2023-2024 Washington University in St. Louis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Washington University in St. Louis Secondary Essay Prompts ( They want the secondary returned within 2 weeks of your invitation email!)

1. Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (3000 characters)

2. Is there anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions? (Optional) Some applicants use this space to describe unique experiences, obstacles, and/or challenges they faced in their journey to medical school. (3000 characters)

3. Are you still a full time student? If no, describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student.
(Optional) (2000 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback:
Washington University-St. Louis School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary received. @wysdoc prompts below!

Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (3000 characters)
Is there anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions? (optional) Some applicants use this space to describe unique experiences, obstacles, and/or challenges they faced in their journey to medical school. (3000 characters)

Secondary received. @wysdoc prompts below!

Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (3000 characters)
Is there anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions? (optional) Some applicants use this space to describe unique experiences, obstacles, and/or challenges they faced in their journey to medical school. (3000 characters)
thanks @roundgarlic

Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc also

1. Describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (Optional)

2000 characters

Reactions: 1 user
For number 3 are we supposed to list activities only during gap years or ones during college like winter breaks/ summer breaks too?

Members don't see this ad :)
The secondary application states that they would prefer having the secondary back within a two week window of application submission. Does this mean 2 weeks after submission to the schools for AMCAS, like if your AMCAS application was sent out 6/30/23 and the secondary would be due 7/14/23, or is it two weeks after receipt of secondary, like if secondary was received 7/6/23, due 7/20/23?

The secondary application states that they would prefer having the secondary back within a two week window of application submission. Does this mean 2 weeks after submission to the schools for AMCAS, like if your AMCAS application was sent out 6/30/23 and the secondary would be due 7/14/23, or is it two weeks after receipt of secondary, like if secondary was received 7/6/23, due 7/20/23?
two weeks after they invite you to complete the secondary

Reactions: 1 users
For the phonetic name spelling, what exactly are they looking for?

Never mind it's on the next page

With schools like this that don't specifically ask why us, is it a good idea to include it somewhere in the essays while still answering the prompt? Or it is useless and will they not care - I feel like I've been struggling on not knowing if I should do that or not.

If its something super specific like a particular faculty member or sum, then maybe you can slip it in. def don't if you only have generic stuff to say like great research opportunities. any school of WUSTL's caliber knows why we're applying there lol

With schools like this that don't specifically ask why us, is it a good idea to include it somewhere in the essays while still answering the prompt? Or it is useless and will they not care - I feel like I've been struggling on not knowing if I should do that or not.
I think there might be some benefit. On MSAR in-state applicants are interviewed at higher rates and accepted in-state students have lower stats, suggesting they may value yield (and interest along with that).

Yes you should be able to find a way to advocate for yourself.

Mind posting the MSTP secondary questions? Ty :)
There were the questions from my application:

"Essays" Page
1. Have you already completed your undergraduate education, have you had your college or graduate education interrupted, or do you plan not to be a full-time student during your application year? (Yes/No)
(If Yes) Describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (2000 characters)

2. Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (3000 characters)

3. Is there anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions? (optional) Some applicants use this space to describe unique experiences, obstacles, and/or challenges they faced in their journey to medical school. (3000 characters)

4. Have you been convicted of any criminal offense (excluding speeding and non-moving traffic offenses)? (If Yes) Please explain. (1000 characters)

"MSTP" Page
Re-enter all of your letter writers' information.

Select academic interests (from a list, choose 3).

Briefly describe the area of research you would like to explore in graduate school (1800 characters).

"Document Upload" Page
Use this tool to upload your CV, abstracts, application updates, letters of interest, or any other material that you wish to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee. (Note: This section is optional, and is not needed to complete your application.) Please note: Applicants are limited to uploading 5 individual documents. Documents uploaded to your application cannot be deleted by you. If you wish to delete a document that you have uploaded, please email the admissions office.

For question 3, do I need to provide descriptions of what I do for each activity or does saying I'm a clinical research assistant and providing a reflection on what I've learned suffice?

Has anyone's submitted application been processed? I submitted my secondary last week, but my application is still marked as "not ready." I think it is because they have to approve my recommendation letters, but I just wanted to confirm with others.

Has anyone's submitted application been processed? I submitted my secondary last week, but my application is still marked as "not ready." I think it is because they have to approve my recommendation letters, but I just wanted to confirm with others.
Mine has also not been marked as processed. They might have to do something manually or something like that.

My application's complete now as of 2:14 EST, they sent an email.

One of my letter writers did not date the letter and WashU notified me... Interfolio and AMCAS both did not check for that I guess. Annoying.

One of my letter writers did not date the letter and WashU notified me... Interfolio and AMCAS both did not check for that I guess. Annoying.
May be annoying but at least you know they're taking your app seriously 🙂

Same thing happened to me last Friday. I got the letter updated, resent it to AMCAS, and called WashU today and they said that I was good to go and marked my application complete during the phone call.

