People who took the new NBDE1 (2012)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencegod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you please provide some feedback? Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I just gave my exam today and i will definitely say that exam wasn't easy!!!!!!
There were so many questions i wasn't sure of !!!! many things are not given in decks about which they ask..........Reading kaplan book is a must!!!!!!!!
Good Luck for those preparing for the test!:)

HI!
Could you please tell me where did you buy the Kaplan lecture notes for your NBDE part 1 and how much did it cost? According to you this book for very helpful to you? Please let me know. Hope to hear back from you soon. Thanks.

hi guys, I m taking my part 1 test on 4th of next month ...just scoring around 70-75 % in ASDA ...is it real bad ?
I mean if u score more then 90 + or so in asda then only u r good to go .. or this figure is ok before 15 days of the exam ..

guys who took part 1 already please help .

Members don't see this ad :)
my only sugestion to you whoud be to go through first aid atleast twice before appearing

Thanks carver21... Thats on my list ...I m just concern about low released paper score ....juts wanna confirm how people score on these papers 15-20 days before the real test .

i took the exam in end of june ,passed , wasn't hard although i must say i did hard work on the old papers , so i was lucky that i almost got 10 -12 questions from them , first aid is the key , decks are too good for revision , good luck everyone.

i want to know how much time do u get for each section ??
testlet book which comes with the dental decks package ,, which has some case history n questions regarding that so do that questions come in exam ???
please do reply .....

Hello , I am an international dentist , I graduated in 2007 , an I wanna Take Nbde1 , I started with the First Aid ,and I have Dentessential book , and some other books related to the Subjects in the test but I didn't start with them , but I don't know Is the first Aid enough or What ? for how long I should prepare?
could you plz help me guys :)

Thanks

hello everyone .. i gave my exam august end and i got my result yesterday.. pass... :)
i just want to help others who are confused ,stressed and dont know where to start as i was .. so i did ASDA papers ( very useful ) , first aid and decks and wikipedia to clear my doubts.,, i personally feel they were enough .. Its just keep revising everything again and again and try to clear your concepts,, I wish everyone all the best..thanx

:thumbup:hey
i just received my score report after along wait annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddddddd

i passssssssssssss i am soooooooo happyyyyyyyyyyyyy

all the best to all exam takers

Even tho. it way a couple of months ago...I'm feeling so happy for you :)
Best of luck :)

the time which u get for each section is tht sufficient ??
and how much is the biochemistry portion
plz reply

Hi ... I am an international dentist and am giving my part 1 on October 13. I had a question about the scores people get on the ASDA papers... what is a good score to go?
Also is the new format/questions completely different from the released papers... I don't know how much to prepare as I don't know what to expect. Please help.. am a little anxious here.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello everyone .. i gave my exam august end and i got my result yesterday.. pass... :)
i just want to help others who are confused ,stressed and dont know where to start as i was .. so i did ASDA papers ( very useful ) , first aid and decks and wikipedia to clear my doubts.,, i personally feel they were enough .. Its just keep revising everything again and again and try to clear your concepts,, I wish everyone all the best..thanx

Hello preetdod,
First of all congratulations for your success and it would be nice if you can guide me with some of my queries..can i mail you if so? Do reply.
Thanks.

My exam is very close on November. Any one has ASDA for part 1.. plz pm me.
I am studying from Decks and Biochem for the board>> the best for Biochemistry; finish it in a week.
But for Decks, I see it takes a long time revising each answer. Is it Ok to spend an hour on 5-7 cards. I feel that I won't finish in this way! and sometimes I am confused with all these info.
Do you recommend me to study from a book first then go to decks? and what book?

I studied from text book 1st and then went on to do decks.. i studied Biochem from Kaplan n then read decks.. mostly ppl find biochem very difficult then what they study from decks and ASDA papers.. Yes it was a bit tricky but sine i studied biochem in n out.. i could'nt answer just 1 question from biochem.. Something like which A.A's make Choline?

Are the ASDA papers a good way to estimate your performance on the exam? Is the new format way harder ? What is a good score on the ASDA papers ? Please do reply...

