Permanent Resident vs Citizen for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hopefulpremed123

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone,

I am currently a sophomore studying at UC Davis. I was just wondering, as i have a green card( permanent resident status) from 2013, I will be receiving my citizenship around October of 2018. 2018 happens to be the year i will be applying to medical school, so will being a permanent resident be viewed in a negative light compared to being a citizen? I am currently a California resident though, and have been living here since 2008.

Just for clarification, I will be submitting my primaries for medical school in June 2018, and I will actually apply for the citizenship in April 2018 and will receive it sometime in October. Is there a way to notify them within my primary that i have already applied for a citizenship and just am awaiting it, or am I just making a big deal out of it, and both are seen equally?

@Catalystik @Goro @gyngyn

Thank you
 
Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

I am currently a sophomore studying at UC Davis. I was just wondering, as i have a green card( permanent resident status) from 2013, I will be receiving my citizenship around October of 2018. 2018 happens to be the year i will be applying to medical school, so will being a permanent resident be viewed in a negative light compared to being a citizen? I am currently a California resident though, and have been living here since 2008.

Just for clarification, I will be submitting my primaries for medical school in June 2018, and I will actually apply for the citizenship in April 2018 and will receive it sometime in October. Is there a way to notify them within my primary that i have already applied for a citizenship and just am awaiting it, or am I just making a big deal out of it, and both are seen equally?

@Catalystik @Goro @gyngyn

Thank you
No need to delay application by a year or notify schools of the imminence of citizenship status, as there is no bias against permanent residents among AMCAS schools.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No need to delay application by a year or notify schools of the imminence of citizenship status, as there is no bias against permanent residents among AMCAS schools.

So will I be viewed equally, as an citizen would? Or will I be considered as an international student/ 2nd tier to a citizen?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile