People who live in St. Louis!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pewl

The Dude Abides
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I've been doing some research on places to live in St. Louis if you plan on attending SLU. So far I've heard names like Forest Park and Central West End. I was wondering if there is a place pretty close to SLU where a condo could be bought at a reasonable price. Not rented, but bought as an investment.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

check your PM

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, the Forest Park area and Central West End are probably your best bets---good-looking properties and decently priced* at that. The Clayton area (ritzy-ish, yuppie-ish feel) is a bit farther west from SLU (about 15 minutes on the highway in good traffic), but there are definitely good investment properties there, too. I've also heard that Maplewood (ever so slightly southwest of SLU) is supposedly on its way up as far as neighborhoods go. Check the Classifieds section on the website of The Riverfront Times (www.riverfronttimes.com) to get a little taste of some city properties.

*"decently priced" compared to somewhere like downtown Chicago...which is where I'm headed. You don't know what you got 'til it's gone....ai yi yi. :scared:

How far are the CWE and Forest Park from SLU? Do you have to drive or can you ride a bike or take public transit?

Intriguing.

I'd like the option of public transit or a long walk if it ever came down to it.

I live in LA so I can't imagine traffic in St. Louis ever getting worse than it is here. =P

no, traffic will never be like LA's. public transportation exists, but is not quite as user-friendly as other cities' that I've visited or lived in.

good suggestions so far. I'm at school now, but will try to add to the list when I get home.

Pewl said:
Intriguing.

I'd like the option of public transit or a long walk if it ever came down to it.

I live in LA so I can't imagine traffic in St. Louis ever getting worse than it is here. =P
I go to SLU and would recommend having a car. The neighborhood by the med school is pretty rough so you wouldn't want to be walking home after dark. We get reports every other week about armed robberies down there. As for public transportation...don't count on it (although the city is trying to improve this). It is about a 10-15 minute walk to CWE and 15-20 minutes to forest park from main campus. The med school is about a mile from the main campus so it would be kind of a long walk but biking might not be too bad.

since the OP was asking about buying rather than renting, I'm going to just address that first... however, I must say I fully agree with what phoebaly said about transportation.

so as for buying... Keep in mind I have no earthly idea what your price range is... and I'm going to try to put zip codes with things so you can look up info on realtor.com or craigslist or whatever..

I THOUGHT that the Theresa School Lofts (63104) were for sale, but according to this website, they're renting them. Perhaps it's both. The building is virtually next door to the med school campus, which would be a plus. Downside is that there is nothing nearby- no grocery stores, no Target, nada. There are other schools scattered throughout the city which have been converted into lofts. I saw one with a friend who was condo-hunting about 2 years ago, and it was really kind of cool. The developers were trying to preserve the hardwood floors, the kitchen counters were made from the original slate from the chalkboards, old coathooks were mounted next to the front doors, etc etc.

Also, about a mile east of the med school down Park at Jefferson (63104) is a pretty big townhome complex. (Saw one of those on the same excursion 2 years ago- it was beautiful.) Here's a link to one of those currently up for sale. Again, very little around by way of amenities. Also note that this complex is on the south side of Park, immediately across the street from the Section 8 housing on the north side. But close to school, and man they're pretty inside! Bonus- although housing prices have gone up in the city lately, this is about what they were when my friend was looking.

Since you're not familiar with St. Louis, unless you can get out here and look around a bit, I'd avoid any street named after a state. There are a lot of rehabs going on in that area, and the quality of the neighborhood (including safety) varies block by block.

Central West End (CWE) (63108)- also has a lot of rehab stuff going on. Prices are skyrocketing in the CWE b/c of some new development stuff going on. If you can find something pretty decent in your price range, you'd probably make quite the profit in 4 years. This is closer to Wash U Med/Barnes, and has lots of fun restaurants, bars, and some shopping. However once you get on the outskirts of the CWE, you're looking again at safety issues. (Who am I kidding- even in the heart of the CWE there are safety issues.)

Where I grew up, Forest Park is a suburb, but in St. Louis Forest Park is an actual park, so you can't live there. Not even with a really nice tent. :D The CWE creates the eastern border of the park.

Someone mentioned The Hill (63110)- very cool place. Amazing Italian restaurants and delis, pretty close to SLU. Not sure of housing costs down there, but a lot of little shotgun homes which are probably 1BR, so not too costly. Probably not many condos/townhouses.

Go south and west- St. Louis Hills neighborhood and around there (63109, 63139)- bounded roughly by Kingshighway, Gravois, Arsenal, and Jamieson. Ted Drewes, the frozen custard place, is in this area. Again, not as many condos, but pretty safe, great little houses, within 10-15 min to SLU. Maplewood (63143) is just west of there, officially in St. Louis County, and is about the same. A friend who used to live off Jamieson said that people on her block pooled their money and paid a company to take care of their yard, similar to what a townhome association would do. She loved it.

I think that's it for now. I had a fabulous realtor when I bought my townhouse (but I'm waaaay out in the 'burbs, further than you guys want to be from school). If anyone's interested in buying, I can PM you his contact info.

Good luck everybody!

Thanks for the info!

Very helpful.

If your budget is a little bigger and you're open to buying a house you might want to take a look at this http://www.cfvatterott.com/indInventory.php?indInvt=65
It's a brand new house about a mile from the med school. I live just down the block from there. The neighborhood isn't as nice as some of the more suburban areas but it's not bad and very convenient to campus.