People who ask stupid a$$ questions during class (yes rant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Borophyll

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know that person who, when they raise their hand or start to speak up during class, makes everyone else including the professor silently groan and say to themselves "not again..." ?

Yeah, I have about four of those in my classes right now. Among the questions asked this semester:

Professor: On Tuesday I won't be here. But there will be a group-quiz for you to take as a class.
Annoying Classmate: Is it open-book as well?

Professor: ...and that's how bone mineral density works.
Annoying Classmate: So what will be the answer on final?

This one girl asks at least 3 question, in very random fashion, every day while the prof is explaining a problem. He has taken notice of this and now seems to ignore her until he's done explaining. The result has been somewhat hilarious- now all she does is kind of mumble and blurt out half-utterances to herself. A lot of times she'll ask a question not really directed to anyone in particular, and then answers it, outloud, to herself. :D:D:D

/rant

Members don't see this ad.

Those kind of people don't really bother me.. because as you said they bring some hilarity to the class.

I personally don't like the silent weird ones. I had one guy who sat in the front row everyday (by himself), had a long pony tail half way down his back, and NEVER spoke a word to anyone. I'm pretty sure he had the highest grade in the class as well, so maybe we should all grow pony tails, sit in the front row, and never speak.

I personally don't like the silent weird ones. I had one guy who sat in the front row everyday (by himself), had a long pony tail half way down his back, and NEVER spoke a word to anyone. I'm pretty sure he had the highest grade in the class as well, so maybe we should all grow pony tails, sit in the front row, and never speak.

Hey, that's me!:mad:

But honestly, it's true. I got a kick out of it in highschool and moreso in college. Having one person out of 30 to one person out of 100 just makes it funnier.

Members don't see this ad :)
how about those people that say something just for the sake of saying something rather than furthering the discussion? for example, there's this one girl in my class who always raises her hand to point out the obvious in the wordiest way. so annoying!

how about those people that say something just for the sake of saying something rather than furthering the discussion? for example, there's this one girl in my class who always raises her hand to point out the obvious in the wordiest way. so annoying!

That's when you know they just want attention, that's all!!! I just let what they say go in one ear and then out. Inside, however, I just want to give them this meanie face::smuggrin:.

Haha, that reminds me of myself in philosophy class because participation was a HUGE part of the grade. I think you had to say at least 3 things a day during discussion to get a check or whatever. So I would pretty much chime in and say something stupid then daydream for 15 minutes until I had to do it again.

Those kind of people don't really bother me.. because as you said they bring some hilarity to the class.

They bother me because they take up MY time in class. If they ask one question and quit, fine. But when they ask so many questions that it's disruptive to everyone else's learning, then I do take issue with that. On more than one occassion, I've gotten out of class 10+ minutes late because of someone asking questions that could have easily been taken up after class or during the professor's office hours. Is it fair that they disrupt the teacher and the class for their own benefit, when they could just write down the question and ask later when it's more convenient?

Of course, I do believe that the professor should handle the situation and tell them to wait (and the good ones do).

If someone asks a stupid/obvious questions, Im usually a jerk and pretty sarcastic to them.

The good thing about that is- it cuts back on all the tools asking useless questions. THe bad part- I look like a jerk, but its worth it.

If someone asks a stupid/obvious questions, Im usually a jerk and pretty sarcastic to them.

The good thing about that is- it cuts back on all the tools asking useless questions. THe bad part- I look like a jerk, but its worth it.

Taking one for the team, huh? Nice - I can think of a few classes it would have been nice to have you in.

Taking one for the team, huh? Nice - I can think of a few classes it would have been nice to have you in.
Yeah, I dont really care because most of the ppl think its funny, including professors.

I just cant stand the "is this gonna be on the exam?" question (Well we are going over it in class, *****)

I know some kids that are like that in class. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This happens often, especially during my calculus class. It's irritating because it takes away from the alloted time, during which our professor could solve a few more problems and explain them.

Tis' not a problem during chemistry though, they dare not interrupt my professor. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

You should try talking to them. I tried to make conversation with one of these guys, WOAH talk about awkward.

Thankfully, hes now in pharmacy school and I dont have to see him.

i typically didn't mind if people would limit themselves to one question, no matter how stupid.

if you're not getting it but everyone else is, please don't waste everyone's time by asking a question on every powerpoint slide. this is why office hours exist.

This is definitely annoying for me, as well as people who feel its necessary to prove how much they know by going off on tangents. Sometimes it's entertaining though; usually somewhere in their rambling they say something completely idiotic, and certain professors will immediately recognize this and bluntly point out how little the student actually knows.

It depends on the class and the questioner as to whether it annoys me. I've had classes where I groan everytime a particular person raises their hand. Then I've had classes where before every class my friends and I make bets as to how many questions a particular person will ask...winner got something (usually some sort of food one of us had in our backpacks) ;)

Now normally I would rant about stupid questions, because they tend to be annoying, but some are beyond hysterical.

During an animal behavior class, the ****oo's mating behavior was being discussed. Girl raises her hand: 'What do ****oos eat?'

This is definitely annoying for me, as well as people who feel its necessary to prove how much they know by going off on tangents. Sometimes it's entertaining though; usually somewhere in their rambling they say something completely idiotic, and certain professors will immediately recognize this and bluntly point out how little the student actually knows.

in my o chem class there was this one guy who couldn't stand that he didn't have the highest grade in the class, so he would go off on this type of tangent constantly to "prove" his intelligence to the rest of us.

one time, the prof was talking about some reaction and this guy was like "actually X reaction is better for the creation of an amine than that one." or whatever. we all just kind of stared in disbelief. the prof was like "um, i don't think so." he was pretty vehement about it though and busted out his book in the middle of class. seriously, is it more likely that you misread what was in the book or that the guy who actually has a PhD in organic chemistry was wrong?

In my cell bio class, we were spending time reviewing for a online, and open book test and a girl asks:

Girl: "Do we have to know the amino acids for the exam?"

Professor: "Yeah, you need to know the general charges and characteristics"

Girl: "It's not fair that we have to memorize them, this isn't biochem"

Professor: (looking very confused at what the girl said)

Me (to the girl): " Yeah, we have to memorize the amino acids on an open book, online exam! "

The entire class erupted into laughter. Sadly, I had her in my group for a final project, and needless to say, it was awkward.

i typically didn't mind if people would limit themselves to one question, no matter how stupid.

if you're not getting it but everyone else is, please don't waste everyone's time by asking a question on every powerpoint slide. this is why office hours exist.
exactly! well said.

In my cell bio class, we were spending time reviewing for a online, and open book test and a girl asks:

Girl: "Do we have to know the amino acids for the exam?"

Professor: "Yeah, you need to know the general charges and characteristics"

Girl: "It's not fair that we have to memorize them, this isn't biochem"

Professor: (looking very confused at what the girl said)

Me (to the girl): " Yeah, we have to memorize the amino acids on an open book, online exam! "

The entire class erupted into laughter. Sadly, I had her in my group for a final project, and needless to say, it was awkward.

:laugh::laugh:

My theory is that people who ask "stupid" questions are actually gunners who are trying to pull down everyone else's performance by taking up all the class time.