Pharmacist,no job....work as a tech?!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MIRPh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here' s the situation....RPh(not PharmD), hardly any work experience except some PRN stuff with an independent....Was stay at home mom. Like many here, I have been looking for work desperately ,in vain. Now,I 'm fed up and feel I have tried all avenues. I really need to work to support my family and even $10/hr is better than nothing.
Should I work as a pharm tech, just bcoz it helps me keep in touch, pays something and helps me to be visible in the Co. ,u know in case there may be some future opportunities?

I would appreciate some sincere advice. I know how bad it is for a RPh to work as a tech,but I need to start someplace . An interesting question is- would I even get a tech job?
Help.....
Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

There was a thread about this a few months ago. I mentioned this on my Facebook page, and two other pharmacists replied that they had indeed seen people doing this, and another who said he wouldn't be surprised.

:(

You'd make more working in a restaurant than as a pharmacy technician.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At least as a tech, I will still work in the pharmacy, remain in touch with the field and be visible in the Co. in case of future openings.....Am I making any sense,Notecard? Or is it too far fetched?
What does a pharm tech earn these days?

RPh 3664, I did see those previous posts in the forum...Thanks...It was mentioned that you left the field of your own choice but still have a valid license. May I ask in which area you are working now? I am running out of options,even thought of medical assisting! But even there u need either a certificate or some experience...Never thought it would come to this.

I am more curious to know if I would land a tech job, bcoz I am not comfortable hiding the fact that I am a pharmacist. I like to do things by the book,that's my problem.What say?

You'd make more working in a restaurant than as a pharmacy technician.

Pharm Cashier $10/h
Pharm Tech in CA is making $18/hr minimum retail... Hospital pays $22-25

I am more curious to know if I would land a tech job, bcoz I am not comfortable hiding the fact that I am a pharmacist. I like to do things by the book,that's my problem.What say?

If you don't hide that you are a pharmacist in your resume, you will never get the tech job.

Reactions: 1 user
If you don't hide that you are a pharmacist in your resume, you will never get the tech job.

Why would a pharmacy/hospital hire the OP? The moment she gets a pharmacist job she would leave.
Momus is correct--- like usual.
You will need to forge your resume and/or lie during the interview. Which is grounds for automatic termination in every company when it's found out. Which it will be when someone googles your name and it pops up on the California Pharmacist Registration Verification screen.

Reactions: 1 users
Some states require Techs to get licenses also(not just registered), I am not sure if one can hold both a Pharmacist and Tech license at the same time, or if the company will be informed of both licenses when they check to be sure you are licensed.

I wouldn't prostitue myself. Once they realise you are an RPh they will have you covering when PIC is on lunch, checking when it is busy all for 10 bucks an hour.

Why not teach? Try looking at pharmacy schools and if that doesnt work out maybe just chem or bio

most places are not going to hire a pharmacist to work as a technician, for many reasons. 1, they know they will leave as soon as they can, 2, liability costs, ins for pharmacists is more than for technicians, even if the pharmacist is working as a technician, they would still have to be insured as a pharmacist, 3) too many cooks in the kitchen is always a bad idea--too much potential for conflict, 4) probably several other reasons I'm not thinking of.

The only pharmacist I've ever heard of working as a technician, was one whose license had been lapsed for several years, and the board required they log so many technician hours in order to get their pharmacist license reinstated. The place that hired this person, did so, with full knowledge of the situation & with the understanding that the pharmacist once license would be working for them as a pharmacist.

Have you considered going back to school and doing one of the RPh to PharmD bridge programs? They may have reservations because you have been out of practice for a while.

If I were you, I would look into a teaching job at a local university teaching Pharmacology or at a local / online community (trade) school where you can TEACH several pharmacy tech courses. You can be an Interim instructor.

I was an interim instructor before at a local tech school for the summer and I was paid per class i taught, each day I actually taught it. Essentially, I ended up teaching 3 classes and we met 3 times per week. I was paid approximately $1000 - $1200 per week. :love:

Hope you find something.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you, I would look into a teaching job at a local university teaching Pharmacology or at a local / online community (trade) school where you can TEACH several pharmacy tech courses. You can be an Interim instructor.

I was an interim instructor before at a local tech school for the summer and I was paid per class i taught, each day I actually taught it. Essentially, I ended up teaching 3 classes and we met 3 times per week. I was paid approximately $1000 - $1200 per week. :love:

Hope you find something.

I thought pharmacology require a ph.d?