Does anyone have any insight as to when the portal will say that your LORs are approved? I just submitted and it says my application is not ready, and I am assumed it is because my LORs have yet to be approved by the admission committee. I didn't use interflio and nobody sent me their letters so I have no idea if they are signed and dated

Does anyone have any insight as to when the portal will say that your LORs are approved? I just submitted and it says my application is not ready, and I am assumed it is because my LORs have yet to be approved by the admission committee. I didn't use interflio and nobody sent me their letters so I have no idea if they are signed and dated
They said to allow 15 business days from when you submit your secondary for your application materials to be processed, this will include LOR. This is from the email I received after I submitted my secondary:

“Please note that your letters of recommendation will not appear as received until they have been verified to meet the requirements outlined in the application instructions. Please allow 15 business days for processing of application materials.”

Submitted secondary 7/13 at 8PM, LOR had already been sent through AMCAS. My application was marked as complete today, 7/17.

• Wow
Bruh FML I just realized I referred to the school as 'Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine' in all of my secondaries as opposed to 'Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis'

Be brutally honest with me, how bad is this...

• Okay...
Bruh FML I just realized I referred to the school as 'Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine' in all of my secondaries as opposed to 'Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis'

thats pretty harmless imo

literally inconsequential lol it’s not like you named a completely different school

And good luck to everyone applying! I’ve only just started, so I can’t say much about the school without talking out my behind, but I was here for college and can talk about what it is like to live in the general vicinity of campus

And good luck to everyone applying! I’ve only just started, so I can’t say much about the school without talking out my behind, but I was here for college and can talk about what it is like to live in the general vicinity of campus
I would love to hear about your experience living near campus if you don't mind!

There were the questions from my application:

"Essays" Page
1. Have you already completed your undergraduate education, have you had your college or graduate education interrupted, or do you plan not to be a full-time student during your application year? (Yes/No)
(If Yes) Describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student. (2000 characters)

2. Describe a time or situation where you have been unsuccessful or failed. (3000 characters)

3. Is there anything else you would like to share with the Committee on Admissions? (optional) Some applicants use this space to describe unique experiences, obstacles, and/or challenges they faced in their journey to medical school. (3000 characters)

4. Have you been convicted of any criminal offense (excluding speeding and non-moving traffic offenses)? (If Yes) Please explain. (1000 characters)

"MSTP" Page
Re-enter all of your letter writers' information.

Select academic interests (from a list, choose 3).

Briefly describe the area of research you would like to explore in graduate school (1800 characters).

"Document Upload" Page
Use this tool to upload your CV, abstracts, application updates, letters of interest, or any other material that you wish to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee. (Note: This section is optional, and is not needed to complete your application.) Please note: Applicants are limited to uploading 5 individual documents. Documents uploaded to your application cannot be deleted by you. If you wish to delete a document that you have uploaded, please email the admissions office.
For the document upload page, will we be allowed to update throughout the year? like I don't have to submit everything now, correct?

one of my friends did this last cycle and they shot his kneecaps. he's now permanently blacklisted from applying to any med school

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Just got the "Application Complete" email - submitted secondary app 7/16

Hi guys- I’m seeing that on this thread for the first time that WashU wanted the secondary back in 2 weeks. I’ve checked and rechecked my email and instructions and it didn’t indicate that in the email anywhere. I submitted just over 2 weeks. I’m an MSTP applicant, does anyone know if that deadline is different? I’m just hoping to still be considered.

Hi guys- I’m seeing that on this thread for the first time that WashU wanted the secondary back in 2 weeks. I’ve checked and rechecked my email and instructions and it didn’t indicate that in the email anywhere. I submitted just over 2 weeks. I’m an MSTP applicant, does anyone know if that deadline is different? I’m just hoping to still be considered.
From their website: (and a little over 2 weeks will not kick you out)

Step 3: Complete your Supplemental Application (“Secondary Application”)​

Once your verified AMCAS Primary Application has been received, you will be invited to complete the Supplemental Application. You will receive a link to the Supplementary Application via email approximately three days after we receive your verified AMCAS Primary Application. We strongly recommend that you complete your Supplemental Application within two weeks of being invited to do so and no later than November 30, 2023.

From their website: (and a little over 2 weeks will not kick you out)

Step 3: Complete your Supplemental Application (“Secondary Application”)​

Once your verified AMCAS Primary Application has been received, you will be invited to complete the Supplemental Application. You will receive a link to the Supplementary Application via email approximately three days after we receive your verified AMCAS Primary Application. We strongly recommend that you complete your Supplemental Application within two weeks of being invited to do so and no later than November 30, 2023.
Thank you so much! I’m kicking myself for not checking the website, but I submitted just a day after two weeks so hoping that it’s okay! :)

Thank you so much! I’m kicking myself for not checking the website, but I submitted just a day after two weeks so hoping that it’s okay! :)
i submitted mine over a month after I got it, you’re fine. quality of writing is more important

• Love
long story short, didnt apply here bc *cough* stats *cough* … got an email today that I “have the aptitude to take advantage of WUSM” … sure this email doesn’t hold much substance and was sent to tons of people, just thought it was interesting

long story short, didnt apply here bc *cough* stats *cough* … got an email today that I “have the aptitude to take advantage of WUSM” … sure this email doesn’t hold much substance and was sent to tons of people, just thought it was interesting
I got the same email. My stats are close to their class, but slightly under so I also chose not to apply. I think its just an auto email and I'm too tired to apply to another school anyway lmao.

part of me always wants to read into those emails like “oh wow they want me” then i have reality check and be like “no no they just want your money” if i knew i was sent this and it didn’t go out to literally everyone i would be more inclined to apply.