Peer counseling as an extracurricular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Chippopotamus

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is this program at my school where students can be trained to listen/be counselors to other students who are having a hard time or depressed. I wanted to do this because it seems like a great skill to have (to be able to help and calm down those in a crisis), but it's also a huge time commitment so I wanted to know if medical schools would see this as a worthwhile extracurricular? For example, would it be considered similar to something like tutoring/volunteering? Thanks in advance
 
There is this program at my school where students can be trained to listen/be counselors to other students who are having a hard time or depressed. I wanted to do this because it seems like a great skill to have (to be able to help and calm down those in a crisis), but it's also a huge time commitment so
1) I wanted to know if medical schools would see this as a worthwhile extracurricular?
2) For example, would it be considered similar to something like tutoring/volunteering?
1) Yes.

2) Mentoring is a form of teaching. If you don't get paid, it is volunteering.