pharmacy or physical therapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ramenoodles

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused between these two fields.

Physical Therapy
pros: I like how interactive it is and how your physically working to help reduce the pain of a patient. I am an active person so I feel I will enjoy that. I also like how you're not looking at a screen all day. To me, the PT environment seems more people friendly.

Cons: pays less than pharmacy and requires the same amount of studying and I am not sure if hours are flexible.

Pharmacy
pros: flexible hours and pay is nice. Working as a floater is convenient.

cons: I worked as a pharm tech at a retail store before and I personally did't like the stressful environment, counting pills was draining and sometimes customers treat u like a slave while u perform 50 tasks at once.

Also, which one is more competitive and saturated?

Members don't see this ad.

Pharmacy
pros: flexible hours and pay is nice. Working as a floater is convenient.

Also, which one is more competitive and saturated?
If by “flexible hours” you mean working different hour shifts that vary on both weekdays and weekends week-to-week without you having any say because you’re only guaranteed 24-32 hours for a full time position, then yes, I guess you can consider the hours flexible.

If by “working as a floater is nice” you mean commuting 100 miles for a 4 hour shift at a different store each day is nice, then I guess you can consider being a floater a good gig.

If by “pay is nice” you mean that pharmacists make $60/hour but most can only get 24 hours per week due to the saturation making their annual salary <$80k with no benefits then I guess you can consider it a good paying job.

All you need to get into pharmacy school is a pulse and eligibility to take out $200k+ in student loans so I’ll let you figure out which profession is more competitive and more saturated for yourself.

Reactions: 1 users
You need to know the daily routines of a PT. As for pharmacy: if you worked as a tech and didn’t enjoy it, you can nearly correlate the thought that you won’t be happy as a pharmacist.

Pharmacy is good pay IF you can get the hours. Saturation is real and tuition cost is high. Having worked a job with the best health benefits and a small pension to my name I’ll say this: it’s not worth the grief and time-loss to do anything just for high pay. Have some interest and learn to grow that interest. If you can keep costs down and willing to work in any state away from metro areas then I’d say go for pharmacy. If your bound by a few states with high tuition look elsewhere.