Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Katatonic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm going to apply to USUHS (or USU, what's the official name now?), do I need to change my personal statement for other schools to explain why I want to join the military as well, or is this a question that is better explained on secondary essays and interview? The only reason I won't probably mention the military in my apps to other schools is because you can't apply for the HPSP until after acceptance, but I wasn't sure if it is different for USUHS. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If I'm going to apply to USUHS (or USU, what's the official name now?), do I need to change my personal statement for other schools to explain why I want to join the military as well, or is this a question that is better explained on secondary essays and interview? The only reason I won't probably mention the military in my apps to other schools is because you can't apply for the HPSP until after acceptance, but I wasn't sure if it is different for USUHS. Thanks!

1. USUHS' secondary app specifically addresses your motivations for pursuing military medicine; so no need to say anything about it in your personal statement.

2. You actually don't need a school acceptance before starting the HPSP application process or being selected for the scholarship (contingent upon a school acceptance).

2. You actually don't need a school acceptance before starting the HPSP application process or being selected for the scholarship (contingent upon a school acceptance).

If you got a 28 or above (I think) then you are an automatic acceptance for the HPSP scholarship. I started the application last August, just after I submitted secondaries. By September, I had been selected for the scholarship and approved. Once I picked a school, they processed the last of the paperwork. There are lots of little hassles, so it would be good to get your HPSP stuff out of the way as early as you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, thanks for the info regarding HPSP, I'll look into starting some of the paperwork. I haven't taken the MCAT yet (5/28 test date) but it couldn't hurt getting prepared anyway.

Please don't take this as an attack of some type. I just wonder, if you've read all the potential negatives of military medicine, and what your real reasons for seeking the scholarship are?

If you got a 28 or above (I think) then you are an automatic acceptance for the HPSP scholarship. I started the application last August, just after I submitted secondaries. By September, I had been selected for the scholarship and approved. Once I picked a school, they processed the last of the paperwork. There are lots of little hassles, so it would be good to get your HPSP stuff out of the way as early as you can.

Especially medical issues like consults/waivers that have been mentioned in umpteen threads.

Please don't take this as an attack of some type. I just wonder, if you've read all the potential negatives of military medicine, and what your real reasons for seeking the scholarship are?

I have read quite a bit about the negatives here (this is my only source of this though, I haven't spoken to any military docs in person). My real reasons for seeking the scholarship or going to USUHS are several and would take awhile to explain though. In either case, I'm just trying to gain as much information as possible since I still have quite awhile to decide (especially considering I'm not accepted anywhere yet haha).

I have read quite a bit about the negatives here (this is my only source of this though, I haven't spoken to any military docs in person). My real reasons for seeking the scholarship or going to USUHS are several and would take awhile to explain though. In either case, I'm just trying to gain as much information as possible since I still have quite awhile to decide (especially considering I'm not accepted anywhere yet haha).

talk to your recruiter(s) about seeing a clinic and talking with physicians. Mine was very open to it. and even drove me there on a weekend and picked me up later after several hours with a couple of doctors. - it ended up being whoever randomnly was on that weekend which was good and really very helpful.

Make sure you ask every question, stupid or not, you have and from as many different perspectives as you can (doctors, recruiters, nurses, "orderly", etc). DO IT! you want to make as informed a decision as possible.

talk to your recruiter(s) about seeing a clinic and talking with physicians. Mine was very open to it. and even drove me there on a weekend and picked me up later after several hours with a couple of doctors. - it ended up being whoever randomnly was on that weekend which was good and really very helpful.

Make sure you ask every question, stupid or not, you have and from as many different perspectives as you can (doctors, recruiters, nurses, "orderly", etc). DO IT! you want to make as informed a decision as possible.

Although a good idea, I'd recommend in addition to do research on your own, not guided by your recruiter.

Go online and call up as many bases as you can, call up random clinics, and speak to as many physicians as you can. Avoid Col's, as by that time they've had gallons of the kool-aid, and will be of little help, ( of course with few exceptions).