Hi guys! I failed the exam... :'(( it says that my score is 74%. I thought that it's only pass or fail, i didn't know that the scores will be shown if failed. Anyway, I am 1% shorter to passing score. It's frustrating! Anyway, I might take the second one on december, good luck to those who are gonna take the exam! The only thing I can advice right now is just do your best and just focus on 2-3 study materials and repeat it. Good luck! :)

How long do u have to wait to retake the part 1 exam? What is the pattern of retake exam?
Thanks

congrats all of you :)
can you tell me which books to refer.i'm planning to give my exam 11 months from now.I have my boards in 8 months!
i am a third yearB.D.S. student !please tell me how to prepare.i dont have the slightest clue of it. :( :(

congrats all of you :)
can you tell me which books to refer.i'm planning to give my exam 11 months from now.I have my boards in 8 months!
i am a third yearB.D.S. student !please tell me how to prepare.i dont have the slightest clue of it. :( :(
part one can be done in 4-6 months ...refer first aid and decks...and if ur aiming for IDP program and if ur a FTD... any how ur going to get admission after ur BDS degree completion.

I must say at this point of time u r in a very very very good shoes! ....concentrate on ur studies right now for 3rd year and final year ...and get a high GPA ...because ...u can prepare for NBDE in 4-6 months in ur internship .... even if something goes wrong with it in 1st attempt there is always a second chance.... but GPA can not be altered once done is done!
as NBDE goes pass fail now good GPA is one of the key element to get into a good school..... ..

I have a lot of classmates who only glossed over biochem but focused on learning other things. Im using this strategy too haha

Hello, Im from india and in the starting phase of my nbde preps
can you please guide me as to what to read and what to start with?
should i directly jump in for decks or start with the textbooks?
ill be grateful for ur reply..

As mentioned by previous posters, I didn't get any new formatted questions. It was similar to the released questions. No surprises!

part one can be done in 4-6 months ...refer first aid and decks...and if ur aiming for IDP program and if ur a FTD... any how ur going to get admission after ur BDS degree completion.

I must say at this point of time u r in a very very very good shoes! ....concentrate on ur studies right now for 3rd year and final year ...and get a high GPA ...because ...u can prepare for NBDE in 4-6 months in ur internship .... even if something goes wrong with it in 1st attempt there is always a second chance.... but GPA can not be altered once done is done!
as NBDE goes pass fail now good GPA is one of the key element to get into a good school..... ..

Hey thank you!
How much % is good gpa?

Can you please provide some feedback? Appreciate it!

Im studying dentistry in Costa Rica, I finish in december, im a us citizen, I wanna do a specialty programme in texas since to get a license in texas you only need a 2 yr specialty programme. First I know I have to take the nbdes parts 1&2, but I wanna start studying now, I plan to take the exams sometime near june 2013, in my case how much time is it considered enough to prepare for the exam, and what are the best study guides, is kaplan a good choice?? Thanx for your replies!!!!:)

hey everyone .....i gave my nbde1 on the 5th of sept 2012 and recieved a mail saying PASS on the 30th of sept.my advice to all the future test takers is to have the basic knowledge only....do not go into the detail of each subject except anatomy and dental part......there were lots of questions from embryology too even in the testlets.....and clinical general knowledge i.e the systems......i studied kaplan the whole book cover to cover three times in a span of two months......thats all.....in the exam just go with the flow....dont hang on to the questions u are not sure of......i mean dont fret over it.....i was so bored that i finished my exam an hour before and did not even have patience to try to remember the questions.....or to revise.......as a result i spent 25 sleepless nights because i was 90% sure i would fail......so just be cool and try to do ur best......and ya eat well and sleep well from the day u start studying.....no need to worry......its just an exam....ALL THE BEST EVERYONE!!!

Hey... Can u help me with some tips? I have my exam in two weeks...what to concentrate on n during the exam?... Plz plz help

Im studying dentistry in Costa Rica, I finish in december, im a us citizen, I wanna do a specialty programme in texas since to get a license in texas you only need a 2 yr specialty programme. First I know I have to take the nbdes parts 1&2, but I wanna start studying now, I plan to take the exams sometime near june 2013, in my case how much time is it considered enough to prepare for the exam, and what are the best study guides, is kaplan a good choice?? Thanx for your replies!!!!:)
Hi niccadental....I'm a female dentist fom El Salv. :)
I'm in dallas tx, and taking my first board around the same time as you. What part of texas r u gonna live in?!
PM me so I could guide you as much a u need ;)

Best regards!

