Cardiothoracic anesthesia fellowship 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreatStaphenous

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
here to discuss everything about this year's fellowship applications and interview cycles.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard from Washington, haven’t heard from anyone else yet….if it’s anything like last year could be awhile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do programs look at your application even if you're missing 1 letter?

Hoping for Florida in the next few days. I know they released invites early last year

Members don't see this ad :)
Got Sinai interview 12/15, doing residency in NYC but not at Sinai.

No, your apps dont even go out to the programs until it is complete, unless SF changed it this year.
Submitted applications missing letters will be marked as "incomplete," but visible.

Anyone heard from any other programs besides the ones above so far?

So far I've heard of
Anyone heard from any other programs besides the ones above so far?
So far, I've heard of Cleveland Clinic, USC, Tufts, and Maine between me and some of my friends also applying cardiac. Anyone hearing from anywhere else? Hoping these next few weeks are a little busier in terms of interview invites

Among those listed already, I've also heard from NYU, Temple, Albany and Penn State. Anyone hear from UConn by any chance? It's in the area for me, so just curious.

Has anyone heard from UAB, Florida, or any Texas programs? Or Stanford?

Heard from Mayo and Stanford today. Anyone hear from Boston or Yale?

Last edited:
Any word from Upitts, UConn, Montefiore, Upenn, BIDMC, or Emory?
Heard from U Penn last week - but also I'm dual applying, so not sure if the timing of interviews is way off. They only offered one date on March 3rd

Does anyone know what a good number of interviews is?

Invite from Yale today. Have yet to hear from any of the Boston programs I applied to.

Does anyone know what a good number of interviews is?

Somewhere around 8-10 gives you a high chance of matching. 12-15 and you're essentially guaranteed a spot.

CT has actually become less competitive compared to 5-7 years ago because the number of spots has gone up while the number of applicants has stayed about the same. Match rate last year was over 90%

Reactions: 2 users
Only Boston I heard back from was BWH last week

CT has actually become less competitive compared to 5-7 years ago because the number of spots has gone up while the number of applicants has stayed about the same. Match rate last year was over 90%

Reflection of the current job market for generalists. Only the folks who truly love hearts are doing the fellowship now which is a good thing.