Pharmacy Outlook is not gloomy!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Huh???

I'm trying to track down your logic here. You're saying that because of this earthquake and the subsequent tsunami, people in Japan are now serious about the malarkey of "2012"... or something?

I'm talking about you. You can't be serious in being persuaded by an earthquake that anything world-ending is going to occur precisely on December 21st of next year. That just makes absolutely no sense and as an empiricist, you oughta be ashamed.

The Microsoft calendar ends on December 31st, 2099 - Does that mean that Bill Gates is predicting the end of the world? C'mon.

But at least I have a reason to believe there is a possibility of the destruction of the world in 2012. It may or may not happen, still there is a chance. It does not matter if Microsoft is still running, when the world ends Microsoft will also end.

But that is not my point in the original post. My point is stop worrying about future of pharmacy and start living your life NOW:laugh:.

Members don't see this ad.

But at least I have a reason to believe there is a possibility of the destruction of the world in 2012. It may or may not happen, still there is a chance. It does not matter if Microsoft is still running, when the world ends Microsoft will also end.

Ok, since you're probably trolling and I'm bored anyway, let me have a go at this again.

You're basing your idea of the end of world no doubt on the Mayan long count calendar bullhockey. OK, the Mayans ran out of room on their tablet or whatever, and ended their calendar on what we know is December 21st, 2012, and because of this, you think that the world will end.

Microsoft has their calendar end on Dec 31, 2099... much the same way the Mayans ended their calendar, MS chose to end their calendar at 2099. Is that a harbinger of doom? There is as much proof for that heralding the end of the world as their is in phoney claims of Mayan prophecy of the end of times.

Anderson Cooper went to the last bastion of Mayan civilization and asked a Mayan cleric what the calendar crap meant and he said just that: They ran out of room in the long count. It means nothing.

If you believe in this crap, I have a bridge to sell you in Manhattan. Since you won't need money, after all...

But that is not my point in the original post. My point is stop worrying about future of pharmacy and start living your life NOW:laugh:.

Oh, right, so I guess you can change your status to "unemployed and not in school" and go rob banks? I mean, what do you define "living your life" as doing? If you mean stop worrying and just continue doing what you're doing, (i.e., going to school for what you want to do) then ok, I'm on board.

Oh also,

http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/may21/

Might as well sign up for that one too with your weak mind.

Ok, since you're probably trolling and I'm bored anyway, let me have a go at this again.

You're basing your idea of the end of world no doubt on the Mayan long count calendar bullhockey. OK, the Mayans ran out of room on their tablet or whatever, and ended their calendar on what we know is December 21st, 2012, and because of this, you think that the world will end.

Microsoft has their calendar end on Dec 31, 2099... much the same way the Mayans ended their calendar, MS chose to end their calendar at 2099. Is that a harbinger of doom? There is as much proof for that heralding the end of the world as their is in phoney claims of Mayan prophecy of the end of times.

Anderson Cooper went to the last bastion of Mayan civilization and asked a Mayan cleric what the calendar crap meant and he said just that: They ran out of room in the long count. It means nothing.

If you believe in this crap, I have a bridge to sell you in Manhattan. Since you won't need money, after all...

Oh, right, so I guess you can change your status to "unemployed and not in school" and go rob banks? I mean, what do you define "living your life" as doing? If you mean stop worrying and just continue doing what you're doing, (i.e., going to school for what you want to do) then ok, I'm on board.

Oh also,

http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/may21/

Might as well sign up for that one too with your weak mind.
Thanks for your long reply, but who told you that I look at mayan calender?

In fact, I am looking at the prophesy of Jesus Christ in the bible.:laugh: If you do not agree with me because of my credential, but should you believe in the Bible?

Members don't see this ad :)

In fact, I am looking at the prophesy of Jesus Christ in the bible.:laugh: If you do not agree with me because of my credential, but should you believe in the Bible?

Well you're wrong! Because the Bible is quite clear or something, that it'll be May 21st for the ascension to heaven and then everyone who is left on this rock will be dead on October 21st.

I don't believe in any of that bologna just like I stopped believing in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

Let us get back on topic. If you want to continue this, let's go to O/T.

Well you're wrong! Because the Bible is quite clear or something, that it'll be May 21st for the ascension to heaven and then everyone who is left on this rock will be dead on October 21st.

I don't believe in any of that bologna just like I stopped believing in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy.

Let us get back on topic. If you want to continue this, let's go to O/T.

