Pediatric Fellowship- poor match results?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
latest

(In case anyone was wondering)

I think that I found a new avatar.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not exactly. The only hope of getting a job at our peds hospital is by doing a peds fellowship. However, there are more peds fellows than peds hospital jobs. The peds fellowship pays off some but not for others.

This a sentiment I don’t quite understand... It seems that most people here feel that doing a Peds fellowship is only worth it if you get a full time Peds job afterwards.

Nobody says that about CCM, OB, Regional, Cardiac, or Pain.

Lots of people in other fellowships take jobs where they only practice their fellowship specialty part of the time, and do General the rest of the time.

It seems to me that 30-40% of fellows from our Peds program have gone to smaller practices where they only do Peds as part of a mostly generalist practice, and they are plenty happy with that setup.

I’m sure that there are people that desire a full time Peds job that can’t find one out of fellowship, but I don’t think the problem is nearly as big as it’s made out to be.

This a sentiment I don’t quite understand... It seems that most people here feel that doing a Peds fellowship is only worth it if you get a full time Peds job afterwards.

Lots of people in other fellowships take jobs where they only practice their fellowship specialty part of the time, and do General the rest of the time.

It seems to me that 30-40% of fellows from our Peds program have gone to smaller practices where they only do Peds as part of a mostly generalist practice, and they are plenty happy with that setup.

I’m sure that there are people that desire a full time Peds job that can’t find one out of fellowship, but I don’t think the problem is nearly as big as it’s made out to be.

He’s saying that a peds fellowship is mostly a waste of time if you’re only gonna be doing B&B peds at a community hospital. You don’t need a fellowship for those cases.

I would suspect most cardiac trained graduates would 100% prefer to cardiac for their practice, it's just that type of job is exceedingly rare unless you go into academics. Most of the academic attendings aren't going anywhere until they decide to retire or die so most departments don't have a need. Therefore, cardiac grads either join a department and do "some cardiac" or going to private practice and do "some" cardiac.

You can absolutely find a 100% pain practice, if that's your cup of tea. What's harder to find is a 100% interventional pain practice.

Regarding regional, the same as cardiac unless you work at a specialized ortho center like HSS or Joint disease in NYC. Again, hard places to get hired.

OB.....let me tell you this, if an OB fellow graduates and tries hard enough they can find an 100% OB practice in both academics and private practice. The problem is very few people want to do OB everyday for the rest of their lives.

Most critical care people want a half/half practice, but again, can be difficult to accomplish in private practice. Somewhat easier in academics depending on the center.

Remember, in private practice, the "powers that be" (aka the people who hire) only care about the bottom line, which is making money. Hiring someone who "only wants to do hearts" or "only wants to do Peds" does nothing for the practice because you have to have bodies in rooms, likewise you need the specialty volume to support said fellow only doing those cases. Then it becomes a money issue if you're a production based practice. In summary, lots of road blocks.

It's pulled off a little easier in academics because everything is based on "division" do . you'll have a dedicated team which usually has the volume to support someone only doing their specialty, but even still, they will find themselves on days not doing their specialty.

Outside of radiology, anesthesiology is one of the few specialities that has fellowships wherre when you graduate there's a high chance you'll either not practice the fellowship or practice it not as much as you thought.

Edit: There's also not a shortage of people who do a fellowship, practice it for 10 yrs or so, and then never do it again because they find better quality of life jobs.

Reactions: 1 users

Unfortunately in my practice if you are not at the peds specialty hospital, you are doing 0% peds. So we have people who did peds fellowships at top notch places (Boston children’s, northwestern) who are not doing any pediatric anesthesia. I work in an adult hospital but I still like peds so I get my fix on mission trips.

I would suspect most cardiac trained graduates would 100% prefer to cardiac for their practice, it's just that type of job is exceedingly rare unless you go into academics. Most of the academic attendings aren't going anywhere until they decide to retire or die so most departments don't have a need. Therefore, cardiac grads either join a department and do "some cardiac" or going to private practice and do "some" cardiac.

You can absolutely find a 100% pain practice, if that's your cup of tea. What's harder to find is a 100% interventional pain practice.

Regarding regional, the same as cardiac unless you work at a specialized ortho center like HSS or Joint disease in NYC. Again, hard places to get hired.

OB.....let me tell you this, if an OB fellow graduates and tries hard enough they can find an 100% OB practice in both academics and private practice. The problem is very few people want to do OB everyday for the rest of their lives.

Most critical care people want a half/half practice, but again, can be difficult to accomplish in private practice. Somewhat easier in academics depending on the center.

Remember, in private practice, the "powers that be" (aka the people who hire) only care about the bottom line, which is making money. Hiring someone who "only wants to do hearts" or "only wants to do Peds" does nothing for the practice because you have to have bodies in rooms, likewise you need the specialty volume to support said fellow only doing those cases. Then it becomes a money issue if you're a production based practice. In summary, lots of road blocks.

It's pulled off a little easier in academics because everything is based on "division" do . you'll have a dedicated team which usually has the volume to support someone only doing their specialty, but even still, they will find themselves on days not doing their specialty.

Outside of radiology, anesthesiology is one of the few specialities that has fellowships wherre when you graduate there's a high chance you'll either not practice the fellowship or practice it not as much as you thought.

Edit: There's also not a shortage of people who do a fellowship, practice it for 10 yrs or so, and then never do it again because they find better quality of life jobs.

I agree with what you’re saying. Not every person that does a fellowship ends up ising that fellowship skill set full time.

That doesn’t mean that the fellowship only “pays off” for the people that practice their sub specialty 100% of the time.

I agree with what you’re saying. Not every person that does a fellowship ends up ising that fellowship skill set full time.

That doesn’t mean that the fellowship only “pays off” for the people that practice their sub specialty 100% of the time.
Career satisfaction pay off yes. Financially, it's probably a wash, depending on the practice. Plenty of people making very good money without a fellowship.

My goal after doing a cardiac fellowship was to basically only do "some" cardiac. I am defining some as 1-2 days a week. It was not as hard to find as I would have expected as a lot of academic hospitals have a bit of fat in the specialty departments, and I got a positive reception from the fact that I was comfortable doing regional and wanted to do more of it as well as ENT etc.