Personality vs medical specialty: Myers-Briggs Revisited

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
not alone anymore!

enfp

i think we're 3%? i always think mine is gonna change because the questions are so weird but i always end up enfp.

ENFP too!

Members don't see this ad.

Very very INTJ... among many others, amazing.

Kind of makes sense that INTJs would congregate on an internet forum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do INTJs enjoy heme/onc and/or rad onc?

With all those research protocols I wasn't sure if those were more INTP or INTJ fields.

any "mastermind" or "intellectual" would know that Myers-Briggs is a bunch of BS. It is neither scientifically valid nor reliable. Five-Factor Model ftw.

ENTJ: I have to admit I do like Neurology & Psychiatry... idk so much about pathology...

I remember online seeing the specialties for my type (NF...they only looked at the middle 2 letters) and they were pediatrics, psychiatry, and oncology which were all my top choices. :laugh:

Very very INTJ... among many others, amazing.

Kind of makes sense that INTJs would congregate on an internet forum.

How very, INTJ of you to deduce that.

iNTJ here as well.

INTP/INFP here

Its funny, I was almost dead set on Pathology, and now I'm more into Public Health, both are like 3-4th on the list for me. I'm a little creeped

Another INTJ here.

There was already a thread on this with a poll:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=401725&highlight=mbti

Two things I thought were very interesting:

IxTJ types were extremely over-represented. SDN pre-allo had nearly 16% ISTJs, compared to 6% in real life. SDN also appears to have an amazing surplus of INTJs--15% compared to 1% in real life.

xSFP types, about 18% of the real population, were severely under-represented on SDN - just 3% ESFP and 1% ISFP.

This is interesting..

Another INTJ here.

Members don't see this ad :)
As has been encouraged, don't put too much stock in meyers briggs. For one, the test is definitely insightful, but the descriptions you find online are meant to boost your ego and make you smile. They play up your "strengths" and gloss over where you're likely to fail. Also, if you read what Carl Jung wrote about the types (it's his research the test is based on), you'll find that he had a very different idea about all of this than what is represented in the tests and descriptions you'll find online. It's tempting to let the descriptions define you (because they're so positive) and to start cramming your behavior and thoughts into the framework MB gives you. But it's absolutely, positively, far too definitive to actually describe real human beings. (Which, in my opinion, goes for psychiatry and psychology too)

I'm an ENFJ by the test's standards, and reading into it too far sent me on a TRIP for a few months. Save yourself the anxiety, especially all you INFJs and ENFJs (Jung says you--like him--tend to be captivated by this sort of stuff).

Best,

bpj

I'm an INFP, but moderate on the E vs. I part of it. Remember that all of this is on a spectrum.

I didn't see EM on the list OP linked to, but that's what I'm most interested in as of yet.

INFJ...and my goal is to become a psychiatrist. Go figure. I love Jung.

ENFP [:
Extroverted (E) 54.55% Introverted (I) 45.45% (sometimes I get 50:50 here)
Intuitive (N) 61.9% Sensing (S) 38.1%
Feeling (F) 57.5% Thinking (T) 42.5%
Perceiving (P) 72.73% Judging (J) 27.27%

It's funny, the most voted thing on here (ISTJ) and I are polar opposites. Go fig.

such an overrated test. its pointless to use this to decide which specialty suits you best. simply put, this test is like a fortune cookie message on steroids. but hey some people will still trust it and that's cool with me because i know these same people read their horoscope religiously and smile thinking they're hot stuff lmao

I've taken the test a few times. Once or twice I've matched as INTP, mostly INTJ. INTJ matches my interests closely: engineering/math/science/medicine.

Yes, another ENFP...

just google your t ype, the most fascinating info comes up...

Also - psychiatry is one of my interests - so is hospitalist, rhuematology, derm or allergy! I actually want to interact with my patients :oops:)

Another ENFP here, also interested in psychiatry!

Just saying hi to my fellow INTJ's

Its weird how how many of us are on here. Birds of a feather flock together I guess.

INTJ

This should have been made into a poll where we could readily see results.

ESFJ

As caretakers, ESFJs sense danger all around--germs within, the elements without, unscrupulous malefactors, insidious character flaws. The world is a dangerous place, not to be trusted. Not that the ESFJ is paranoid; 'hyper-vigilant' would be more precise. And thus they serve excellently as protectors, outstanding in fields such as medical care and elementary education.

Another ESFJ here. Weird that there aren't more of us here... but funny that I'm in education right now and hope to end up in medicine.

INTJ, but none of the top specialties appeal to me.

Can an INTJ enjoy derm? It is very practical in the sense that it pays well and allows us to have free time...but can an INTJ find it interesting enough to turn it into a living?

INTP

I took the exact same test 4 years ago and I think I got the same thing. I didn't change at all.

INTJ

It says that INTJ's account for one to two percent of the population, yet most of the people on this forum seem to be INTJ's. Hmm...