One thing I know about japanese people is that they do not believe just as you. Does it matter in the end? What happened to them last week was strikingly surprised. While typing you this reply message, an earthquake. Really, you have no control over your life. Everyday you drive the car, you can die from an accident. So people should stop worrying about tomorrow, and start doing what you are supposed to do now.

One thing I know about japanese people is that they do not believe just as you. Does it matter in the end? What happened to them last week was strikingly surprised. While typing you this reply message, an earthquake. Really, you have no control over your life. Everyday you drive the car, you can die from an accident. So people should stop worrying about tomorrow, and start doing what you are supposed to do now.

I want to continue this conversation but it belongs in O/T.

Well, I hope all of your negative comments stop people from attending school, at least for the next four years. Then hopefully the job market will be better.

I think some of you are little naive, but others are just not creative. The drug market is at an all time high and is only going to be getting bigger. A Pharmd degree "should" mean that you have excellent training in how all of these chemicals effect the body and hopefully a few of you can use that education to either start a business or find a field that you can do some good.

Yes, the days of going to work at Walgreens and getting paid 120k a year might be over but "who cares", there are and will be plenty of jobs available for those who can think outside the box and use their education.

If all else fails, get a bunch of your classmates and open another pharmacy school.

Excuse me! There is NO future for pharmacy Let's me repeat: THERE IS NO FUTURE FOR PHARMACY.

What happened to japan lately is pretty much an indication of the END OF THE WORLD in 2012. Now, let's face the fact, you never know what will happen to you, so stop WORRYING and start LIVING.

I'm not sure which is funnier... the original statement or the ridiculous efforts to defend it.

Hasn't SHC .. never worked at a pharmacy before? Or something of that nature.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to continue this conversation but it belongs in O/T.

Do not try to reason with 5minutes... very insane religous nut. Plus he/she doesn't know english very well. He/she will probably end up joining Fred Phelp's church.

Do not try to reason with 5minutes... very insane religous nut. Plus he/she doesn't know english very well. He/she will probably end up joining Fred Phelp's church.

Wow, you can't argue with people, then you start to call people by name, and by their language. I am glad I got in pharmacy school even though my english is not as good as people who live here. That proves that people can succeed in many different ways.:smuggrin:

Do you know how many generations have been saying that the end of the world is coming in their lifetime. Please be realistic

Do you know how many generations have been saying that the end of the world is coming in their lifetime. Please be realistic

Because of many generations passed that the end of the world has not happened yet, we are getting closer to that day. I am sure you will be surprised that it is near you than ever before. I am being very realistic. Don't come back and scream at me for not warning you if that happens to one of you in this forum.

A list of things better to do than continue this:
1) Watch Judge Judy or RoboCop 1-3
2) Play Words W/ Friends
3) Take dog for walk...in haunted lagoon and find the real Swamp Thing or Big Foot
4) Coprophagy
5) Pants Off Dance Off

The world is not over and neither is our pharmacy future.

A list of things better to do than continue this:
1) Watch Judge Judy or RoboCop 1-3
2) Play Words W/ Friends
3) Take dog for walk...in haunted lagoon and find the real Swamp Thing or Big Foot
4) Coprophagy
5) Pants Off Dance Off

The world is not over and neither is our pharmacy future.

Post of the week?

Post of the week. :nod:

Have you guys tired looking at craiglist briefly...? the job market doesn't look too bad especially for a major city like NY...certainly its not as abundant as before but it is there if you really look..

I found like over 20 jobs in my area thats hiring either a part time or full time pharmacist. If you have the qualifications then you should have no problem getting a job.

Mar 17 - Part Time Pharmacist Wanted: - (Forest Hills) healthcare

Mar 16 - Pharmacy Technician Position Available - Floating Pharmacists as well! - (Bronx 2 , 5 Train Allerton Ave) healthcare

Mar 16 - Relief Pharmacist - (Staten Island) healthcare

Mar 16 - **FULL-TIME SUPERVISING PHARMACIST WANTED - EXCITING OPPORTUNITY** - (Bronx, NY) healthcare

