Peds Specialty Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Peds_Z

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,
I am 5th year Medical Student in Europe (6yr MD program), step 1 mid-250, 10 pubs mostly in surgery, 10 poster/oral presentations in european conferences, great LoRs from US-trained surgeons who were my professors and gonna have 5 month electives in US in peds and surgery. I am more than interested in doing pediatric surgery, however I am not sure about how feasible this may be and the pathway is going to be very long: 2yr postdoc, 5 year gen surg + 2yr research, +2-3yrs peds surg. I like general surgery, but although I can manage working that long hours, esp in the OR, it is not something I may like be doing for the next 12 years as I do not love working with the elderly. On the other hand, I really love pediatric cardiology (more dedicated time with children and family talking, interventional procedures in cath lab, hearing murmurs, reassuring parents, U/S). How can I be sure that I can sacrifice everything I have accomplished in general surgery, including my research and my mentors' assistance in making connections for a pediatric subspecialty like cardio or nephro? Will my research count positively for peds, although it is on surgery? And what if I do so and then I miss the OR? I mean many would kill for having accomplished so much and having built a base for matching in surgery, how can I discard all my work? I always loved surgery and was constantly saying that I am going to be a surgeon, but I didnt know I would like working with children so much.

Any advice would be helpful.