This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jayy17

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am currently a college freshman and have had interests in becoming a pharmacist for the past two years now. Currently I have shadowed clinical pharmacists and a few retail pharmacists. The job seems so interesting. I now have a few questions

1. Will pharmacy be still too saturated by the time I become eligible to practice?

2. Is the pharmacy scope of practice going to become more widespread (mid-level providers)?

3. What is the pharmacist quality of life?

4. Is it possible for a pharmacist to make $150k anymore? How suitable is the salary given the amount of debt? (Understandably I won’t be a millionaire but I’d like to make a good amount & 150k seems pretty suitable.)

5. What are your thoughts on pursuing a Pharm.D/MBA?

6. Can you briefly describe a day in the life of a pharmacist relative to your specific position?

7. What are good specialties of pharmacy that I could look into to see if they interest me? How do you feel about residency?

8. Could you provide me with what you starting salary offers looked like if you don’t mind sharing.

P.S. I genuinely want to know so no bashing & speak to me in a less than respectful manner nor respond if you don’t want to provide genuine and honest answers to my questions.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Most definitely

2. No

3. 14 hours on your feet with no breaks, dealing with corporate metrics, getting verbally abused by crazy customers

4. Possible but not very likely. In fact, I would not be surprised if salaries drop with the intense saturation. It's definitely not worth the investment in terms of time and loans to pursue pharmacy.

7. In reality, these jobs are rare and everyone wants them, hence they are called "unicorn" jobs. Keep in mind that regardless of your interest, the vast majority of pharmacists end up in retail.

You seem like you're going more for quality of life, pay, and job stability. I would choose computer science or engineering instead for these, especially since many of these jobs pay six figures, do not require you to stand on your feet for 14 hours and deal with the general public, are less saturated, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend another 4 years of your life in school.

I hope you did not choose to continue with this. I graduated in 1996 and back then it was a great idea. Now let me tell you a few pointers:
Under No circumstance should you work retail for longer than 2 years. You must work in a hospital or long term care facility. Honestly now you should go to a PBM pharmacy. Get and maintain a few other state licensures. Keep up with the changing demands of the profession. For God's sake, you might as well just go to medical school these days. This profession has ruined itself! There is a complete OVER abundance of pharmacists in this country. The schools keep pumping out more and more when there are no jobs for those that have licenses. If that's not enough, you are going to find yourself competing for a job with a ton of H1b visa holders.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If that's not enough, you are going to find yourself competing for a job with a ton of H1b visa holders.

There are no H1B pharmacists anymore. Everything else you said is true.

1. Will pharmacy be still too saturated by the time I become eligible to practice?

Pharmacy is already saturated, and EXTREMELY saturated in the major cities where 90% of people want to work. Only you can know if this is "too" saturated for you.
2. Is the pharmacy scope of practice going to become more widespread (mid-level providers)?

No. Pharmacy missed that boat. NP's have taken all the pie, there is none left for pharmacy.

It depends on what you consider "quality of life"? 99% of pharmacists will work evenings and/or weekends. I'm fine with that, but obviously, some people would find that a detrimental "quality of life." Expect to spend 12 -14 hours on your feet if you work retail, or 8 - 10 hours sitting if you work hospital.....both settings have different, but real health risks. Both hospital and retail are stressful, although in different ways...retail tends to be a chronic, moderate-level stress, while hospital tends to be a chronic base-line level of stress punctuated with occasional extremely high levels of stress. Some people are fine with this, other's find the stress extremely detrimental to their life.
4. Is it possible for a pharmacist to make $150k anymore? How suitable is the salary given the amount of debt? (Understandably I won’t be a millionaire but I’d like to make a good amount & 150k seems pretty suitable.)

Not as a regular pharmacist. You would have to get into management to get that sort of salary....and management is a whole different level of stress.

Bad idea. MBA's in and of themselves, are as worthless as JD's (which if you don't know, are pretty worthless.) Where MBA's become valuable, is in networking during the process of getting them. Networking with other pharmacy students working on a PharmD/MBA is pretty close to worthless. Get your PharmD first....and then later if you feel so inclined, get your MBA.
6. Can you briefly describe a day in the life of a pharmacist relative to your specific position?