Mar 15 - Looking for a P/T F/T Pharmacist - (Brooklyn, NY) healthcare

Mar 14 - Pharmacist P/T - (TriBeCa) healthcare

Mar 14 - supervising pharmacist - (williamsburg bklyn) healthcare

Mar 12 - Pharmacist Wanted - Part Time - (Howard Beach) healthcare

Mar 11 - PT or FT Pharmacist - healthcare

Mar 11 - Looking for a P/T F/T Pharmacist - (Brooklyn, NY) healthcare

Mar 11 - PHARMACIST NEEDE!! - (RIDGEWOOD, NY) healthcare

Mar 10 - Physical Therapist and Pharmacist - (Queens and Bronx) healthcare

Mar 10 - Pharmacist/Part Time - (Northern Westchester) healthcare

Mar 9 - Pharmacist/Compounding - (Stamford Ct) healthcare

Mar 9 - PHARMACIST P/T - healthcare

Mar 9 - FULL TIME PHARMACIST - healthcare

Mar 8 - Pharmacist - (North Bronx) healthcare

Mar 8 - Pharmacist - (North Bronx) retail/wholesale

Mar 8 - Friendly Pharmacist Needed - (brooklyn and bronx) retail/wholesale

Mar 7 - Supervising Pharmacist needed - (uptown) healthcare

Mar 7 - Pharmacist Part time - (Midtown Manhattan ) healthcare

Mar 7 - PHARMACIST P/T - (Upper East Side) healthcare

Mar 5 - Pharmacist P/T - (Bronx) healthcare

Mar 3 - Supervising Pharmacist - (Jackson Heights, NY) healthcare

The argument goes that by the time those jobs are posted on C-L or other sites, they're either already filled, or not seriously being considered anyway.

I agree with you, though. People are just being overly negative.

The argument goes that by the time those jobs are posted on C-L or other sites, they're either already filled, or not seriously being considered anyway.

I agree with you, though. People are just being overly negative.

Word, PSci!

The cynic in me believes that all of this doom and gloom regarding pharmacy is to scare away future applicants from competing for positions and whatnot. Competition is going to increase regardless of additional applicants pursuing the field, school saturation, etc. I don't know of many careers where merely graduating entitles you to a job, professional school or not. I went to graduate school for Chemistry and PhD's are having to fight for positions in pharma, education, etc. A degree does guarantee you anything.

Furthermore, If you are pursing pharmacy school because you want to make money, (1) you're a tool and will be disappointed if the career is as doom and gloom as people say and (2) there are many easier careers where you could get that monetary success.

It may come as a shock to some naysayers, but some people GENUINELY want to pursue a career in pharmacy, regardless of the "limited" job prospects, falling incomes, increased competition, etc. I have worked in pharmaceutical R&D for 3+ years, I miss working in healthcare, and I'm going to attend pharmacy school regardless. When I finish pharm school, there will be at least one person entering the job market who is going to try to take your job.

The rampant sense of entitlement is nauseating and I wish that some of the pharmacy doomsayers would have had real world work experience prior to pharmacy school; Then, you'd realize what competing for a position is all about. In my opinion, there would be less kvetching about having to move to a "podunk town" to pursue their career. Having a PharmD doesn't entitle you to ANYTHING other than a pretty degree to hang on your wall or an expensive piece of toilet paper.

Word, PSci!

The cynic in me believes that all of this doom and gloom regarding pharmacy is to scare away future applicants from competing for positions and whatnot. Competition is going to increase regardless of additional applicants pursuing http://edge.studentdoctor.net/images/smilies/thumbup.gifthe field, school saturation, etc. I don't know of many careers where merely graduating entitles you to a job, professional school or not. I went to graduate school for Chemistry and PhD's are having to fight for positions in pharma, education, etc. A degree does guarantee you anything.

Furthermore, If you are pursing pharmacy school because you want to make money, (1) you're a tool and will be disappointed if the career is as doom and gloom as people say and (2) there are many easier careers where you could get that monetary success.

It may come as a shock to some naysayers, but some people GENUINELY want to pursue a career in pharmacy, regardless of the "limited" job prospects, falling incomes, increased competition, etc. I have worked in pharmaceutical R&D for 3+ years, I miss working in healthcare, and I'm going to attend pharmacy school regardless. When I finish pharm school, there will be at least one person entering the job market who is going to try to take your job.

The rampant sense of entitlement is nauseating and I wish that some of the pharmacy doomsayers would have had real world work experience prior to pharmacy school; Then, you'd realize what competing for a position is all about. In my opinion, there would be less kvetching about having to move to a "podunk town" to pursue their career. Having a PharmD doesn't entitle you to ANYTHING other than a pretty degree to hang on your wall or an expensive piece of toilet paper.

Are you even in pharmacy school?

No point in arguing about it ... if you want to go to pharmacy school then go do it. Pharmacy students typically don't know how to network, write a cover letter, make a good resume, interview well, etc. so it is doom and gloom for those types of students. If you know how to do the above, then more power to ya.

