PGY-1 Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samisab786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering applying to some PGY-1 programs or clinical fellowship programs and will most likely be attending mid-year as well. I wanted to know a few details about the following:

1. What does it mean if a program is not accredited? I am interested in a few toxicology programs and they are not accredited.

2. A lot of kids from the class before mine got accepted to their residencies of choice but many picked out of state residencies in various and random places and I'm wondering how you really decide which residency is a good fit for you and your needs? I would ideally like to do one within a vicinity close to me (New England, Mid-Atlantic, West Coast) and looking at the programs and on the most part, it seems that the basic curriculum is relatively standard for most. Would mid-year really help me find out what programs might fit my needs best b/c the ASHP directory is overwhelming?

3. Is there a requirement for a type of PGY-1 program to complete if considering a PGY-2 program later on? For example, I found a PGY-1 program that is focused on long-term care in public health- it is listed as a pharmacy residency under the ASHP clinical directory. It has a different curriculum than most PGY-1s I've seen in that it's not just hospital setting but also deals a lot with public health departments.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Accreditation simply means the program meets the minimum requirements set forth by ASHP. What you have to wonder is either why they are not choosing to become accredited or if they attempted to and were denied. Hospital residencies can actually get CMS pass-through funding as an added incentive for accreditation. It's a good idea to ask why they aren't pursuing accreditation.

2. Midyear is a madhouse. If you don't go in with a plan it will be a waste. Research the programs beforehand (which it seems like that is what you are doing) - it can be daunting with all the different programs but you aren't going to learn much from smiling at people at Midyear. Find out what you are interested in and see if that program has a good rotation in that or better yet, they offer a pgy-2 in it. Chances are if they offer pgy-2 training in it they probably have a good preceptor/rotation.

3. I think what you are asking here is if you do a pgy-1 in this long-term health will you be able to get a pgy-2? The answer is - it depends on the program. You are still competing with other candidates for 2nd year spots so if just for example, you are looking for a critical care pgy-2 and someone else did 6 months in ICU settings - you probably don't have a chance.

1. Accreditation simply means the program meets the minimum requirements set forth by ASHP. What you have to wonder is either why they are not choosing to become accredited or if they attempted to and were denied. Hospital residencies can actually get CMS pass-through funding as an added incentive for accreditation. It's a good idea to ask why they aren't pursuing accreditation.

+1

The only other reason a program might not be accredited is that it's a new program, meaning that this year's residents are their first. Once the current residents are done, the program will be fully accredited (unless the RPD screwed up royally).

+1

The only other reason a program might not be accredited is that it's a new program, meaning that this year's residents are their first. Once the current residents are done, the program will be fully accredited (unless the RPD screwed up royally).

I think it is relatively new, that might be the case. It is a clinical toxicology program; I have heard most are not rly accredited but I'm not sure