hey everyone .....i gave my nbde1 on the 5th of sept 2012 and recieved a mail saying PASS on the 30th of sept.my advice to all the future test takers is to have the basic knowledge only....do not go into the detail of each subject except anatomy and dental part......there were lots of questions from embryology too even in the testlets.....and clinical general knowledge i.e the systems......i studied kaplan the whole book cover to cover three times in a span of two months......thats all.....in the exam just go with the flow....dont hang on to the questions u are not sure of......i mean dont fret over it.....i was so bored that i finished my exam an hour before and did not even have patience to try to remember the questions.....or to revise.......as a result i spent 25 sleepless nights because i was 90% sure i would fail......so just be cool and try to do ur best......and ya eat well and sleep well from the day u start studying.....no need to worry......its just an exam....ALL THE BEST EVERYONE!!!
You're great! Thank you :)

paper was difficult,had many scenario based questions,very lengthy exam,also had questions from limbs and thorax.... i could not pass this time

Finally I m done with Part 1 - PASS :)
Got my result in 17 days ..
I must say exam was ok .....if ur scoring more then 78-80% on the ASDA papers... go and give part 1..You will be through ...

be calm throughout the exam..read every question carefully ...there were about 35 questions in each section which I marked for review... and after giving my exam I was under the impression that I ruined it ....but to be precise... there was no single question which was out of the scope of the syllabus.. and yeah in testlets offcourse u have to apply ur clinical judgement a bit ... as those questions were quite conceptual.

First aid, Decks and ASDA papers covers nearly every topic which is asked in the examination ....but ...I must say supplement all these things with books and wiki. ...

Last edited:
How long does an average level student need to study for? I feel like I remember nothing haha

Finally I m done with Part 1 - PASS :)
Got my result in 17 days ..
I must say exam was ok .....if ur scoring more then 78-80% on the ASDA papers... go and give part 1..You will be through ...

be calm throughout the exam..read every question carefully ...there were about 35 questions in each section which I marked for review... and after giving my exam I was under the impression that I ruined it ....but to be precise... there was no single question which was out of the scope of the syllabus.. and yeah in testlets offcourse u have to apply ur clinical judgement a bit ... as those questions were quite conceptual.

First aid, Decks and ASDA papers covers nearly every topic which is asked in the examination ....but ...I must say supplement all these things with books and wiki. ...

Hello:

Congratulations on Passing Part 1.

Thanks for providing information in your post, it was helpful.

Could you please clarify what you meant by 80% in ASDA papers. Do you mean getting 80% on the first attempt of answering the questions on a particular year exam or making sure to go through all ASDA papers and being able to answer 80% after revising them several times??

I would be very grateful if you can clarify, as I am taking the test in a month and am only scoring around 70-72% on my first attempt at the question papers.

Thanks

Hello:

Congratulations on Passing Part 1.

Thanks for providing information in your post, it was helpful.

Could you please clarify what you meant by 80% in ASDA papers. Do you mean getting 80% on the first attempt of answering the questions on a particular year exam or making sure to go through all ASDA papers and being able to answer 80% after revising them several times??

I would be very grateful if you can clarify, as I am taking the test in a month and am only scoring around 70-72% on my first attempt at the question papers.

Thanks

Thanks !
I was talking about particular sets individually not all of them....
n I guess % increase gradually in Asda...like before a month of my exam I was scoring like u ..u can see that on my posts ..but gradually as u solve new papers ur score will increase.

....the technique is ...do papers ...know ur weakness and read again that topic in which ur not good ...then u can boost up ur scores.

How long does an average level student need to study for? I feel like I remember nothing haha

It depends how much time in a day u can give for ur study ...and what is ur pace ..
but I agree contents and very volatile.. I guess many people feels the same and if not ... atleast I do ;)

the time that u get is more than enough....u get all the time to read,re-read and revise ur questions as well.....biochemistry is not dat tough if u just study the basics..i couldnt tolerate biochemistry (all the cycles were just too evil for me!!!!)..i mean i got it all jumbled when i was revising a week before my exams but in the actual test it was quite gud....there were some questions from ASDA as well....those i cud answer with a smile.....i used to get an average of 78% while i was doing my ASDA a week before my exam.....n somewhere i heard that it was ok.....so i guess it is ok......the exam was tough alrite but it was not impossible......just study all u can during the last days........

Hey... Can u help me with some tips? I have my exam in two weeks...what to concentrate on n during the exam?... Plz plz help

i was in the same state u r in rt now before my exam..:scared:...don worry....just revise everythn that u have marked as important and do the ASDA....don worry ....all the studying is done just try remember now....and just think dat its an exam n it will be over soon.....give it your best shot....leave the rest to fate....best of luck!!!:thumbup:

Thanks for your suggestion. In first aid do we have to read only micro,patho or whole book?How many
times did you revise decks?

