PGY2 from Program with Pending Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

callmebrie

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

So i was wondering if anybody has any experience with applying for PGY2 while completing a PGY1 that is in the process of getting accredited.

I logged onto PhorCas today and apparently, i would required to upload a bunch of documents, otherwise my account is "suspended".

Reason for being suspended:
  1. Applicant did not complete or is currently not in a PGY1 residency
  2. Applicant completed a residency that is in the ASHP accreditation process
Applicant must provide ALL of the following:
  • US Pharmacy License
  • Proof of having worked a minimum of 3 full years in a pharmacy practice environment
  • Copy of their Curriculum Vitae
  • Completed documention to prove the applicant has met the goals and objectives of a PGY1 program (found at http://www.natmatch.com/ashprmp/pgy1exmp.pdf)
HOw can i have 3 Years of pharmacy experience, if am doing a PGY1 currently? Or basically, if you are a PGY1 in an unaccredited program, I need to have already met the goals and objectives of a PGY1.... I AM FREAKING OUT!! Basically, I need to know what the process is for getting a PGY2 if currently PGY1 program is not accredited.

YES i called Phorcas and the representative was pretty useless. Thanks in advance
 
Lesson to be learned, doing an unaccredited program is a HUGE risk.

It seems pretty clear, at this point you can't do an ASHP PGY2 (maybe you can find an unaccredited PGY2, but I would recommend not doing it, just as I would recommend not doing an unaccredited PGY1.) Otherwise....looks like you will have to get a job for 2 years, so you have the 3 years minimum, and then apply for a PGY2 if you are still interested at that point.
 
Lesson to be learned, doing an unaccredited program is a HUGE risk.

It seems pretty clear, at this point you can't do an ASHP PGY2 (maybe you can find an unaccredited PGY2, but I would recommend not doing it, just as I would recommend not doing an unaccredited PGY1.) Otherwise....looks like you will have to get a job for 2 years, so you have the 3 years minimum, and then apply for a PGY2 if you are still interested at that point.

Nah, it was just a fluke. Even if a Programs in the process of getting accredited, I can still do a PGY2. I somehow missed seeing my program on the list