The only pharmacist I've ever heard of working as a technician, was one whose license had been lapsed for several years, and the board required they log so many technician hours in order to get their pharmacist license reinstated. The place that hired this person, did so, with full knowledge of the situation & with the understanding that the pharmacist once license would be working for them as a pharmacist.

There was a technician at my old job who was a licensed pharmacist in the state where she had previously lived, and she had never gotten a license in our state, where she had previously been a SAHM for something like 11 years. I, and a lot of other people, believed that she'd never gotten a license because her husband wouldn't let her, and we had evidence that he was abusive too. :( Not the kind of abuse where he hit her, but more the kind where he restricted her money, made unreasonable demands regarding housework, that kind of thing.

She was also one of the sloppiest techs I've ever worked with. They never trained her in the IV room, and that's just as well because I would have refused to check anything she made because I wouldn't have trusted her to do it right. I honestly believe that they only reason they kept her on was because her husband was a physician (and yes, they were American).

MIRPh, you deserve more than a $10/hr job. Don't sell yourself short like that. You shouldn't work below a pharmacist and be taken advantage of when you're just as qualified. Maybe apply for a entry level position at a research clinic? Apply to hospitals and see if there are opportunities available, I think hospitals pay more. Or like other suggested maybe see if you can get a teaching position. Hope everything turns out great.

I agree with many of the responses here,that most places would not agree to employ me as a tech . I ' ll look into the teaching opportunity and the research clinic job that was advised. As for the PharmD program, unfortunately,it's not a choice at this juncture in my life. I have neither the time nor the finances .
Either ways,thanks for all your advice. Hopefully ,I'll have something good to report soon.

If you can't get a teaching job, why not just open up another new pharmacy school. It is really easy and there are actually no restrictions on opening one. ;)

So here' s the situation....RPh(not PharmD), hardly any work experience except some PRN stuff with an independent....Was stay at home mom. Like many here, I have been looking for work desperately ,in vain. Now,I 'm fed up and feel I have tried all avenues. I really need to work to support my family and even $10/hr is better than nothing.
Should I work as a pharm tech, just bcoz it helps me keep in touch, pays something and helps me to be visible in the Co. ,u know in case there may be some future opportunities?

I would appreciate some sincere advice. I know how bad it is for a RPh to work as a tech,but I need to start someplace . An interesting question is- would I even get a tech job?
Help.....
Thanks...

Help.....
Thanks...

Hi, MIRPH. I know your post has been around for awhile, I am wondering how you are doing with your job search as a pharmacist (RPh) with minimum experience? Any luck?

Yup, after a lot of time and energy spent searching and searching...Got a part time job at an independent (I prefer part time)...2yrs later ,I'm with the same place & happy for the most part
Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
Good to hear. Congratulations. Thank you for replying. My situation is somewhat like yours was, only worse may be. I am a foreign graduate RPH. I have about eight years of experience as a pharmacy technician in hospital pharmacies in the US but not as a pharmacist in the US (some oversea). I live in Chicago area where within 30 miles radius of where I live there are five pharmacy schools! I have been looking for pharmacist job for about 19 months now. I have had a number of interviews but no job offer. My last interview was just before Thanksgiving last year. Therefore, like you were, I started to entertain the idea of working as a pharmacy technician just to remain active. Early this year I got my second license from a nearby state in an attempt to improve my odd. In any case, congratulations to you. All the best!

Good to hear. Congratulations. Thank you for replying. My situation is somewhat like yours was, only worse may be. I am a foreign graduate RPH. I have about eight years of experience as a pharmacy technician in hospital pharmacies in the US but not as a pharmacist in the US (some oversea). I live in Chicago area where within 30 miles radius of where I live there are five pharmacy schools! I have been looking for pharmacist job for about 19 months now. I have had a number of interviews but no job offer. My last interview was just before Thanksgiving last year. Therefore, like you were, I started to entertain the idea of working as a pharmacy technician just to remain active. Early this year I got my second license from a nearby state in an attempt to improve my odd. In any case, congratulations to you. All the best!

Are you sticking to just the Chicagoland area or have you spread out? I would hope the job market would be better in a smaller city further away, like Springfield. Maybe even a small town. Either way, getting another license will be helpful. Considering you have been 19 months without a pharmacist job, I would take any job I could get in either state. Even if it is in a tiny town.

I agree with you, gwarm01. I have spread out, mostly hospital and LTC though (also some retail), since I am very familiar with hospital practice setting. I am willing to live anywhere within 300 to 400 miles or so, since my husband's job is in the area. Thanks for writing, gwarm01.

