This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CRguy3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I will most likely be attending Penn State and could not be happier. For curiosity sakes, I was wondering if anyone has any clue or guess as to where Penn State would rank in terms of research and care in US World & News rankings. They are Unranked which means they do not submit their info. Most tell me its a solid mid tier school so I am predicting in the 50-75 range. I just want to hear a few opinions. Again, this has NOTHING to do with selecting a school and is based strictly on curiosity. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say it's around the same caliber as Drexel or TCMC in the state of PA.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I looked at their match list and it looks like you don't need to worry about their rank at all

First guy is at wills eye for ophtho I mean that just says it all right there imo

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are really interested, this ranks all programs based on NIH-funded dollar amount across all basic science and clinical departments and across all schools (though some of the issues with the rank lie with affiliation or ownership between schools and hospital centers).

http://www.brimr.org/NIH_Awards/NIH_Awards.htm

Doesn't really mean a whole lot though, because you could have 20 top-notch researchers with $1 million each in NIH funded and be lower ranked that 4 researchers each with $5.5 million P- or U- grant. Most institutions pride themselves on diversity of expertise, as opposed to having 1 expert.

Last edited:
I'd say on par with Temple and Jefferson.

That sounds right. it shares sites with both those schools.

except unlike Jefferson and Temple, you have to live in Hershey/Harrisburg.

Interviewed here for med school and residency. Very expensive for out-of-staters, boring location, but good school.

That sounds right. it shares sites with both those schools.

except unlike Jefferson and Temple, you have to live in Hershey/Harrisburg.

I'd prefer that to Philly! :p but to each his own ;)

Reactions: 1 user

The clinical experience in Philadelphia is superior to that of Hershey. Penn State was one of the schools that I was accepted to and besides the nice facilities I didn't see anything impressive about the school. I thought Temple's facilities are much nicer even though the area isn't the best and Jeff's hospital system is highly regarded in PA.

I claimed it was on par with TCMC and Drexel because it's often viewed as a "safety school" just because the numbers of the matriculants aren't that high.

The clinical experience in Philadelphia is superior to that of Hershey. Penn State was one of the schools that I was accepted to and besides the nice facilities I didn't see anything impressive about the school. I thought Temple's facilities are much nicer even though the area isn't the best and Jeff's hospital system is highly regarded in PA.

I claimed it was on par with TCMC and Drexel because it's often viewed as a "safety school" just because the numbers of the matriculants aren't that high.

I just really dislike Philadelphia. That's all. Had to go there for Step 2 CS and couldn't wait to leave. I was also accepted to both Penn State and Temple and I would have gone to Penn State over Temple if I hadn't gotten into the school I went to.

I was just responding to someone's comment about having to live in Hershey/Harrisburg (because it's relatively boring compared to a big city). I'm from a more rural area and I know that area is more preferable to some than others!

Also it smells like chocolate. :nod:

Reactions: 1 users

For what reason is the clinical training better in Philly compared to Hershey? Is it bc there r more hospitals and essentially a more diverse patient population? Almost everyone says the clinical training at Penn State is fantastic and that resident directors love students from Penn state. If you can just elaborate a bit and thanks for your input!

For what reason is the clinical training better in Philly compared to Hershey? Is it bc there r more hospitals and essentially a more diverse patient population? Almost everyone says the clinical training at Penn State is fantastic and that resident directors love students from Penn state. If you can just elaborate a bit and thanks for your input!

Everyone from Penn State?

Second this. I worked in Philly for a long time, and you couldn't pay me to go back.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone from Penn State?

I have two friends that graduated from Hershey and said they felt their clinical exposure was inadequate which is one of the factors for withdrawing my acceptance. The variety of patients you'll see in Philly is unparalleled in PA besides for at UPMC. Their graduates match well every couple years but I wouldn't say they have consistently strong match lists like Jefferson or Temple does.