Hospital--you will sit all day and check order entry on the computer (correctness, DUR's, appropriateness of therapy, etc.) (or if you are in some extremely rural hospital, maybe type in the orders yourself), check IV's/TPN's/manual unit dosing that the technicians have made, maybe check some state other stat orders. Depending on how the hospital is set up, you may check crash carts/omnicell/pyxis as well, but probably not. Maybe in an extremely rural hospital you might still check daily carts. Sign out narcotics for your technicians to deliver. Occasionally (but not every day), go to some mandatory hospital meeting or committee....or do some report or research requested by your director who is going to such mandatory meeting or committee. Constantly going on in the background will be technicians bickering over who does the most work and which pharmacists don't help them enough, as well as nurses calling complaining that they can't find a med in the Omnicell/Pyxis, or that they never received an IV, even though they had signed for it (and when you send a tech up to look for it, the tech will find it sitting immediately outside of the lock box it's supposed to be in, and then the nurse will accuse the tech of having just brought it up. Also, constantly going on in the background, are workplace politics. You might think you had an uneventful day, but the technicians, other pharmacists, managers, nurses, hospital support personal will all be talking about you after you leave (just the same as you were talking about all the people who were off work when you were there....and if you didn't, well then you aren't a team player.) This is the hardest part of hospital pharmacy, being able to play the social political game well enough, that one doesn't end up fired.

Retail--You will stand all day and either physically check prescriptions that the technician has filled, or check prescriptions that have been typed in the computer (again for correctness, DUR's appropriateness of therapy, etc.) Most likely you will be doing both at the same time. While doing this, you will break away to counsel patients or answer any questions they have. Good pharmacists will be doing all 3 at the same time (physically checking prescriptions, checking prescriptions in the computer, counseling patients.) Constantly going on in the background will be the phone ringing non-stop. This is the part that drives many pharmacists crazy. I tune it out and ignore, but not everyone can. Of course, when a technician tells you that you are needed on the phone, you will need to take the call--it could be a janitor calling in a prescription for a physician (no seriously, and it's often difficult to figure out what they want), a patient needing counseling or having a medication question, another pharmacy wanting a prescription transfer, someone wanting to complain and yell and scream (usually because of something that happened when you weren't working, or often something that happened in the front of the store or even at a completely different pharmacy), or someone wanting to get a medication refilled which the technician could have done, but the person didn't trust the technician. Then the next day, you will be at a completely different pharmacy, usually in a completely different city....because retail only hires part-time "floating" pharmacists these days, which means you will fill in wherever needed in your state.

With both hospital and retail, you will go home and pray that you didn't kill anyone, after the fast work pace and constant interruptions. At least that is what I do, I don't know what atheists do (maybe WVU or another atheist can fill in what they do after work, to handle the feeling of dread that they might have killed someone?)

7. What are good specialties of pharmacy that I could look into to see if they interest me? How do you feel about residency?

Specialities are extremely few. People who specialize often don't get jobs in their speciality. Critical Care/Emergency Medicine, psychiatric medicine, poison control, chemo/nuclear are the more common specialties.
If you want to get into hospital (about 30% of pharmacist jobs), you will want to get a residency, as 95% of hospital openings will require that (or recommend it, and then they will hire 1 of the 500 applicants who applied who did have a residency.)
8. Could you provide me with what you starting salary offers looked like if you don’t mind sharing.

For hospital, $90,000.....for retail $110,000 on average.
Expect to get paid considerably less, if you want to work in any major city. If you are willing to work in an extremely high crime area, or in a rural area hours away from a major city, expect to get paid slightly more.

P.S. I genuinely want to know so no bashing & speak to me in a less than respectful manner nor respond if you don’t want to provide genuine and honest answers to my questions.

Why would you think anyone here wouldn't give you genuine and honest answers to your questions?

Reading through this, it sounds more pessimistic than I feel...but it is all true. I don't mind all of this, but not all pharmacists can stand this. Know what you are getting into, pharmacy can be a great profession for certain personality types, but it definitely isn't for everyone.

Edited to fix the quoting which I knew I would mess up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It is both sad and funny how accurate that hospital pharmacy description was. Seriously though, if you want hospital, then you will need to intern in a hospital. This can come back to haunt you because if the residency does not work out, then you will not have been able to build a network/experience in the retail setting.

Getting a secondary degree is worthless unless you plan to try for a management position. You can leverage a secondary degree for residency applications to show you can handle more than just pharmacy school, however, that is a hefty price tag to help get into a residency spot. I did an MPH for just that and did not get into a residency spot, however, my extensive network from working in the hospital setting was able to aid me in getting a hospital position. Thus, I pissed away money on a degree I will never use, but at least it was a wash, as I bypassed a year of residency to get the job I would have wanted with my residency.

My recommendation is to do something else. If you are smart enough to get into pharmacy school, then you are smart enough to do something else. You are going to pay too much money for a degree that will not guarantee you even part-time work given the way the market is moving.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all, I am currently a college freshman and have had interests in becoming a pharmacist for the past two years now. Currently I have shadowed clinical pharmacists and a few retail pharmacists. The job seems so interesting. I now have a few questions

1. yes
2. probably yes - but not enough to overcome #1
3. depends - mine is pretty good, some retail places - not so hot,
4. I made 140k with zero overtime. so yes, in some places, but it is not the norm. debt to income ration is pretty bad is many cases, I recommend doing your pre-pharm in a CC and then going to a state school to mitigate the risk.
5, Simply a way for a school to squeeze more money out of you - might be worth it to go back and get your MDA if you are in a hosptial and want to get a manager/director job - but for most people - a big fat no
6.every day is different - I work in an ED and ICU - I spend a lot of time cranking through orders, doing abx consults, attending codes, answer DI questions - I really like my job -not overly stressful (if you can handle the death and dying aspect) -
7.ICU is saturated. ED is growing - I have had an easy job getting a job somewhere else when I have applied, but I also have 10+ years experience. residency is becoming a necessary evil - search the term on this board and you will hear a million different views.
8. starting salary was $43 and hour and a 20k sign on bonus - but that was in 2003. We start our hospital Rph's in the mid 40's per hour with zero experience.

Answers in bold

yes. don't bother

yes. state by state we will get more permission to prescribe easy meds and most likely approve refills.

great if you have a job and no debt. if you are jobless in this or any field it is rough

yes. there are many,many more easy and efficient ways to make 150k.
150K is low if the debt is 150K.

waste of time

Go into any CVS and observe from waiting chair. Most of general public is unable to do this job very well.

retail is good. residency is great if you want hospital work.
130K for 40hrs with 25K sign on in 2013.
Today that position is no longer available.

I hope you did not choose to continue with this. I graduated in 1996 and back then it was a great idea. Now let me tell you a few pointers:
Under No circumstance should you work retail for longer than 2 years. You must work in a hospital or long term care facility. Honestly now you should go to a PBM pharmacy. Get and maintain a few other state licensures. Keep up with the changing demands of the profession. For God's sake, you might as well just go to medical school these days. This profession has ruined itself! There is a complete OVER abundance of pharmacists in this country. The schools keep pumping out more and more when there are no jobs for those that have licenses. If that's not enough, you are going to find yourself competing for a job with a ton of H1b visa holders.

I am going on 5 years in retail. It is decent. My God in 1996-2005 you must have been showered with cash. What did you do with all that money?! It is my understanding in my trade area 45K sign on for 2 years was the standard until 2007. Tech hours up the wazoo.

Tell us more about the old days!

Good idea to shadow opportunity to see pharmacy first hand an form your own opinions. But think when you do it, put yourself in the pharmacists' shoes.

1. Will pharmacy be still too saturated by the time I become eligible to practice? define "too saturated" to get ANY job. Probably not, you could probably get a part time retail job as new grads are the target hires for retailers.

2. Is the pharmacy scope of practice going to become more widespread (mid-level providers)? It is gradually going that way, read board regs for each state esp new mexico. Will a mid level pharmd practitioner be a norm, no.