No point in arguing about it ... if you want to go to pharmacy school then go do it. Pharmacy students typically don't know how to network, write a cover letter, make a good resume, interview well, etc. so it is doom and gloom for those types of students. If you know how to do the above, then more power to ya.
When you said pharmacy students don't know how to network, do you mean only you? or do you represent your friends' opinion?

I think unless you are in pharmacy school, you wouldn't understand this doom and gloom. That is my point.

Actually, some people in pharmacy school might be too busy to spend time reading about doom and gloom. I think those students would be busy focusing on their studying and getting through rotations.

Actually, some people in pharmacy school might be too busy to spend time reading about doom and gloom. I think those students would be busy focusing on their studying and getting through rotations.
Not P3 or P4 people who are going to graduate soon. It may be true for P1 and P2, but I notice an increasing fear among my friends. Even some of the faculties are talking about it. I have one professor explicitly said that we need to move in order to get a job. But that is not a guarantee.

I think unless you are in pharmacy school, you would understand these doom and gloom. That is my point.

It's not a very good point. I think even pre pharmers are perfectly capable of understanding what is going on within the profession. Perhaps they are not as fearful as a jobless P4, but it is pretty clear that the profession is facing some challenges right now.

Not P3 or P4 people who are going to graduate soon. It may be true for P1 and P2, but I notice an increasing fear among my friends. Even some of the faculties are talking about it. I have one professor explicitly said that we need to move in order to get a job. But that is not a guarantee.

So having to move to a different city to find a job is enough to cause the fear?

Just because you don't want to commute, you're saying there are no jobs?

It's not a very good point. I think even pre pharmers are perfectly capable of understanding what is going on within the profession. Perhaps they are not as fearful as a jobless P4, but it is pretty clear that the profession is facing some challenges right now.

I do not personally think pre pharmers have a perfect understanding what is going about this profession. For I myself do not even know everything about this profession. But as far as this threat goes, it is quite clear that some of us are going to face real challenges upon graduating.

I do not personally think pre pharmers have a perfect understanding what is going about this profession. For I myself do not even know everything about this profession. But as far as this threat goes, it is quite clear that some of us are going to face real challenges upon graduating.

What about the pre-pharmers who work in pharmacies with interns and talk to them about pharmacy school? Wouldn't they have a good enough understanding?

I have one professor explicitly said that we need to move in order to get a job. But that is not a guarantee.
This is the norm after finishing most degrees. Why should pharmacy be any different? You're never guaranteed a job, unless you live in a communist country.

They may or may not, but not a perfect understanding as you mentioned.:laugh:

You also said that you do not have a perfect understanding either. You also admitted that you don't know everything about the profession. So if a pre-pharmacy student knows something that you don't, that student must be wrong because he/she is not in pharmacy school, right? I mean, you made it sound like people wouldn't understand the doom and gloom unless they were in pharmacy school.

You also said that you do not have a perfect understanding either. You also admitted that you don't know everything about the profession. So if a pre-pharmacy student knows something that you don't, that student must be wrong because he/she is not in pharmacy school, right? I mean, you made it sound like people wouldn't understand the doom and gloom unless they were in pharmacy school.

That is my point that I do not even know all about pharmacy, so do you. That does not mean I always know more than pre pharmers in every single area.

I think only if a person owns >$120k, he or she will not really understand what it is meant to feel "doom and gloom" in this particular issue. To make my point I give you an example, you can know about honey "taste sweet" by reading the book. You can have a Ph.D about it, but you only really know how sweet it is until you taste it yourself.

Oh thanks for the link. I wonder is it up-to-date list? Hopefully it is. I saw the post date is Jan, 2011 but I'm not sure about the list.

But then what happened to the list on CNN? Last time I checked it, "pharmacist" is on #13....:confused: and now it disappeared on the list of 100!!!

It must just be an oversight. According to the data, pharmacist should be on that list.

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos079.htm#projections_data

17% growth, ok, so that's in line with jobs currently on their top list.

Now let's look at salary?

They used PayScale.com & BLS so I will too:

Retail Pharmacist
Salary:$92,643 - $116,879
Growth: 17% (2008-2018)

Software Architect
Salary: $86,164 - $119,795
Growth: 34% (For a "Computer Software Engineer, Applications")

So they took the highest % and just said, "Software architect", but the entire field of "Computer software engineer" (As there is no such thing on BLS as software architect") is 21%... Barely above pharmacist.

