Permanent Resident vs Citizen for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefulpremed123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am currently a sophomore studying at UC Davis. I was just wondering, as i have a green card( permanent resident status) from 2013, I will be receiving my citizenship around October of 2018. 2018 happens to be the year i will be applying to medical school, so will being a permanent resident be viewed in a negative light compared to being a citizen? I am currently a California resident though, and have been living here since 2008.

Just for clarification, I will be submitting my primaries for medical school in June 2018, and I will actually apply for the citizenship in April 2018 and will receive it sometime in October. Is there a way to notify them within my primary that i have already applied for a citizenship and just am awaiting it, or am I just making a big deal out of it, and both are seen equally?

@Catalystik @Goro @gyngyn

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I am currently a sophomore studying at UC Davis. I was just wondering, as i have a green card( permanent resident status) from 2013, I will be receiving my citizenship around October of 2018. 2018 happens to be the year i will be applying to medical school, so will being a permanent resident be viewed in a negative light compared to being a citizen? I am currently a California resident though, and have been living here since 2008.

Just for clarification, I will be submitting my primaries for medical school in June 2018, and I will actually apply for the citizenship in April 2018 and will receive it sometime in October. Is there a way to notify them within my primary that i have already applied for a citizenship and just am awaiting it, or am I just making a big deal out of it, and both are seen equally?

@Catalystik @Goro @gyngyn

Thank you
No need to delay application by a year or notify schools of the imminence of citizenship status, as there is no bias against permanent residents among AMCAS schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No need to delay application by a year or notify schools of the imminence of citizenship status, as there is no bias against permanent residents among AMCAS schools.

So will I be viewed equally, as an citizen would? Or will I be considered as an international student/ 2nd tier to a citizen?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile