PGY-2..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

hopefulmatchapplicant

Full Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone felt like they were not prepared for a PGY-2 after a PGY-1? I can't help but feel like I have a passion in the specialty that I would choose for a PGY-2 but I feel like I do not know half of what would be expected of me baseline as a PGY-2 resident. In terms of the knowledge base at least. Debating about whether to pursue a PGY-2 because of this or find a job to acquire more practical, general experience. It's already competitive as it is
 
You should have a good well rounded knowledge base after a pgy1 with direct patient experience to allow you for the specialty of your choice.
 
in addition to a good working knowledge of pharmacy practice, by the end of PGY1 (vs when you apply 6 months in, and interview 7-8 months in- also, I'm assuming 1 of those months was orientation so I don't even count that to be honest), you should have skills necessary to apply professional judgement and critical thinking to hit the ground running once PGY2 starts and be a somewhat more independent and self-motivated learner

Every so often, one of my residents say they want to practice a few years after PGY1 then go back to do a PGY2... which I don't think is realistic. I did my PGY1 after being a staff pharmacist, and THAT transition was hard

Ask yourself what your end goal is. When my residents say "work in a hospital"- at this point during your residency, this isn't specific enough. In what capacity? As a distributive vs decentralized unit-based generalist pharmacist? In a specialty area? (peds, oncology, critical care, transplant?). Specialist with rounding/administrative/ teaching responsibility but less distributive tasks? Management?

Do a PGY2 if:
- you know you want that specialty (and are ok with not touching other areas of practice) and you want to jumpstart/springboard yourself into that specialty, vs going the PGY1+ # of years of experience route.
- you want to go into academia (right after PGY2 or even in the future)
- you have the physical endurance/ stamina to do another year
- you can swing it, financially
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^ yes, I know people who applied to PGY2's in {amb care, geriatrics, internal medicine} and {critical care and ID} in the same application cycle.

I just imagine you would have to be super organized in keeping your letter of recommendations straight, proxying them to the appropriate program without getting them switched.
i.e. if Preceptor A is writing letters for PGY2 in X and PGY2 in Y, that they don't botch up the writing process and recommend you for specialty Y in your PGY2 in X letter... that would be awkward