For fun, let's look at one more comparable to Pharmacist and a bit further down the list:

Primary Care Physician
Salary: $117,558 - $159,989
Growth: 20%

OK... so primary care physician is basically right behind 21% for computer software engineers (not just their specific "applications" thing) and their salary is much higher... So this leads me to believe there was basically no rhyme or reason to how that stupid list is organized. It isn't by salary, and it isn't by growth, otherwise PCP would be much, much higher.

In general, the Yahoo! and CNN Money articles are snake oil and just published to take up space / get hits. I don't think they actually give any useful information to anyone.

I thought, hey maybe they're taking number of years in school / residency / specialty and dividing it by some combination of salary and growth, but not only would that be a useless equation, it would be highly misleading. I mean, look at nurse anesthetist. That's not exactly a job you just nab right out of nursing school. That takes years of certifications, experience and such to get... Perhaps as long as a primary care physician.

So, in closing I'd just like to reiterate that CNN Money/Yahoo! career articles are full of garbage and should be taken as entertainment value only (like those psychic hotlines).

My 2 cents, as someone not in the medical field: It is hard for everyone to find a job right now. I can not believe that there is anyone who thinks that they should expect a job upon graduation. The few opening that are out there are like any other job... The market all around is bad. Some areas are worse than others. The openings go to the most qualified.

To all you sheltered students :prof:: Think the world is made of rainbows and lollipops? Welcome to reality. There is no field without risk. Anyone of you could end up making over 100k with hardly any experience. That is next to impossible in the real world. Count your blessing if you find said job, and do not be surprised if there are a lot of people who think that sounds like a cool job.

Everyone does not know what the future holds... since Washington is having a hard time making up its mind, that is doublely true with pharmacy.

My 2 cents, as someone not in the medical field: It is hard for everyone to find a job right now. I can not believe that there is anyone who thinks that they should expect a job upon graduation. The few opening that are out there are like any other job... The market all around is bad. Some areas are worse than others. The openings go to the most qualified.

To all you sheltered students :prof:: Think the world is made of rainbows and lollipops? Welcome to reality. There is no field without risk. Anyone of you could end up making over 100k with hardly any experience. That is next to impossible in the real world. Count your blessing if you find said job, and do not be surprised if there are a lot of people who think that sounds like a cool job.

Everyone does not know what the future holds... since Washington is having a hard time making up its mind, that is doublely true with pharmacy.

Are you even in pharmacy school? :smuggrin:

Completely agree with your post!

Are you even in pharmacy school? :smuggrin:

Completely agree with your post!

I am my wife's proxy. She is going to UCSD in the fall. She does not like to post.
---edit---

read the "Are you even in pharmacy school?" now i get the joke.

Last edited:

I mostly agree with the intent of your post, but pharmacy is different from most fields because of the massive debt most people take on to get into it. I don't think that means everyone should be guaranteed a job, but very few would go into pharmacy if they didn't have a reasonable expectation they'd be able to repay that debt.

I mostly agree with the intent of your post, but pharmacy is different from most fields because of the massive debt most people take on to get into it. I don't think that means everyone should be guaranteed a job, but very few would go into pharmacy if they didn't have a reasonable expectation they'd be able to repay that debt.
We all take risks. Everyone here looks at the options they have. More important than the debt is the years of your life that you invest... what is 8+ years worth? My real point is, everyone is having a hard time with jobs. This field is no exception. Pharmacists are not the only graduates having a hard time finding jobs. That does not mean the end of the profession.

I work for ACS. We are a contractor of the DOE's direct loans program. We process people who are in repayment. I'm not on the phones, I do the IT work. I do not have direct stories, but trust me; there are other professions out there that can not pay back loans.

degree does not equal employment anymore.

We all take risks. Everyone here looks at the options they have. More important than the debt is the years of your life that you invest... what is 8+ years worth? My real point is, everyone is having a hard time with jobs. This field is no exception. Pharmacists are not the only graduates having a hard time finding jobs. That does not mean the end of the profession.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with your main point that everyone is struggling to find jobs, but most people aren't making a 6 figure bet on their career upfront either. If I didn't feel like there was an excellent chance I'll have a job when I finish school, there's no way I make that investment in a PharmD. If my chances of getting a pharmacist position after school are only 50/50, there's a 50/50 chance I'm committing financial suicide. Somebody graduating with a bachelor's in business or underwater basket weaving or whatever can take a 40K job and have a reasonable expectation of paying off what little undergrad debt they're likely to have sometime before they die.