Go back to your country

There are US graduates who are having trouble and they have 6 figures in loans

Go back to your country

VeeSee, you brought up a valid issue. While working as a technician at the hospital pharmacies for about eight years, I met and became friends with a large number of pharmacy students. I am fully aware of the frustration of having spent a very large sum of money, time and energy, and then not being able to find opportunity. Thank you for posting.

Go back to your country

She is not going to be able to do anything about your student loans.

If you can't compete with a foreign trained pharmacist, then that is your problem. Man up and do something about it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mu

Last edited:
What about if you are just a pharmacy school grad but did not take your Naplex yet...can you apply as a technician??

Realize that there is an expiration date on your training if you don't use it no matter your chosen "career" or "profession." For pharmacy it just happens to be a lot sooner these days than it was say in the late 90s/early 00s. Delaying licensure examinations is going to harm your career. Being out of work is going to harm your career. These are rather indulgent "decisions" if not made due to health reasons. I would know because I've lived it.

Barring a solid connection that can guarantee you a job the next day, how can you graduate pharmacy school and decide to wait to take NAPLEX until NOW? Every day you are out of work is another day closer to you cutting your losses and finding something else to do

What about if you are just a pharmacy school grad but did not take your Naplex yet...can you apply as a technician??
Clock is ticking. You are "just" a pharm school grad. Last years class has been out for months now and we're hired almost a year ago. I know grads from last year who have been working for 5-6 months now and one just got her own store after floating. You are so behind the 8 ball you aren't even on the table anymore.

Clock is ticking. You are "just" a pharm school grad. Last years class has been out for months now and we're hired almost a year ago. I know grads from last year who have been working for 5-6 months now and one just got her own store after floating. You are so behind the 8 ball you aren't even on the table anymore.

Hey guys, thanks for your responses. I haven't graduated yet. I actually graduate this may but I want to know whether it is worth it to apply for tech jobs as well as pharmacist jobs.

Hey guys, thanks for your responses. I haven't graduated yet. I actually graduate this may but I want to know whether it is worth it to apply for tech jobs as well as pharmacist jobs.

I'm concerned, seeing as you joined SDN in 2006... that was 11 years ago. You joined SDN 6-7 years prior to actually going to Pharmacy school? Seems.... unlikely.

I don't even understand why you'd be asking these questions if you graduate in May, or are even in pharmacy school. You should know that you CANNOT be a technician, you are an intern by law and you'd need to be hired as such (or a graduate intern after May, before passing NAPLEX).

I agree with you, gwarm01. I have spread out, mostly hospital and LTC though (also some retail), since I am very familiar with hospital practice setting. I am willing to live anywhere within 300 to 400 miles or so, since my husband's job is in the area. Thanks for writing, gwarm01.

Do you have a Wisconsin or Indiana license? You might find more options in northwest Indiana or southeast Wisconsin.

I would look into relocating, states like Alaska, Minnesota, or Mississippi have either none or 1 pharmacy school and there is plenty of demand for pharmacists. In this type of saturated market, people must be willing to move to where the jobs are. Rural areas are typically in need everywhere still, my state MN will pay $60,000 in loan forgiveness to those who work in a rural pharmacy for 3 yrs.

I'm concerned, seeing as you joined SDN in 2006... that was 11 years ago. You joined SDN 6-7 years prior to actually going to Pharmacy school? Seems.... unlikely.

I don't even understand why you'd be asking these questions if you graduate in May, or are even in pharmacy school. You should know that you CANNOT be a technician, you are an intern by law and you'd need to be hired as such (or a graduate intern after May, before passing NAPLEX).
Yes I joined at that time. There are pre-pharmacy forums. I am an "older" student.

Yes I joined at that time. There are pre-pharmacy forums. I am an "older" student.

That's fine and all, but I still don't grasp why you'd be asking for a technician job while you are an intern (about to be grad intern). Are you that unconfident in your abilities that you'd rather work as a technician?

That's fine and all, but I still don't grasp why you'd be asking for a technician job while you are an intern (about to be grad intern). Are you that unconfident in your abilities that you'd rather work as a technician?

