You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Cardiothoracic anesthesia fellowship 2024
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I have been matched for a year and I still get them. Love cardiac. But that pay cut is dauntingI think the thought of another year of intense education + monetary sacrifice is intimidating now. Spilled milk at this point, but it’s the post-rank list submission jitters we all get
I hope everybody matched in a good program!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congrats on match day everyone! looks like 1 unmatched program on SF match, WVU
university of Colorado has a vacancy, if anyone is looking who didn't match
Congrats to everyone that matched. I know the monetary factor of extending training one more year is really hard (especially in this current job market), but the year is well worth it. 10 years later, I don't regret it at all
looks like quite a few vacancies now available for unmatched applicants
Predictable.looks like quite a few vacancies now available for unmatched applicants
looks like quite a few vacancies now available for unmatched applicants
25 per their website
SF Match - Residency and Fellowship Matching Services
Interest is dwindling! Given the current environment, understandable. Beware the future though. Don't make decisions based on the current (temporary) boom for anesthesiologists.
D
deleted545787
If future applicants don't want to risk the financial opportunity cost of a cardiac fellowship, consider this. If the dwindling interest continues due to the hot job market (maybe a little short sighted) there will be a large shortage in the coming 5 -10 years of cardiac trained anesthesiologist, and that just means one thing for the cardiac guys and gals... $$$$$.
They’ll still fill outside of the match. So not actually gonna happen.If future applicants don't want to risk the financial opportunity cost of a cardiac fellowship, consider this. If the dwindling interest continues due to the hot job market (maybe a little short sighted) there will be a large shortage in the coming 5 -10 years of cardiac trained anesthesiologist, and that just means one thing for the cardiac guys and gals... $$$$$.
D
deleted545787
I wouldn't be too confident, the program I am in, only 1 post match interest/inquiry and its a great program IMO.They’ll still fill outside of the match. So not actually gonna happen.
If future applicants don't want to risk the financial opportunity cost of a cardiac fellowship, consider this. If the dwindling interest continues due to the hot job market (maybe a little short sighted) there will be a large shortage in the coming 5 -10 years of cardiac trained anesthesiologist, and that just means one thing for the cardiac guys and gals... $$$$$.
Yeah, this stuff is always cyclical and has happened with pain, peds, and cardiac many times.
Glut of interest in X fellowship, oversupply, bad job market for X, dearth of interest, too big of an overcorrection by way of undersupply, shortage of anesthesiologists fellowship trained in X, good job market for X, glut of interest in.... rinse and repeat.
D
deleted87051
If future applicants don't want to risk the financial opportunity cost of a cardiac fellowship, consider this. If the dwindling interest continues due to the hot job market (maybe a little short sighted) there will be a large shortage in the coming 5 -10 years of cardiac trained anesthesiologist, and that just means one thing for the cardiac guys and gals... $$$$$.
So you’re saying do peds fellowship?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Unlikely.If future applicants don't want to risk the financial opportunity cost of a cardiac fellowship, consider this. If the dwindling interest continues due to the hot job market (maybe a little short sighted) there will be a large shortage in the coming 5 -10 years of cardiac trained anesthesiologist, and that just means one thing for the cardiac guys and gals... $$$$$.
Another issue is that programs have been expanding. There has been increase of about 50 positions last 6 years. It is already difficult to find 100% cardiac jobs in saturated cities. Unless there are 50 unfilled spots post match every year, it is unlikely that we will see shortage.
Peds is different because 50% of spots go unfilled. That will never happen in cardiac.
Unlike Peds (where you can work at a Peds hospital and be almost virtually guaranteed 100% Peds), I have never seen a job that is 100% cardiac. Even in one of the hospitals I go to that does ~2000 hearts/year, they still do a high volume of Thoracic, EP, Vascular, general, and structural stuff. I do a pretty high volume CT (if you include structural, Thoracic, and EP), so I come close but certainly not 100% cardiac. I wonder if that exists anywhere?Unlikely.
Another issue is that programs have been expanding. There has been increase of about 50 positions last 6 years. It is already difficult to find 100% cardiac jobs in saturated cities. Unless there are 50 unfilled spots post match every year, it is unlikely that we will see shortage.
Peds is different because 50% of spots go unfilled. That will never happen in cardiac.
I would consider your job 100% cardiac. The jobs i am referring to are the ones that make you do 50% true general cases (ortho, spine, etc. outside of ep, thoracic) and make you take in-house general call.Unlike Peds (where you can work at a Peds hospital and be almost virtually guaranteed 100% Peds), I have never seen a job that is 100% cardiac. Even in one of the hospitals I go to that does ~2000 hearts/year, they still do a high volume of Thoracic, EP, Vascular, general, and structural stuff. I do a pretty high volume CT (if you include structural, Thoracic, and EP), so I come close but certainly not 100% cardiac. I wonder if that exists anywhere?
Most places I looked at didnt offer 100% cardiac call when I applied for jobs
Damn, some good CT programs. Would totally apply if I weren’t already content with my PP job
Similar threads
- Replies
- 86
- Views
- 27K
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 150
- Views
- 56K
- Replies
- 262
- Views
- 75K
D