People who took the new NBDE1 (2012)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencegod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you please provide some feedback? Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you please provide some feedback? Appreciate it!
Took it yesterday, it was the same as the released practice exams pretty much as far as question content. I didn't have any new format style questions (Multiple answer, extended matching, and such) which was kind of surprising.

wow....thats surprising! we were waiting to hear about some new pattern questions. folks who gave the test this year please share ur experience.

hi..... did any body give exam in these 10 days?...
pls...share some experience.... hw was it? any change in new format? n wat bt questions thy asked?......

thnx.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. I just took the exam today. There were absolutely NO NEW FORMAT QUESTIONS, not even one. Every item was in the old format. The exam was difficult, I studied from a few sources, including the Dental Decks, First Aid for NBDE, and Kaplan Lecture Notes (this book I used less).

Many of the questions, I was not 100% sure of the answers but I had an idea that it could be the one I selected. A ton of the questions were very, very specific...you will not find these things in the dental decks. In retrospect, I should have used the Kaplan Lecture Notes more because it goes into more detail on everything.
The testlets weren't terrible, overall.

The time is sufficient to finish the exam, you have time to review your marked questions.
Overall, I finished the exam not sure of how I fared...many people told me it would be like this...so now just have to wait and see...

@t33th : Was the exam so difficult ? can't we even get passing score ?
How many months did you prepare ?
Which year decks have you studied ?

The exam was difficult, yes, but passable. When I refer to difficulty, it is in the sense that many questions I was unsure of because I was not familiar with the material (or the question was worded very strangely). I read the dental decks 2009-2010 3 times and supplemented this with NBDE First Aid and Kaplan Lecture Notes, as well as released papers. I prepared for 6 months. The first 4 months about 7 hours a day, the last 2 months about 10-12 hours. I knew the material on the cards very well...one of the big difficulties is question wording.

Took it yesterday, it was the same as the released practice exams pretty much as far as question content. I didn't have any new format style questions (Multiple answer, extended matching, and such) which was kind of surprising.

Hi,
Good luck on your results!
What materials did you use to study and did you think that these were sufficient?
Thanks..

I just took my part 1 and i seriously , it was kind of difficult for me, cause first of all, more than 50 % of the day was only Chemistry and it was full of Syndromes related with co-enzymes and stuff, i just study 3 months, and i think i have to study more ...what d u think? well i want to get the 2012 decks , cause I got the 2007 decks, give me some advised regarding....thx. [email protected]

hii every body
did any body took the exam in the previous last week? any changes?any kind of difficulties?did they concentrate on speciic topic? any one can answer please:scared::scared::scared::scared:

please whoever took exam in 2012 please can u tell me that were there pictures in the exam specially in oral anatomy like right or left or in histology or tooth movement.....are dental decks 2010,usmle step 1 and first aid step 1 and past papers are sufficient....?

The exam was difficult, yes, but passable. When I refer to difficulty, it is in the sense that many questions I was unsure of because I was not familiar with the material (or the question was worded very strangely). I read the dental decks 2009-2010 3 times and supplemented this with NBDE First Aid and Kaplan Lecture Notes, as well as released papers. I prepared for 6 months. The first 4 months about 7 hours a day, the last 2 months about 10-12 hours. I knew the material on the cards very well...one of the big difficulties is question wording.
How did you have so much time to study? Are you not a dental student?

Members don't see this ad :)
do u think passing the exam is really difficult?wht is the part,i mean subjuect that is the most tough on the exam?im kinda creeped out with pathology.did they ask a lot of mucle questions in anatomy?how long did u prepare?

i passed wow
incredible

you def need to study the kaplan blue book, imho the new exam is way harder than the released exams til 1985. every 3rd question i was not confident of the answer. PM me if you want to buy my copy of kaplan, i'm getting rid of all my books.

hey stillmaticbeat,

congrats for ur result...all da very best.cld u let me from which year question papers did u start studyin as well as. the books u r plannnin to sell-the edition/year...n cost ...

thnk u..

hey stillmaticbeat,

congrats for ur result...all da very best.cld u let me from which year question papers did u start studyin as well as. the books u r plannnin to sell-the edition/year...n cost ...

thnk u..

i did decks
kaplan blue book
kaplan q banks
first aid
releasedexams

2 months 4 hours a day until 1 week before 7 hours a day

hey.i've just started my preparation for part 1. could you please tell me approx how much time i should take to complete one subject.i'm planning to take it in 6 months from now.i've started studying from kaplan review notes and decks side by side..

i did decks
kaplan blue book
kaplan q banks
first aid
releasedexams

2 months 4 hours a day until 1 week before 7 hours a day

hey congrats on passing the exam .....i wanted to ask if u got the new format questionsin the exam?
also how many times did u finish the subjects ?

Can some one tell me, is it possible to go back your previous block after your BREAK?
I mean to say, we can change answer of any question up to end of exam. Is it true?
Please, reply soon, as my exam is after 1 week.
Lukhelal@gmail. Com

Thank you.

Can some one tell me, is it possible to go back your previous block after your BREAK?
I mean to say, we can change answer of any question up to end of exam. Is it true?
Please, reply soon, as my exam is after 1 week.
Lukhelal@gmail. Com

Thank you.

you can't go back to previous questions.