Hey preetdod,
Congrats for your success.
I'll be taking nbde part 1 in the next few months and i would be glad if you can provide me some part 1 tips. Do reply.
thanks

Hey guys,
I need an advice from people who took the new NBDE 2012. I have following questions:
1) How much score on ASDA is good to go?
2) How are the testlet? Difficult? Manageable ? Or tricky?
3) How to prepare for ethics n testlets?
4) Is the time given sufficient to solve 400 questions?
Please help me with these questions... I have my exam imminent...

Hey guys,
I need an advice from people who took the new NBDE 2012. I have following questions:
1) How much score on ASDA is good to go?
2) How are the testlet? Difficult? Manageable ? Or tricky?
3) How to prepare for ethics n testlets?
4) Is the time given sufficient to solve 400 questions?
Please help me with these questions... I have my exam imminent...

Hi,...well
1. around if ur scoring 78-80 % on ASDA before exams then ur good to go and ur on the safer side.
2.20 - 30 % of question on the exam are testlets
3. Decks is more then enough for ethics but yeah do it in and out nicely.
4.For testlets.. I only did testlets provided with decks ...just to have rough idea ...testlets are not tough if u know part 1 subjects well u will get over this.
5. there is enough time for 400 questions..If u dont know any question mark it down and later come back to it .
Good luck for ur exams ..do well

Hi,...well
1. around if ur scoring 78-80 % on ASDA before exams then ur good to go and ur on the safer side.
4.For testlets.. I only did testlets provided with decks ...just to have rough idea ...testlets are not tough if u know part 1 subjects well u will get over this.
5. there is enough time for 400 questions..If u dont know any question mark it down and later come back to it .

Hey thanks D1804 for answering...
I also have these questions,
1) Are the questions worded very strangely? I heard they twist the sentences a lot... Or are the questions similar to those in ASDA...
2) Did u come across any new format questions? Like multiple choice or match the columns?
3) Do they give picture questions in testlet or in general?
4) I hope they don't get into much details beyond what is given in first aid, ASDA or decks...

Thanks for the guidance...

Hey thanks D1804 for answering...
I also have these questions,
1) Are the questions worded very strangely? I heard they twist the sentences a lot... Or are the questions similar to those in ASDA...
2) Did u come across any new format questions? Like multiple choice or match the columns?
3) Do they give picture questions in testlet or in general?
4) I hope they don't get into much details beyond what is given in first aid, ASDA or decks...

Thanks for the guidance...

well .
.there were not many twisted questions ...majority of the questions were straight forward ...some are indirect questions ..but I did not find any twisted language or sentence...Questions are more or like ASDA format .

Fortunately I did not get any new format questions ..just testlets ..

I did not get many of the picture questions either ... but it was on both ...

Decks ..firstaid ASDA are good to go ...But I was out of a dental school for a while ..as I M FTD ...I used lots of text and wiki to brush up things but in the end I used these 3 ..and I guess this is ok... from these 3 materials u will cover every thing which is in the syllabus.

well .
.there were not many twisted questions ...majority of the questions were straight forward ...some are indirect questions ..but I did not find any twisted language or sentence...Questions are more or like ASDA format .

Fortunately I did not get any new format questions ..just testlets ..

I did not get many of the picture questions either ... but it was on both ...

Decks ..firstaid ASDA are good to go ...But I was out of a dental school for a while ..as I M FTD ...I used lots of text and wiki to brush up things but in the end I used these 3 ..and I guess this is ok... from these 3 materials u will cover every thing which is in the syllabus.

Hey thanks for finding time to reply my questions...
Its helping me a lot...
Thank you.

Can anybody tell me how many minimum right answers out of 400 is good to go? Want to judge my performance in pilot tests...

Hi,...well

Hello D1804,
Hope if you can answer these questions.
Are the testlet questions asked in depth? Did you study from medical review books? Which book did you refer for biochemistry? Are the decks and ASDA enough? Your reply would be appreciated.
thanks

Hello D1804,
Hope if you can answer these questions.
Are the testlet questions asked in depth? Did you study from medical review books? Which book did you refer for biochemistry? Are the decks and ASDA enough? Your reply would be appreciated.
thanks

Hi,
Well testlet questions are not too hard ..as I say if u have decent command on part 1 subjects....u can do it...
I did few units from lippincott Biochem ..Proteins..aminoacids ...metabolism of carbs ..and Molecular biology.I used BRS physio just for reference..(its a nice book to brush up your concepts.. if u studied these subject long back and need to start it from scratch its good )

Last edited: