Cardiothoracic anesthesia fellowship 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think the thought of another year of intense education + monetary sacrifice is intimidating now. Spilled milk at this point, but it’s the post-rank list submission jitters we all get

Members don't see this ad.

I think the thought of another year of intense education + monetary sacrifice is intimidating now. Spilled milk at this point, but it’s the post-rank list submission jitters we all get
I have been matched for a year and I still get them. Love cardiac. But that pay cut is daunting

Reactions: 1 user
I hope everybody matched in a good program!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on match day everyone! looks like 1 unmatched program on SF match, WVU

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to everyone that matched. I know the monetary factor of extending training one more year is really hard (especially in this current job market), but the year is well worth it. 10 years later, I don't regret it at all

Reactions: 4 users
If future applicants don't want to risk the financial opportunity cost of a cardiac fellowship, consider this. If the dwindling interest continues due to the hot job market (maybe a little short sighted) there will be a large shortage in the coming 5 -10 years of cardiac trained anesthesiologist, and that just means one thing for the cardiac guys and gals... $$$$$.

If future applicants don't want to risk the financial opportunity cost of a cardiac fellowship, consider this. If the dwindling interest continues due to the hot job market (maybe a little short sighted) there will be a large shortage in the coming 5 -10 years of cardiac trained anesthesiologist, and that just means one thing for the cardiac guys and gals... $$$$$.
They’ll still fill outside of the match. So not actually gonna happen.

They’ll still fill outside of the match. So not actually gonna happen.
I wouldn't be too confident, the program I am in, only 1 post match interest/inquiry and its a great program IMO.

Yeah, this stuff is always cyclical and has happened with pain, peds, and cardiac many times.

Glut of interest in X fellowship, oversupply, bad job market for X, dearth of interest, too big of an overcorrection by way of undersupply, shortage of anesthesiologists fellowship trained in X, good job market for X, glut of interest in.... rinse and repeat.

So you’re saying do peds fellowship?

Unlikely.

Another issue is that programs have been expanding. There has been increase of about 50 positions last 6 years. It is already difficult to find 100% cardiac jobs in saturated cities. Unless there are 50 unfilled spots post match every year, it is unlikely that we will see shortage.

Peds is different because 50% of spots go unfilled. That will never happen in cardiac.

Unlikely.

Another issue is that programs have been expanding. There has been increase of about 50 positions last 6 years. It is already difficult to find 100% cardiac jobs in saturated cities. Unless there are 50 unfilled spots post match every year, it is unlikely that we will see shortage.

Peds is different because 50% of spots go unfilled. That will never happen in cardiac.
Unlike Peds (where you can work at a Peds hospital and be almost virtually guaranteed 100% Peds), I have never seen a job that is 100% cardiac. Even in one of the hospitals I go to that does ~2000 hearts/year, they still do a high volume of Thoracic, EP, Vascular, general, and structural stuff. I do a pretty high volume CT (if you include structural, Thoracic, and EP), so I come close but certainly not 100% cardiac. I wonder if that exists anywhere?

Unlike Peds (where you can work at a Peds hospital and be almost virtually guaranteed 100% Peds), I have never seen a job that is 100% cardiac. Even in one of the hospitals I go to that does ~2000 hearts/year, they still do a high volume of Thoracic, EP, Vascular, general, and structural stuff. I do a pretty high volume CT (if you include structural, Thoracic, and EP), so I come close but certainly not 100% cardiac. I wonder if that exists anywhere?
I would consider your job 100% cardiac. The jobs i am referring to are the ones that make you do 50% true general cases (ortho, spine, etc. outside of ep, thoracic) and make you take in-house general call.

Most places I looked at didnt offer 100% cardiac call when I applied for jobs

Damn, some good CT programs. Would totally apply if I weren’t already content with my PP job