PGY-1 interview invites (2019-2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard back from University of Illinois Chicago or University of Chicago? And was the invite by email or by phone?

I heard from UIC earlier this week via email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody get an invite or rejection from UC Davis acute care or Duke?

Rejection from Sarasota memorial, that makes 3 rejections 0 invites

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Mayo Clinic Main Campus HSPA Invite - 1/11
Hopkins Informatics Rejection - 1/11

Phone interview with Valley Medical Center in Renton Washington.

Anyone have any tips for a preliminary phone interview?

When do programs usually send out rejection emails? I noticed that on the google sheet, many programs i appied to have sent out interview invites already but i have not heard back from them...

When do programs usually send out rejection emails? I noticed that on the google sheet, many programs i appied to have sent out interview invites already but i have not heard back from them...

I think the programs are different. I’ve received some rejections on the same day people got their invites. Some programs may never contact us, and some may be holding onto our apps in case people decline their invites

Reactions: 1 user

When I applied last year, I never got a rejection for one program. Literally never heard anything from them. Figured it was because it was phase II but that might be a thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I see on the reddit doc that a program sent out interview invitations on Friday but I never got one, does this generally mean I won't be getting an invite? Just wondering if programs typically send invitations on multiple days or is it more of a one time thing...

If I see on the reddit doc that a program sent out interview invitations on Friday but I never got one, does this generally mean I won't be getting an invite? Just wondering if programs typically send invitations on multiple days or is it more of a one time thing...
what i've heard and read were that a lot of programs like to sent out few invites at a time and it takes days-weeks to send out all the invites. this makes sense because they can't send 30 invites on the same day to have everyone reply quickly with an interview day that'll most likely coincide....keep your hopes up! you'll hear from them soon! generally programs still send out interview invites even till late jan

Reactions: 1 users
Have you heard back from any?

I'm in the same boat. Most of my programs deadlines were within that first week of january, and I have not heard anything at all (no invite, reject or waitlist). I know it's still only mid january, just strange to not have one flat out rejection by now at least.

Just got an update from OHSU, they will be sending out their first set of interviews today. They will wait to see which candidates confirm and/or deny and then send out their second set of interview request.

If anyone hears from them today, please update the thread!

Last edited:

I'm in the same boat. Most of my programs deadlines were within that first week of january, and I have not heard anything at all (no invite, reject or waitlist). I know it's still only mid january, just strange to not have one flat out rejection by now at least.

Did you check the google sheet? Have they sent out any invites?

I’m optimistic and like to think that if they haven’t sent me a rejection, that I’m still in the running.

Reactions: 3 users
A couple of them have

I don’t know if you noticed this, but if you click on the 2nd tab of the sheet, last years is there. I was checking it out, and some programs have 2 invite dates listed on there, like a week later. You can even see some programs went as far out to start invites, the 3rd and last week of Jan. I would still hope for the best, because like one poster said, they could be rolling invites.

Got 3 invites so far but 2 rejections from my top choices.. I noticed that if you haven't heard back from programs where interview invites went out already, that's probably a no no

Got 3 invites so far but 2 rejections from my top choices.. I noticed that if you haven't heard back from programs where interview invites went out already, that's probably a no no
Not necessarily. After speaking with several people online as well as residents I know in real life, some programs are still doing rolling invites. Some are inviting in tiers. Some have a “waitlist” that they have not yet contacted in order to see how many people accept.

However, it appears a lot of the large programs send all their acceptances at the same time so in that case— yes its unlikely you will get an invite.

PS... anybody hear from University of Kentucky by chance??? I’m expecting a rejection, but haven’t heard yet so I’m just curious.

Same 3 invites, 2 rejections from my top choice. But one of the rejections said they put me on a waitlist. But it was sent to “undisclosed recipients”.. I could be number 200, so I’m not counting on it. I was very disappointed but at least we got something so far, right?

Last edited:
2 invites out of 12 programs

I applied to 20 programs, 5 rejections so far and 0 invites

Applied to 12, got 4 interviews so far (1 phone), 3 rejections. Waiting on 5.

Something to think about for all applicants: all you need is one program to believe in you.

And I know it’s hard to see this now but whatever the outcome is, just know in your heart that it’s ok and it doesn’t diminish any of your accomplishments or capabilities.

Reactions: 6 users
Phone interview with Valley Medical Center in Renton Washington.

Anyone have any tips for a preliminary phone interview?
Guess this must have went well because I now have an on site interview!

Applied to 14. So far 4 onsite, 2 phone interviews, 1 rejection, rest haven't heard back from yet.

Has anyone heard from centura saint anthony or st joseph in denver?

has anyone heard back from Loyola Medical center and Advocate Christ in IL?

I also suggest everyone occasionally checks their junk folder. Found my last invite in there haha!

Anyone know if residencies typically, or ever do interviews on the weekends? I'm still waiting to hear back from a few programs but I'm trying to make travel arrangements from now

Anyone know if residencies typically, or ever do interviews on the weekends? I'm still waiting to hear back from a few programs but I'm trying to make travel arrangements from now

I have seen some give weekend dates, but very few do. I would suggest waiting till the last week of January to book travel arrangments, since it’s a low season anyway. It might be a little more expensive but canceling already booked flight and hotel tickets for rearrangement purposes is even more expensive. Unless you know when all your interviews are then you’re all set to book, but I wouldn’t suggest doing so before making sure no more interviews are coming your way, and there’s no way to guess the dates. Are programs this slow to reply every year though? I expected more replies mid-january but I guess we’ll wait till end of January for any action.

I got my first interview after 5 rejections! Memorial regional hospital 1/16

Reactions: 1 users
Got rejection from West Virginia University Medicine 1/8 and interview from UPMC Presbyterian 1/10 and waiting list for Johns Hopkins Hospital 1/15

Got rejection from West Virginia University Medicine 1/8 and interview from UPMC Presbyterian 1/10 and waiting list for Johns Hopkins Hospital 1/15
just curious, but would you be able to lmk how long your LOI for Hopkins was? and what date did u submit your application? was it close to the due date?

First 5 programs I hear back from I got an onsite interview (2 of them being reach programs for me) then 6 straight rejections since lol

just curious, but would you be able to lmk how long your LOI for Hopkins was? and what date did u submit your application? was it close to the due date?
My LOI was 1 page. I submitted on 12/28 and I believe that the deadline was 1/1/19.

Last edited:
Question... I was offered an interview to a program about 6 hours away on the 15th. Immediately emailed back with my date preferences. Was offered an interview with a program about an hour from there yesterday. Is it rude to wait to respond to the second until I know when my date is for the first to prevent making that drive first? Or should I just suck it up and not risk it.