This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikeolik

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently writing my personal letter and would like to know if you guys think these accomplishments are worthy of being present in my application (these are broad topics and they would of course be elaborated on):

- Started a business in college with $500.00, company is now worth $650k (currently CEO)
- 5 years experience working as an EMT in NYC.
- 3 years experience in NON-DENTAL orthopedic department at Methodist hospital (Brooklyn,NY)
- 3 years working for Red Cross Lifeguard society
- Organized events for the homeless in order to give back to the low SES community.

Of course, I will include by clinical work at a dental office.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing wrong with including those just make sure that anything you put can be related back to dentistry/how it will help you in dental school. Ex. Starting and maintainign a successful business = leadership, teamwork, dedication, discipline (to manage business and maintain grades other activities)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your feedback, it's greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think all those are great points to add to your statement. Maybe try to exclude the amount of money, and just say it has become successful. And of course, don't forget to explain why dentistry.

@Rambunctious - thank you for your feedback. Do you think it would be appropriate to tie that in the aspiration of me owning my own practice? After all, that is my ultimate goal. I want to open my own office and also start a non-profit for dentistry in low SES areas.

@Rambunctious - thank you for your feedback. Do you think it would be appropriate to tie that in the aspiration of me owning my own practice? After all, that is my ultimate goal. I want to open my own office and also start a non-profit for dentistry in low SES areas.

Yes that's fine, but also mention something about the patients, not just about your own desires.

Thats an awful idea. Thats a goal of 80% of people applying eventually. This is about the qualities, the human qualities, you have. Tell a story that shows them. If you choose to talk about business and growing a successful one and then using this open up a private practice then I really think you are going to get shut out at some of the schools. If you do go down this road do not apply to ASDOH, MOSDOH, or any of those type schools.

I think the orthopedic experience would stand out. Develop that part. Dentistry also deals with bones and tissues and there is a surgical aspect.