3. What is the pharmacist quality of life? The paycheck makes for a nice life, the excessive stress erodes it.

4. Is it possible for a pharmacist to make $150k anymore? How suitable is the salary given the amount of debt? (Understandably I won’t be a millionaire but I’d like to make a good amount & 150k seems pretty suitable.) Maybe but the salary escalation stopped around 2009. I graduated in 2001 starting retail 72k, in 2009 it was over 100. Make a mock budget, can you live on whats left and save for the future?

5. What are your thoughts on pursuing a Pharm.D/MBA? Don't do it. If you want to pursue a lot of credentials go into teaching.

6. Can you briefly describe a day in the life of a pharmacist relative to your specific position? Retail- run all day, impossible workload, hostility from management, techs, customers go home exhausted

7. What are good specialties of pharmacy that I could look into to see if they interest me? How do you feel about residency? Oncology seems hot. Residencies take advantage of new grads nowadays, only do one if you are committed to clinical and choose an in demand specialty

8. Could you provide me with what you starting salary offers looked like if you don’t mind sharing. median RPh in US $60 per hour

1.) Probably unless changes happen

2.) it will expand but I personally don't believe it will move onto mid-level providers. NP and PA pretty much have that ground. If anything, I believe pharmacist's will probably be placed into their own class of providers that primarily there for consultant work and managing complex medication regimens. Many hospitals already do this with Oncology, Transplant, Infectious Disease, etc. and CMS require a "pharmacotherapy expert" (i.e. a pharmacist. I don't know why they just don't outright say that) for many aspects of healthcare that come with complex patients with complex regimens. Maybe that'll be considered "mid-level" but I certainly would argue that it would place pharmacist's on the same ground of physicians and dentists.

3.) quality of life is whatever you make it.

4.) it certainly is. Hell, pharmacist can make upper 100K if you work long enough hours. There's an old saying, "if you wanna make money like a physician then work like a physician"

5.) Not worth it. Everyone has an MBA. My father has an MBA and he said they aren't worth s**t anymore

6.) another poster answered this perfectly albeit a bit cynically

7.) Oncology and Transplant are booming right now but that doesn't mean it'll stay that way. The market will fluctuate and another specialty will boom. Residency is a necessary evil and I'm sure many of the old timers will tell you it was moving that way since the golden era anyway. Many of my preceptors during rotations (even community) said that a student should pursue residency if they can.

1. Will pharmacy be still too saturated by the time I become eligible to practice? It already is saturated and gets worse every year.

3. What is the pharmacist quality of life? At work, you are not respected by customers at all. You are in the way “of what the doctor ordered”. They do not care that you are trying to ensure their safety. Also why are you charging them so much? You billed their insurance wrong. ... the pharmacist is always blamed for anything the doctor or insurance does. We are the middle man and blamed for anything one or the other does. Have fun.

If you work/can even find the extra hours. You are not going to be making 150k when they are constantly cutting hours. You will have to try to search for extra shifts every week and good luck finding them
Because they can barely give floaters 32 hours a week right now. My hours have been cut twice in 6 months.

5. What are your thoughts on pursuing a Pharm.D/MBA? How many years do we need to keep adding on? How much debt do you want to be in?

6. Can you briefly describe a day in the life of a pharmacist relative to your specific position? Miserable. I am unfortunately providing you with genuine answers here. No one cares about you or respects you. Everyone sees you as overpaid and in the way. They do not care you job is to ensure safety. All the metrics is about how fast you can do things - and 90% of the time that’s what your customers care about too. When you actually try to counsel them, they do not listen or get offended and say “I’ve been on this for years” ... again, not listening.

More years and more loans. Have fun. Also, did a residency and it’s a way for the hospital to get some free years out of people. The schools and hospitals love to use us.

8. Could you provide me with what you starting salary offers looked like if you don’t mind sharing. My starting salary has been cut twice from where it started so does a starting salary even matter when every 6 months you are guaranteed less hours? Your loan payments will be more than your rent/house note and you will be a slave to everyone after that. Don’t consider this “profession” and you’ll thank us later.