Pcsom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raven Feather

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview coming up at Pikeville and was reading their catalogue. The tuition is 28K and it states that this includes all books, all "scopes", laptop, coats, scrubs, class for COMLEX, and the price of both tests. If all that is calculated then this may very well be the college of lowest tuition for out of staters. LECOM's tuition is 25k not including all the above.....is there at catch to providing all this by PCSOM? Like, does a student normally have to buy additional books so it is not that big a deal, is there budget lower for living expenses or something?

Members don't see this ad.

Raven Feather said:
I have an interview coming up at Pikeville and was reading their catalogue. The tuition is 28K and it states that this includes all books, all "scopes", laptop, coats, scrubs, class for COMLEX, and the price of both tests. If all that is calculated then this may very well be the college of lowest tuition for out of staters. LECOM's tuition is 25k not including all the above.....is there at catch to providing all this by PCSOM? Like, does a student normally have to buy additional books so it is not that big a deal, is there budget lower for living expenses or something?
Hey Raven Feather,
They also throw in a cool carrying sachel for the laptop, and a portable OP&P table!! I interviewed there on the 24th of Sept. and I'm almost positive there is no catch. The school budget is 38K annually so tuition plus 10K for living expenses. It was a great experience for me. The first and second year students were really cool, and so were the profs I met that interviewed me (anatomy and bioethics). The small town doesn't bother me much and everything is so close that it adds convienence. There seems to be a real sence of comradery amongst faculty and students which was a breath of fresh air coming from a Ugrad with 20K+ students. Small class size is also a huge plus for me. The interview was like all the feedbacks say, very conversational. They did not asked me any ethical Q's, Grade Q's, or MCAT Q's, we pretty much just chatted about different things. If you have any interview questions let me know. but as for your original question, there is no catch.

drgreeneatutk said:
Hey Raven Feather,
They also throw in a cool carrying sachel for the laptop, and a portable OP&P table!! I interviewed there on the 24th of Sept. and I'm almost positive there is no catch. The school budget is 38K annually so tuition plus 10K for living expenses. It was a great experience for me. The first and second year students were really cool, and so were the profs I met that interviewed me (anatomy and bioethics). The small town doesn't bother me much and everything is so close that it adds convienence. There seems to be a real sence of comradery amongst faculty and students which was a breath of fresh air coming from a Ugrad with 20K+ students. Small class size is also a huge plus for me. The interview was like all the feedbacks say, very conversational. They did not asked me any ethical Q's, Grade Q's, or MCAT Q's, we pretty much just chatted about different things. If you have any interview questions let me know. but as for your original question, there is no catch.
I am an OMSII at PCSOM and you have to sign on to work in Appalachia for at least 5 years........ :scared: Other than that there is no catch. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
drgreeneatutk said:
Hey Raven Feather,

I come from a small town myself and wouldn't mind going to a smaller school at all. I will probably come up with some more questions closer to my interview time which is Nov. 19.

It sounds great!

dcratamt said:
I am an OMSII at PCSOM and you have to sign on to work in Appalachia for at least 5 years........ :scared: Other than that there is no catch. :laugh:

Seriously? I don't like the idea of that b/c there are never any guarantees in life. How can I say 10 years from now that I will want to practice 5 yrs in the region, not only me (as an out of the region applicant), but even people from Appalachia? Hmmmmm......it never said that anywhere I read.

Raven Feather said:
Seriously? I don't like the idea of that b/c there are never any guarantees in life. How can I say 10 years from now that I will want to practice 5 yrs in the region, not only me (as an out of the region applicant), but even people from Appalachia? Hmmmmm......it never said that anywhere I read.
I haven't heard about this 5-year contract either. I know OUCOM does but I didn't think it existed anywhere else. After reading Raven Feather's original post I thought wow! this is a great deal but it gets a big :thumbdown: now.

FutureDocDO said:
I haven't heard about this 5-year contract either. I know OUCOM does but I didn't think it existed anywhere else. After reading Raven Feather's original post I thought wow! this is a great deal but it gets a big :thumbdown: now.

That is kinda what I am thinking now too! :eek:

At what point do they mention this to applicants?

I do recall Ohio having one sign the 5 yr contract--I didn't apply there.

Anyone else know of other schools that make you sign contracts that you will work in the region after completion of training?

If there's a contract, PCSOM should be upfront about it like OUCOM.

I graduated last year. There is no contract if you go there.

There is the Kentucky scholarship which if you are from Ky and agree to practice IM,FP,OB,Peds or Psyche in a underserved Ky county, the state will pay enough of your tuition to bring your annual cost equal to what in staters pay at UK and UofL - something like 12 or 13k I think. Its a year for year committment, with a BIG penalty if you change your mind.

