PharmCAS GPA's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GravyRPH

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the section where they explained how they calculated their GPA and it said if you retook a class it would list both grades. A friend of mine has a sordid past where he would take a class, not be doing well and instead of dropping it would just stop going, hence he has several F's and D's. He took a good time off and has since retaken all these classes with all A's and B's, but is he going to be f*^%#ed because all those initial bad grades are going to be calculated in giving him a gpa of 2.0?
I know that schools look at what you've done more recently, but I thought the new scores would replace the old scores...?

Is it possible that the school itself overwrites those old grades and just lists the newer grades? Hmmm.....

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school. UF doesn't allow grade forgiveness in their GPA calculation. But, they only look at math/science. So, as long as the screw ups were in something else, he'd be okay.

I received a C in chem 151 my freshman year (11 years ago) and retook the class last spring and earned a 96%. That C brought my pharmcas science gpa down to a 3.5 from a 3.75. Yes, it kills your GPA. I do agree that individual schools filter out the first class, but it may take a phone call to the secretary to bring it to their attention!

Members don't see this ad :)
Will the GPA from Pharmcas be used as a cutoff for applications? I'm in an odd situation. I Graduated College in 1995 with a BA in Political Science. I had taken General Chem I and II and Bio I and II. I also took stats, calculus and ecology. I had started out as a Biology major but switched my sophomore year. These classes are 12 years old and won't be accepted by most PharmD programs, so why are the Grades from these classes even factored in. I've retaken all of these classes and also took A&P I and II, Microbiology, Organic I, and Physics I&II and have a 3.98 GPA. The Pharmcas is going to kill my GPA because at 18 (I'm now 31) I didn't put much effort into my classes and got B's and C's. I even took an F in ecology because I missed my first test and didn't bother to drop the class or withdraw (I think at the time I didn't even know you could drop classes). And this class will be calculated in my Pharmcas Science/math GPA. Doesn't make much sense to me. There should be a 10 year forgiveness policy for prerequisites. If you can't use those classes for acceptance at most schools, then they shouldn't be used against you. Who knows what my GPA will be from Pharmcas, haven't figured it out yet. But I will probably go from a 3.98 to a 2.98. Will schools notice that these classes were 12 years ago and my study habits and drive are much higher now? Or will I just be a computer statistic. Thanks for the help.

I am also in one of those odd circumstances. I received my AA from USF in 1984. I was majoring in Computer Engineering. Life got weird and I didn't finish. Now I have decided to go back to school for my pharmd. So I am going to complete my prereqs at the local community college and apply to the UF satellite for Fall of 2005.

So in 1981-2 I took Chem I, Calculus (3 terms), Physics I & II, etc. I did not do well because I was stupid with freedom and did not attend class, etc. Barely pulled Cs in all of them. Now, 22 years later, I am back in school. I have contacted the advisor at UF. All those Cs are being averaged into my GPA for admission. So even if I manage As in every class from here on out, the best GPA I can hope for is a 3.6. :(

So, long answer to your question, but at least at UF, it does count.

Michele