pharmacology question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jonathan13180

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im potentially interested in applying to graduate school for pharmacology-namely cancer therapeutics. Does anyone out there know of any good programs? Also, the main problem i have is dealing with the classes you have to take-are they all chemistry based? Im not very good with chem, im a bio man myself.
Any advise you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Jonathan13180 said:
Im potentially interested in applying to graduate school for pharmacology-namely cancer therapeutics. Does anyone out there know of any good programs? Also, the main problem i have is dealing with the classes you have to take-are they all chemistry based? Im not very good with chem, im a bio man myself.
Any advise you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The University of Rochester was ranked 12 or 13 in this discipline a couple of years ago. Johns Hopkins is very strong in cancer biology. Vanderbilt is also a very good program.

Friendly said:
The University of Rochester was ranked 12 or 13 in this discipline a couple of years ago. Johns Hopkins is very strong in cancer biology. Vanderbilt is also a very good program.

Yes, they have good programs, as does Cornell in NYC, and the program conducted by M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX in conjuction with Univ. of Texas.

As far as coursework having an emphasis on chemistry knowledge, there is PLENTY of that (hell, when you study proteins and small molecules, they ARE chemicals too). Having a good grasp of chemistry is important in many ways, especially if you get involved with a program looking at novel drug design to inhibit or inactivate specific signalling pathways involving kinases, membrane receptors, etc. Also, good kinetics knowledge is a huge benefit as well. I would make sure that you have had a solid undergrad experience in general chem, biochemistry, and organic chemistry. You will take some additional biochem coursework in grad school, but the undergrad exposure will be helpful.