Question About Being US Citizen But Having Permanent Residence Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nautilus101

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a US citizen, but my permanent residence (parent's/family's home) is in a foreign country. I went to high school in that foreign country and am currently in the States (New York) for college. When I apply to medical school, I do not think that I can claim New York State residency because my sole purpose for being in New York was for school, and I am still a financial dependent as an undergraduate student. Thus, I think that I will have to put my parent's permanent residence address in the foreign country for my permanent address on AMCAS. Due to my permanent address being outside of the US, will I be considered an international applicant, and will this give me a disadvantage in the admissions process?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am a US citizen, but my permanent residence (parent's/family's home) is in a foreign country. I went to high school in that foreign country and am currently in the States (New York) for college. When I apply to medical school, I do not think that I can claim New York State residency because my sole purpose for being in New York was for school, and I am still a financial dependent as an undergraduate student. Thus, I think that I will have to put my parent's permanent residence address in the foreign country for my permanent address on AMCAS. Due to my permanent address being outside of the US, will I be considered an international applicant, and will this give me a disadvantage in the admissions process?

Thanks!
Put your local address as permanent one .
do you pay taxes in the US?

Reactions: 1 user
I highly doubt it'll be a disadvantage. You're a US citizen, and there won't be any visa issues for education + residency. The downside would be not having any real connections to any states for the state schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are either of your parents US citizens? Do they claim a state of residence for tax purposes and for voting in US elections?
If you are a US citizen and you are registered to vote in the US, I would think that you can list that state as your state of residence.

Are either of your parents US citizens? Do they claim a state of residence for tax purposes and for voting in US elections?
If you are a US citizen and you are registered to vote in the US, I would think that you can list that state as your state of residence.
Neither of my parents are US citizens, and do not live in the US, so they do not have a state of residence for tax and voting purposes. I am a US citizen, but I am not registered to vote yet; however, I think that I could get a NY state drivers license and register to vote in NY easily. So if I want to list NY as my state of residence on AMCAS, is it not really necessary that I meet all the requirements for NY state residency according to tax laws or official state domicile/residency requirements? Thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, I do pay taxes in the US, and I have filed for NY State taxes before as well.
I think the info you are getting is half right. You are a US citizen, so you'll be eligible for federal loans and will be eligible for admission at any US school. But, if you're a dependent and your parents are not legal residents of any state, you will not be eligible for IS tuition or admission preferences anywhere, UNLESS you take a gap year, get a job, and provide at least one-half of your own support during that year.

This will have nothing to do with AMCAS, but will be dealt with individually by all the schools. You know what the NY requirements are. You don't meet them because your parents are not permanent NY residents, and you are not independent. Paying taxes and voting are not enough!!

Last edited:
@KnightDoc has got it right. If you want to attend a state school in NY and you want to get a tuition break, it might be smart to take a gap year and work in NY State. If you are interested in private schools or schools outside of NY State, then go ahead and apply right out of college. Meanwhile, do your civic duty and exercise your right to register and vote in the Novemer election.