Pediatric rotation books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sia_simba

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Just wondering if people can tell me which books are useful for 3rd year peds rotation ? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

First Aid for the Wards gives a nice outline of the big topics. Appleton and Lange had good questions. They are tedious but if you work through them it will help your knowledge base a lot. I personally did not like Blueprints but did the questions at the end of the book, which were pretty good. I also did the questions at the end of NMS because I wanted to do more questions. Pretest I did a few but not too many because I didn't have a copy.

I would recommend doing the following:
1. Appleton and Lange Review of Pediatrics
2. Pretest Pediatrics
3. Look up whatever else you need on UpToDate as you go through your rotation. What I did was look over the schedule for my attending or senior resident, and read up on the topics that came up. So let's say my attending was scheduled for an asthma visit, URI visit, and croup visit. I would read UpToDate for those. I think Blueprints is okay for this purpose, but does not cover the material as in depth as I would like, therefore I found no purpose in Blueprints.

I think if you cover the two big question books and read about the other big topics that you come across, the shelf exam won't be too bad. It was my first one and I felt reasonably well prepared.