TheBlueBlazer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Charm City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
because he's not worth a damn. There's never any reason not to apply to a program you are interested in if the financials aren't a problem. You just don't get upset when you don't get an interview.

OP
cyanide12345678

cyanide12345678

7+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2011
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
By my other faculty advisor I was literally told this regarding Vanderbilt "you're top quartile of a really good school. You'll get an interview for sure". I don't want to spend money on things like "UT murfreesboro" -_-

filhodeinferno

10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
By my other faculty advisor I was literally told this regarding Vanderbilt "you're top quartile of a really good school. You'll get an interview for sure". I don't want to spend money on things like "UT murfreesboro" -_-
Yeah, sounds like you're a better fit at some of the more elitist places. Your PD was wrong to take them off your list.

Mr. Hat

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
My list that I sent is below followed by the programs he added (Vandy, carolinas, hennepin, stanford were cut out). More stats of mine - Step 1 245. Step 2 > 250. Gpa 3.89. All third year honors except surgery. I've been told that I got really good feedback on my home rotation. I'm doing an away at university of Cincinnati and have been getting really good feedback so far. I dont have money to apply to half the programs he added that I would not even want to go to -_-

UT Southwestern

UT Houston

Baylor

Cincinnati

Carolinas

Vanderbilt

University of Chicago

University of Illinois college of Medicine at Chicago

Cook county

Northwestern

Emory

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center

UTSW (Austin)

San Antonio Uniformed services

Maricopa

Hennepin

University of Maryland

Boston Medical Center

Beth Israel

Mass Gen

Hopkins

Stanford

All these programs below were added:

Wash Univ/Barnes Jewish/St. Louis Childrens

St. Lous Univ

Lincoln Medical

Hofstra North Shore LIJ SOM LI Jewish

New York Presbyterian

SUNY Stony Brook

SUNY Upstate

Univ of Rochester

Duke

MUSC

UT San Antonio

TAMU Scott and White

Sinai Grace/Wayne State

William Beaumont

Genesys upper penisula

St. John Detroit

Univ of MS

Univ of Mo Columbia

Univ of MO Kansas City

Univ of Neb

UT Memphis

UT Murfreesboro

UT Chattanooga

Penn State Hersey

Univ of Toledo

Case Western/University Hospitals

LSU Baton Rouge

LSU Shreveport

LSU NOLA
What reason do you have for not wanting to go to these programs? Location, culture, not prestigious enough?

winkleweizen

7+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Just apply to vandy. He cant force you not too. You have a decent shot at an interview, not guaranteed but good.

Mr. Hat

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Well to be honest, it's the prestige factor. Plus I'm sure there would be a difference in the quality of training at a program like Vandy vs LSU Nola. Im sure he sent me that list to add some safety programs. I know he likes to be conservative. I'll probably end up adding 5-10 of the programs he suggested. But I just don't get why he'd take Vandy or carolinas off. Vandy was my no. 1. My mother trained there. My father did his masters there. I actually really wanted to go there lol.
Appreciate the honesty. I think you're very mistaken in your thinking, but I won't waste my time trying to convince you. Best of luck.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Am I the only one that would pay money for Bird to blog a season on the interview trail (but as the Bird now, not the younger med stud Bird)?
Fear and Loathing in Toledo.

emememem

5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
You gave your home med school and your away rotation in this thread and therefore are going to be super identifiable to all faculty who read this.
(I think you may have made an error in judgment here.)

FWIW, I go to [what I think is] a pretty awesome program, and my PD always says, "We feel lucky to interview lots of good applicants, we rank highly the applicants that feel lucky to be interviewed."

Cinclus

Es un pájaro.
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2011
Behind the waterfall
Status
Attending Physician
You gave your home med school and your away rotation in this thread and therefore are going to be super identifiable to all faculty who read this.
(I think you may have made an error in judgment here.)
I figured that was why he deleted all of his posts in this thread. It's too small of a world to be giving out so many details and then say certain.....things.