PGY-1 Supplemental essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StudentPharmacist88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sooo...what's the purpose of supplemental essays? Do programs take them seriously and actually read them? Do they have more weight than the letters of intent? Any input appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

why would you even such a question..its like asking if RPDs read a LOI...of course they do! Who the hell would want to unnecessarily read 20, 30, or 50+ essays, just cause

Reactions: 1 user
First off, they will read every part of your application, it is ALL important.
The supplementals are meant to learn more about you and your interests, but can also tell a lot about your fit for the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a good tool to express yourself and be a bit different too. Honestly, almost everybody looks the same with their crammed CVs and recommendations and letters of intent. I'd take them seriously for sure.

Sooo...what's the purpose of supplemental essays? Do programs take them seriously and actually read them? Do they have more weight than the letters of intent? Any input appreciated!

At my residency program, one interview panel is dedicated to the supplemental submission which consists of a written sample on a pharmacy topic of your choice. Candidates typically bring in a journal club, DI paper, or other written piece of work excerpt. The interview panel pre-reads the submission and then questions the candidate on that submission (what they learned, talking points, why they chose that sample, etc).

Depends on the program. Our program uses it as topics for the interview. I know another program uses it to make sure you know how to write. If you're asking us whether you can take them less seriously than your LOI in terms of proofreading and editing, YMMV.

Most of the programs on the west coast, I applied to didn't require one. Was this the case for most of you?

Most of the programs on the west coast, I applied to didn't require one. Was this the case for most of you?

Same! I'm on the east coast and had no required supplemental essays.

Same! I'm on the east coast and had no required supplemental essays.

For PGY1 I applied to 14 programs all across the country and only had 3-4 supplementals. I only have one for PGY2. It just depends on the program, I think!