personal statement as a reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

belljar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, are you guys addressing the fact that you didn't get in the first time applying in your ps. I don't know if i should say "i didn't get in to med school when i tried last year, but i am here again" or something like that to bring it to their attention?

Members don't see this ad.

If you read through the threads, most will tell you to sell yourself using the PS. At first, I mentioned that I was a reapplicant, but it did nothing to strengthen my PS. In the end, I didn't even mention it. The school will know whether or not you are a reapplicant...why waste precious space telling them something they already know?

I agree that it is better not to make the fact that you are a reapplicant a center point in your essay. However, do include what you have been doing in the last year, or what your plans are for the next year as you are going through this application cycle.

For example:
I have (will have the opportunity to) accomplished many things since I graduated from college...
I have appreciated my time off from school...
I feel that my time off has (will allow me to)...

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I agree with both posts. Don't mention it. Just highlight your determination to be a physician and use the space to make it sound like your the best thing since sliced bread. :) The space is too precious to spend highlighting something that isn't relevent.

mrsmac

thanks...it makes sense. i didnt' know how to do it tactfully so i didn't look like i was begging for a chance or something like that.

belljar said:
thanks...it makes sense. i didnt' know how to do it tactfully so i didn't look like i was begging for a chance or something like that.

in many reapplicant threads, people seem to say that adcoms want to see how you've improved yourself between applications, so i think it is important to address the issue that you did apply in the past and here you are again. if you submit information that is similar to your first application (grades, ECs, PS, LORs), they'll wonder how this application (the papers that represent you to them) is different than you in your previous application.

the final paragraph in my PS is along the lines of:
"... since my first application I have done A, B, C am now doing D and plan to complete E in the near future." especially highlighting things i knew to be shortcomings in my previous application...

i CERTAINLY wouldn't make the fact that my application this year is the second one that i've made the central focus of the essay, but as a previous poster said, they'll know it's your second and they'll want to know that you know and that you've done something about the aspects of your previous application that were lacking

what if you are reapplying but you did not apply to the majority of schools you will be reapplying to, for example if you applied only 5-6 places the prior year...would you still mention it in the PS

abababa said:
what if you are reapplying but you did not apply to the majority of schools you will be reapplying to, for example if you applied only 5-6 places the prior year...would you still mention it in the PS

That's one of the reasons I didn't talk about my reapplicant status. I only applied to 6 schools the last time around, and since I'll be applying to more schools, half of them won't know that I had applied 2yrs ago (unless AMCAS gives out that info)

abababa said:

i questioned myself about this too because this year i upped the number of places i sent the amcas to from 15-->23 (i'm probably going to crap myself when i have to do all those secondaries)... but i do think that it's worth mentioning how i've become a better candidate through my experience of applying, being waitlisted and (unfortunately) rejected...

the actual phrasing i used in my PS (that i alluded to before) is:

"I am enthusiastic about this, my second, application for medical school because I am an even stronger candidate this year."
and then i go on to discuss in what ways i am stronger...
schools that i previously applied to already know that i applied to them before (that little radio button on the school selection page) and schools that i am applying to the first time can see that i am a mature candidate and even if it sets off a little warning bell for them, it's what happened and i, personally, think that reapplicants show the kind of mettle that med students (and doctors) need in the face of adversity...

if i hadn't done very much in between applications, i'd hesitate to mention that fact...
however, the reapplication thing also ties into the rest of my PS (changing fields to medicine and having to catch up to the rest of the applicant field)

well, my biggest problem in my application wasn't the EC or LOR or anything like that. it was strictly my verbal score. So, i still don't know how i did on the april mcat but i know that is why i didn't get in. no school gave me much of a chance. I don't know if i should say, "hey, i took the mcat again and [when i find my score that is hopefully higher] i did better this time". I just feel worried about bringing attention to this issue.

That's a good question B.Jar. I'm kind of in the same boat with some gpa stuff instead of MCAT. I think I'll leave that part out (I mentioned it in the ECs sections) but probably fandangle something in there about how not getting accepted did nothing but strengthen my resolve and then transition into what I've done since I last applied. G'luck with that verbal score :luck: ...

belljar said:
well, my biggest problem in my application wasn't the EC or LOR or anything like that. it was strictly my verbal score. So, i still don't know how i did on the april mcat but i know that is why i didn't get in. no school gave me much of a chance. I don't know if i should say, "hey, i took the mcat again and [when i find my score that is hopefully higher] i did better this time". I just feel worried about bringing attention to this issue.

Bringing attention to a low score that you improved upon can only help you because it's a struggle you overcame. A low verbal score was also my weakness. I mentioned that I was reapplying this year in my PS, and it's been a positive factor so far.

redstar18 said:
Bringing attention to a low score that you improved upon can only help you because it's a struggle you overcame. A low verbal score was also my weakness. I mentioned that I was reapplying this year in my PS, and it's been a positive factor so far.

what do you mean about it being a positive factor so far?
have you had some kind of feedback already?

I had 12 interviews and 2 acceptances so far, so I'm guessing that mentioning that I was a reapplicant or that I had a low verbal score didn't hurt me. Actually, none of my interviewers really brought it up except one, and she was impressed that I was able to improve my app despite the initial setback.

so, the basis consensus: mention that i am a reapplicant but make sure it is not a highlight of my ps, and point out my improvement on verbal (hopefully, once i find out on tuesday)!

hi
i was wondering if anyone had suggestions for me... i got 4 interviews this past cycle (2 waitlist, 1 still waiting) and i feel like my biggest weakness was the lateness of my app (there are others, but i think the lateness was the main factor). so i'm wondering how much of my amcas to change. i know everyone says to talk about how much you've improved, but i haven't exactly devoted this past year to improving my app. i've just been working to pay the bills and continuing one of my volunteer positions.

muchas gracias por su ayuda

I didn't change my PS from one year to the next at all. However, I did revise and update my EC's.

Spaz-

While lateness is a big factor, the adcoms are still going to be looking for signs that you have done something over the past year to show your dedication to medicine. It is fine not to completely redo your PS, but update it to include what you have been doing and why it is important, and what you will be doing as well. Play up your continued volunteering. Be sure to update the EC's and try and add something new there as well.