PCSOM gives all the students a brand new, LOADED dell laptop, OMT table, oto/opthalmo, stethoscope, and all your required texts for first and second year. You may find you want to buy some review books like NMS or BRS or high yield but these are all in the library and not everyone used them. You may also want to get a few extra books during your 3rd 4th years depending on your interests. The only limitation I experienced was you only get 1 labcoat a 1 scrubset - you will need more. Most of the hospitals will let you get scrub service as a med student once you start rotations.

unk_fxn said:
I graduated last year. There is no contract if you go there.

There is the Kentucky scholarship which if you are from Ky and agree to practice IM,FP,OB,Peds or Psyche in a underserved Ky county, the state will pay enough of your tuition to bring your annual cost equal to what in staters pay at UK and UofL - something like 12 or 13k I think. Its a year for year committment, with a BIG penalty if you change your mind.

PCSOM gives all the students a brand new, LOADED dell laptop, OMT table, oto/opthalmo, stethoscope, and all your required texts for first and second year. You may find you want to buy some review books like NMS or BRS or high yield but these are all in the library and not everyone used them. You may also want to get a few extra books during your 3rd 4th years depending on your interests. The only limitation I experienced was you only get 1 labcoat a 1 scrubset - you will need more. Most of the hospitals will let you get scrub service as a med student once you start rotations.
Yeah guys i was just kidding there is no contract. Seems too good to be true but it is. Free books, computer, OMT table, Kaplan review for boards as well as board fees. Oh yeah and all the equipment. :thumbup:

dcratamt said:
Yeah guys i was just kidding there is no contract. Seems too good to be true but it is. Free books, computer, OMT table, Kaplan review for boards as well as board fees. Oh yeah and all the equipment. :thumbup:
Uhh...thanks for clarifying that up AFTER another poster has already done so. That was so wicked.

dcratamt said:

That was not very nice! I'm coming to get you! :smuggrin:

Anybody know the pass rate on boards?

Members don't see this ad :)
Raven Feather said:
Anybody know the pass rate on boards?
Glad to see you have a sense of humor. The pass rate for last year was 93% or something. Basically about three people didn't pass. Your interview is Nov 19th? I will try and be there to meet you. Good luck.

dcratamt said:
Glad to see you have a sense of humor. The pass rate for last year was 93% or something. Basically about three people didn't pass. Your interview is Nov 19th? I will try and be there to meet you. Good luck.

How will you know I am me? Watch out, I may trip you in the halls for your contract joke!

FutureDocDO said:

Clear your PMs, Im trying to pm you and it says it is full. ;)

drgreeneatutk said:
Hey Raven Feather,

10K? That is not a whole lot of money for someone who cannot work. Is the cost of living VERY low or something?

Raven Feather said:
10K? That is not a whole lot of money for someone who cannot work. Is the cost of living VERY low or something?

Hey, I'm a first year at PCSOM this year... our budget was actually 47K total, so you really get 20K for expenses (remember, you don't have to take out the max, I actually do know people who are making it on around 10K... budget budget budget ;) )

Anyway, good luck on everyone's upcoming interviews at PCSOM, I'll probably see you. Any other ?'s, feel free to PM me...

Oh... as far as the original post... I agree with others, it's about the best deal you can find. Everything you need is included and if you want other scrub sets, they're really not that expensive to buy... Other than that all your equip is provided (not exactly *free* b/c you are paying for it with tuition) but when you add it all up we're getting a GREAT deal :)

- J

JMCarpenter said:
Hey, I'm a first year at PCSOM this year... our budget was actually 47K total, so you really get 20K for expenses (remember, you don't have to take out the max, I actually do know people who are making it on around 10K... budget budget budget ;) )

Hey, sorry if my finnacial info was wrong, that's just what the first years said that gave my tour. Although they may not have said that the 38K was the school budget (that's what I thought they said), they may have said that's the amount of subsudized loans you can get per year. Whatever. I'm sure JMCarpenter is correct.

Raven Feather said:
Is the cost of living VERY low or something?

I guess not... rural KY is pretty cheap I'd imagine.
I hear that the faculty at PCSOM really helps out those stretching to afford it (ie $).
Dean Payson is supposed to be a super cool guy!

I am SUPER interested in attending PCSOM!

It sounds all good. Im going to have to take out the max at least for the first year of med school. It is good to hear they try to help those of us having to root hog or die poor.

I'm an OMSI as well! I think Pikeville is a great school and there are HUGE perks to going to school here. The cost of living is amazingly cheap!!! There are definitely no catches. No contracts (that was a really mean joke!!), you just get all that stuff free. I have a good friend at PCOM and he tells me about how he has to pay for so many things that I get free (well to me it's free). Please contact me if there are any questions! I'll try to come to the interview Nov. 12th too and any other ones that I meet people here for.

GOOD LUCK