Re-Apply personal statements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonofva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just finished up an internship. Passed over for specialty of choice. Going out on hardship tour and reapplying. Told by PDs that this was a good idea and that I'm competitive. What should I write about in my new PS? Accomplishments since intern year? How much I still like the specialty? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Personal statements have very little weight. At least in the navy, they don't even want one unless there is some specific thing to know ( colocation, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't bother. What Gastrapathy said is exactly what I was told by multiple people when I was in your position (including my PD, my former PD, and my department chair).

Is this true for 4th year students applying to internship?
Personal statements have very little weight. At least in the navy, they don't even want one unless there is some specific thing to know ( colocation, etc).

Is this just after intern year or for medical students also?

For Navy, I recommend reviewing the precept when it is published. It will make it crystal clear that they don't want personal statements.