I hate to say it but yes..I am starting to doubt myself unfortunately. I have had two interview fails in semi metro areas and nearing graduation. I am worried about not having a job and having to pay a ****load of loans. I am beginning to give up hope and it doesn't help that I suffer from depression. Looking for a job and studying with being on rotations is mentally draining me right now...ugh..I cannot even finish typing I'm so depressed now. But thanks for your replies..:hungover:

I hate to say it but yes..I am starting to doubt myself unfortunately. I have had two interview fails in semi metro areas and nearing graduation. I am worried about not having a job and having to pay a ****load of loans. I am beginning to give up hope and it doesn't help that I suffer from depression. Looking for a job and studying with being on rotations is mentally draining me right now...ugh..I cannot even finish typing I'm so depressed now. But thanks for your replies..:hungover:

Relax, there are a lot of people in your exact shoes, you're not the only one. Did you get any work experience while in pharmacy school? (not ippe/appe stuff, actual employment at a pharmacy)

Sorry to hear about your situation. Are you taking care of yourself physically and mentally? Exercising 5x a week at minimum and eating correctly? That will help boost your confidence, make you feel better, increase BDNF and can improve studying/memory retention.

Last edited:
Thank you pharmdpro

Nope no internship in school although I tried..and something tells me I never got hired because I am simply not hirable...people might think I am a basket case because of my depression and anxiety...and I am a bit older.
I know there are some other students in my position and I do realize I need to stay physically and mentally strong through this. I am feeling like there has been a death in my family..that is how hard this is hitting me right now..I am trying to stay fit..eating right is pretty hard since I am on a budget. I probably really need a shrink more than I do a pharmacy job right now.

Thank u for the messages. I will take your advice on keeping fit and eating healthy..every little bit helps

Thank you pharmdpro

Nope no internship in school although I tried..and something tells me I never got hired because I am simply not hirable...people might think I am a basket case because of my depression and anxiety...and I am a bit older.
I know there are some other students in my position and I do realize I need to stay physically and mentally strong through this. I am feeling like there has been a death in my family..that is how hard this is hitting me right now..I am trying to stay fit..eating right is pretty hard since I am on a budget. I probably really need a shrink more than I do a pharmacy job right now.

Thank u for the messages. I will take your advice on keeping fit and eating healthy..every little bit helps

Why consider yourself not hirable? No one is going to know you have depression or anxiety just by looking at you. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

I budget very strictly and I'm able to eat healthily, it's a lot easier than most think and much cheaper than eating out. Cooking chicken/veggies/rice or beef, is easy and cheap.

I had a death in my family a week before my first rotation in June... you have to overcome things to succeed. You can overcome depression. Go see your PCP and get on an SSRI if you need to dude, it sounds like you already know that you need to do that.

I'm turning 39 this summer and already on an SSRI for years and years. Sorry to be whiny but a lot has hit me this week-guilt is adding to the depression. I missed out on a job fair at my school where many students landed positions. Why didnt I go? no real excuse....I didnt feel up to it...I was extremely non-confident in my abilities to land a job.

I will say reading some of the posts on this forum is very therapeutic. I havent gone to a shrink because I havent needed one since I've been hella busy with school, but when unemployed with free time, depression/anxiety can become debilitating. I really think there should be a forum devoted to depressed pharmacy students. Its likely to increase in years to come and I think its going to be a new epidemic especially with increasing competition.

My plan is to find some work SOMEWHERE/ANYWHERE/DOING ANYTHING while looking for a full time pharmacist job and studying for naplex. I plan to take it in July.

Also, I really have been researching your reply about graduated pharmacy students being an "intern by law". Do you know if this is state law or federal??? I have looked everywhere to educate myself on these policies since I really never researched/learned this is school. Any info you have on that would be helpful...

Also, I really have been researching your reply about graduated pharmacy students being an "intern by law". Do you know if this is state law or federal??? I have looked everywhere to educate myself on these policies since I really never researched/learned this is school. Any info you have on that would be helpful...

This is under state law, not federal. Most states will not allow interns to work as technicians...but you need to check with your state. In IL, there is no legal classification of interns, there are just licensed technicians and pharmacists, and one can not hold a license for both.....so if you don't have a pharmacist license yet, then you could continue working as a technician. But why? As others have said, pass the NAPLEX ASAP and get licensed. Every job application will ask for your education background, and no one is going to hire a technician who graduated from pharmacy school.

If you've been out of school for that long you might want to seriously consider getting your PharmD, assuming such a program exists in which you wouldn't have to spend 4 years in school and could just do it in a year or something. Not sure if that's actually possible/something that exists though. That way employers aren't as scared away by your extreme gap in employment.

If you've been out of school for that long you might want to seriously consider getting your PharmD, assuming such a program exists in which you wouldn't have to spend 4 years in school and could just do it in a year or something. Not sure if that's actually possible/something that exists though. That way employers aren't as scared away by your extreme gap in employment.

He graduates in May, guys. Read a few posts up to get full context.

I would take NAPLEX earlier than July. I was in the same boat. You will probably have to put more work in to get a job including multiple licensure. Life isn't fair.