I just took my exam yesterday. I think the exam was 10% super hard, 20% hard, 50% medium, 20% super easy. I studied for one month and 2 weeks 7 hours per day. I finished DECKS twice and the important ones three times.. I finished all released questions twice... too tooooo many questions are repeated with different wording I faced maybe 10 questions same exact words. Kaplan is your WORST resource either the book or specially the stupid videos. I graduated 8 years ago I didn't practice dentistry since 4 years.. I absolutely couldn't remember what masticatory muscles are before I started, everything was like I am studying a new language and I know I will pass in shaa Allah. study smart and don't spend too much time on one info there's wary too much to cover. good luck for everybody

hi samial7ayer!
best wishes for ur results! it would be helpfull if u could share ur source,kaplan sources does not work me either! but every1 in the forum keeps talking high abt kaplan.whats ur advice on this

hi samial7ayer!
best wishes for ur results! it would be helpfull if u could share ur source,kaplan sources does not work me either! but every1 in the forum keeps talking high abt kaplan.whats ur advice on this
I have the 2012-2013 Decks and the released Qs from the 90s-2009..... Kaplan is not only a waste of time but also it makes you want to quit on studying! the wording and organizing of the book is terrible:mad:. the USMLE videos is boring and too many details you will never be asked about... there Q bank is very confusing! don't spend one minute on the Q bank, spend every minute on the released questions YOU have to do hundreds of released the more you do the more you close to pass.. I also used first aide for dental anatomy as it was about 30 pages after I finished decks and it was very organized, straight to the point and from my experience they DO use a lot of first aide dental anatomy wording in the exam. GOOD LUCK

thanku so much for the reply..guess i should just stick with decks,papers and firstaid. and many thanks for clearing my doubts about kaplan.

Thank you for your response! Could you please tell us if you had any new pattern multiple choice questions?

There was NO new pattern at all.. same as the released ones... NO pictures or diagrams either but you still have to study the occlusion diagrams as they do ask about them

hello everyone i took the NBDE part 1 in march 12 .... i still didnt get any results is it normal ??? i started to feel soo depressed especialy tht the exam wasnt easy at all and i have low hopes .... it says on the website 4 to 5 weeks ... im now at the 6th week is it normal??:scared:

hello everyone i took the NBDE part 1 in march 12 .... i still didnt get any results is it normal ??? i started to feel soo depressed especialy tht the exam wasnt easy at all and i have low hopes .... it says on the website 4 to 5 weeks ... im now at the 6th week is it normal??:scared:

You just depressed me, I took mine mid April, I hope they won't take two months before they send us the results!!... I am going to start studying for part2 next week I am not wasting my time on there bull****.

I gave exam iin first week of april and got result in just 2 weeks time...call JCNDE
for further information about your results...wish u good luck!!!

you could call prometric after a month, and they should inform you of the status. They will not give you the result but they will let you know if they had sent it. Good luck!

Hi i got my result delayed for a month ... i called ADA after a month ,, they said it has been two weeks since we posted it . . so i requested them to repost it ...they did it free of charge .. got my result a week later

Can I please get only the released papers from u? If so, how do I go about getting it. Thanks

Last edited:
thanku so much for the reply..guess i should just stick with decks,papers and firstaid. and many thanks for clearing my doubts about kaplan.

m using the same material , when ru planing take the exam?

I just gave my exam today and i will definitely say that exam wasn't easy!!!!!!
There were so many questions i wasn't sure of !!!! many things are not given in decks about which they ask..........Reading kaplan book is a must!!!!!!!!
Good Luck for those preparing for the test!:)

Hello!..... can you tell me where I can find the release practice exam please?

thanks!!! that can help me a lot!!!

I have the 2012-2013 Decks and the released Qs from the 90s-2009..... Kaplan is not only a waste of time but also it makes you want to quit on studying! the wording and organizing of the book is terrible:mad:. the USMLE videos is boring and too many details you will never be asked about... there Q bank is very confusing! don't spend one minute on the Q bank, spend every minute on the released questions YOU have to do hundreds of released the more you do the more you close to pass.. I also used first aide for dental anatomy as it was about 30 pages after I finished decks and it was very organized, straight to the point and from my experience they DO use a lot of first aide dental anatomy wording in the exam. GOOD LUCK
HI!..... can you tell me where I can buy the decks of 2012-2013??

thanks!!

I just gave my exam today and i will definitely say that exam wasn't easy!!!!!!
There were so many questions i wasn't sure of !!!! many things are not given in decks about which they ask..........Reading kaplan book is a must!!!!!!!!
Good Luck for those preparing for the test!:)

Thanks for sharing. What materials did you use in your preparation? I was confused by the kaplan book. Are you talking about the blue"kaplan review-dentessentials" or the regular,thick kaplan lecture notes?

i used kaplan lecture notes, released exams and dental decks 2009-10...................

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. What materials did you use in your preparation? I was confused by the kaplan book. Are you talking about the blue"kaplan review-dentessentials" or the regular,thick kaplan lecture notes?

i am talking about the lecture notes........

Excuse me how to get the released paper after 2008? I didn't see them at the ASDA website.

Good luck to all who are appearing for part 1 soon
All that u have read all this while....
I would say from experience that..... Revise... It helps a lot....
Last few days just keep for revision