Pediatric Fellowship call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vtutx

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello current pediatric Fellows!

I’m trying to collect some information regarding call (in regards to number of weeks ) and how the services are split.

Helpful information:
- how many fellows in the fellowship
- how are consults, inpatient service, night shift, weekends distributed (per year)
- are attendings ever “alone” (without a fellow) on call/covering?

If you’d like to anonymously PM that’s also an option.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

What particular fellowship(s) are you interested in. It's going to vary so much by specialty that it will be difficult to give generalizations?

What particular fellowship(s) are you interested in. It's going to vary so much by specialty that it will be difficult to give generalizations?

I’m trying to compare my current program to other programs. We have both a consult and inpatient service; we are comparing institutional and some
National comparisons.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP has up til now posted solely in threads regarding Rheumatology fellowships...

@vtutx - if you're looking only for information on Rheum fellowships, this is probably not going to be a very fruitful post as that community is rather small. I did my PICU fellowship at a top 10 children's hospital that had a very robust Rheum division and they were only taking one fellow a year, which didn't always fill. There were many, many weeks in which the attendings were alone (or more accurately had residents on elective doing the initial consult work, than discussing the case with the attending).

If you're talking about any and all fellowships, it's going to be so incredibly variable that it's unlikely to be very helpful. I can tell you in the PICU world, every place has a different set up that works for them. My program had 2 fellows in house 24/7 97% of the time and 24/7 in-house attending coverage. Other programs have 24/7 attending coverage, but fellows only 4 nights a week. Some places have gone entirely to night float for their PICU fellows. But the idea of overnight in-house coverage isn't even in the realm of possibilities in other fields. My friend who was an Allergy/Immunology fellow had his "mommy call" coverage end at 10pm and then the calls were transferred to the pulmonology fellow until 8am the next morning.

This depends entirely on your sub-specialty. My fellowship call was very different from my husband's fellowship call though we are both pediatricians. Other things to consider is how big your program is; call with 1 fellow per year or 1 fellow every other year is going to look very different from a program with 2 or 3 fellows per year.