it does not appear that PCSOM matches well into more competitive areas.

If one is desiring a more competitive specialty, would it be better to attend the Post-Bac at, say PCOM, which is well-known to place graduates into Neurosurgery, Derm, etc., so General Surgery would be an excellent possibility as well. I was told as long as I maintained a 3.0 gpa in the program, I would be assured an interview at least, upon its conclusion. While I know this is not a guaranteed acceptance, I'm just trying to decide whether to roll the dice; PCOM matches a ton of people into surgical residency, and it doesn't hurt that they have their own programs, which are very biased towards PCOM students.

If it REALLY matters what school one goes to, I may decide on the Post-Bac route, however if the school doesn't matter, PCSOM would be perfectly fine with me. I'm simply looking for a few opinions on the matter. To be clear, I don't care whether the GS residency is allopathic or osteopathic, so if anyone has the PCSOM match list, I would love to see it.

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

bird-in-hand.jpg