peds anesthesia rotation 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dangerfield

Palpatin' your thrills.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Im debating whether to do a pediatric anesthesia rotation during fourth year. Im highly interested in the field but I wonder if I'll be allowed to do any of the intubations? I was debating whether to just do Cardiology and work on my EKG reading and other skills instead. Or do another adult anesthesia rotation. Or do a critical care anesthesia rotation. Anyone have any suggestions. None of these would be for letters of recs.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Im debating whether to do a pediatric anesthesia rotation during fourth year. Im highly interested in the field but I wonder if I'll be allowed to do any of the intubations? I was debating whether to just do Cardiology and work on my EKG reading and other skills instead. Or do another adult anesthesia rotation. Or do a critical care anesthesia rotation. Anyone have any suggestions. None of these would be for letters of recs.

I had no problem being allowed to do things. It is very attending dependant, as you would expect. If they see that you're someone who they can trust not to massively screw up, observant, attentive, and willing to bow out if things go south, then you'll be allowed to do more. The peds attendings at our institution are a little more hands-on than at the adult hospital, but I still got to do plenty of tubes, masking, IV's. Try to get in an ENT room because they crank through the cases and you'll be allowed to do more.

Are you planning to pursue a career in anesthesia?