PGY-2 in Emergency Med vs Crit care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

choosehapiness

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a P4 and just matched for PGY-1, so obviously I have time to decide on PGY-2, but was hoping to get some opinions on which is more valuable for PGY-2?

Critical care seems more comprehensive with opportunities for lateral growth, but I know that it is very saturated. I am just as interested in emergency med, love the fast-paced setting, and it doesn't seem as saturated for PGY-2, but I am wondering what the job prospects are for an ER PGY-2 trained pharmacist? Would I be too restricted to that field vs being trained in critical care as a whole?

Thanks!
 
I am currently finishing up my PGY2 in emergency medicine and am in the process of looking for a job and there is not much out there. Coming from a large, academic, level 1 trauma center, I'm looking for a busy, level 1 or 2 trauma center. Currently, all I'm finding are positions at community hospitals that are maybe level IV trauma centers that see about 30,000 patient per year (for reference, my hospital sees about 110,000 patients per year). Maybe I'm being too picky but I didn't do a PGY2 to end up in a tiny hospital only seeing 30,000 patients per year. Critical care has the same issue. At least in critical care there is more opportunity in terms of areas you are qualified to work (CCU, MICU, SICU, etc). Both areas are extremely saturated and don't show any signs of improving in the near future. What I have noticed during the job search is that most ED positions have a requirement of a PGY2 in EM or CC and same with some CC jobs (but probably not as many) so just because you pick one doesn't necessarily mean you can't find a job in the other.

What it truly comes down to is what you're passionate about. During your PGY1, you'll realize how different critical care and emergency medicine really are. Go with whichever one you love most. I love being in the ED and can't imagine being a critical care pharmacist so from that stand point I feel like I made the right decision. The pharmacy job market is just tough right now, not matter what area you're going into.
 
I am currently finishing up my PGY2 in emergency medicine and am in the process of looking for a job and there is not much out there. Coming from a large, academic, level 1 trauma center, I'm looking for a busy, level 1 or 2 trauma center. Currently, all I'm finding are positions at community hospitals that are maybe level IV trauma centers that see about 30,000 patient per year (for reference, my hospital sees about 110,000 patients per year). Maybe I'm being too picky but I didn't do a PGY2 to end up in a tiny hospital only seeing 30,000 patients per year. Critical care has the same issue. At least in critical care there is more opportunity in terms of areas you are qualified to work (CCU, MICU, SICU, etc). Both areas are extremely saturated and don't show any signs of improving in the near future. What I have noticed during the job search is that most ED positions have a requirement of a PGY2 in EM or CC and same with some CC jobs (but probably not as many) so just because you pick one doesn't necessarily mean you can't find a job in the other.

What it truly comes down to is what you're passionate about. During your PGY1, you'll realize how different critical care and emergency medicine really are. Go with whichever one you love most. I love being in the ED and can't imagine being a critical care pharmacist so from that stand point I feel like I made the right decision. The pharmacy job market is just tough right now, not matter what area you're going into.

I wouldn't look down upon a hospital just because it's smaller. Even at a community hospital, you still get to see a lot. YOur experienc eis what you make of it. Unless you don't mind being jobless
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CC is very saturated right now. Keep that in mind. I've heard from my ED friends that they aren't interested in taking on someone with a CC residency because they are probably really looking for an ICU position and will leave if they can find one. If you do go for CC, make sure you take at least 2 ED rotations.
 
I wouldn't look down upon a hospital just because it's smaller. Even at a community hospital, you still get to see a lot. YOur experienc eis what you make of it. Unless you don't mind being jobless
I'm not looking down on anyone. I'm just saying I don't want to go to a hospital that only sees a fraction of the patients my hospital currently sees. I also don't want to be somewhere where our sickest patients are transferred because we don't have the resources to care for them. I have nothing against smaller, community hospitals. I actually did my PGY-1 at one. I personally am just more interested in the teaching and learning opportunities available at a larger academic medical center, as are most of the other PGY2s in EM that I know.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile