PD leaving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RuNnR

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, Dr. Krabak at Hopkins is leaving due to family and career on west coast. He'll be in Seattle from now on at UW.

Dr. Mayer will take over right now. They have a new spine guy and are looking for an MSK PMR Dr now.

Members don't see this ad.

Will he be UW's new chair?

hum........I didn't ask that. I can email him. Can you call UW and ask them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just so everyone knows, Dr. Krabak at Hopkins is leaving due to family and career on west coast. He'll be in Seattle from now on at UW.

Dr. Mayer will take over right now. They have a new spine guy and are looking for an MSK PMR Dr now.

Sad to hear this, but happy for him. The PNW also suits his outdoorsy interests. Dr. Mayer is quite personable, an awesome teacher, and a previous Elkins award recipient. I wonder who will take over down the line. Also wondering how Dr. DeLateur feels about it. I'm sure she is still enjoying the time she has to teach residents and students now versus her arguably much busier schedule back when she was both dept chair and residency director.

Was anyone able to find out if he is taking over as Chair at UW? Just wondering.

My understanding Brian Krabak will be joining the sports/spine practice at UW (making an already outstanding group even stronger). He will not be their chair.

He is a very well regarded clinician, and will be a great addition for UW

Dr Terry Massagli will be the PD at UW.
And yes, Krabak will be working to oversee their MSK sports /spine lectures and education.

For Hopkins, Dr Jarod Friedman is the new MSK guy. Though he is a trained as a spine interventionalist, not sports like Krabak was doing. At this point, hopkins doesn't really have a sports rehab guy. But may have someone
within the next year.

I actually was able to shadow Dr. Krabak today (on his last clinic day at Hopkins :() and I can see why he is so well regarded. I sat in on patients with him and the two chief residents and they were all really chill, very nice, and obviously great and talented docs as well. Hopkins will be losing a great physician for certain!

rehab_sports_dr definitely does not need me to validate his statement, but what its worth, UW's great program will become even a bit better when he starts there in June.

Apparently a few different docs will be covering his MSK clinic, until they find someone permanent. I don't want to name drop because I dont fully remember who he said would be covering, but apparently its straight for the time being.

It's funny how as applicants we are grilled to death about gaps in practice, and everything under the sun, YET- (I interviewed there as well)- - funny that there was no mention of him leaving at all. You cant tell me the program/he didnt have an idea that this might be in the works. If you werent on SDN -you would be ranking blindly. Funny- politics politics politics (games)- its all a one way street as an applicant. I even spoke with Kraback literally days before this popped on SDN and no mention of his departure. I feel that it speaks poorly of Hopkins that this was concealed on the two interview days that they held- all sell sell sell by Kraback, and now he is gone. He is great- and Im sure he will be an asset for UW- but he wont be running the show (at the show) that he sold during interview season! And why were applicants not informed?

As a current fellow, I am now bridging the period between resident and attending, and I can see both perspectives.

For example, I am final contract negotiations for my position next year, and I have been for over a month so far. I am dying to tell people where I am going, but I have to keep things mum in case things fall through.

I cannot speak for the situation for any particular attending, but I can understand why they would want to keep mum until they have fully closed a deal with their future employer.

Similarly, people often feel a sense of loyalty and indebtedness to their prior institution. For example, I currently work for RIC, but did my residency at Kessler, and feel a tremendous sense of loyalty to both programs. So, whenever possible, I try to extol the virtues of both institutions. It can be difficult to do this and at the same time provide full disclosure to residents or prospective residents. Its a delicate balance.

In fairness to residency programs, there is information asymmetry on both sides of the residency selection process. For example, many applicants may have "research in progress" or something similar on their CV, and thus have been highly ranked because of their research interest. Most medical students won't fully disclose that they have stopped working on a research project, or that they ended up not covering an event listed on their CV, etc. So both sides are not presenting a full picture.