PharmCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What if you do have ten *and* you do dedicate/have dedicated yourself to each activity for a very long time (as in years, not months)? Does the list become harmful instead of helpful? ('Cause the adcom would end up having to read through a giant mess of ten different activities...)

Also, does it hurt to fill in the "Average Weekly Hours" section? For some reason I feel like I'd hurt my chances if I do fill it out, compared to some other applicant who does not, because the adcom wouldn't know how much the other applicant did. It could be 1 hour/week... It could be 40 hours/week... It's like a wild card... :eek:

Finally, for the "Total Number of Hours Over Span of Experience" section, do I fill in how much I have up to this point, or how much I'll have by the end of Summer 2008/right before Fall 2008?

Thank you everyone!

If you can fill the entire volunteer space, then that's better than nothing. Like leoproductionz mentioned, don't add superfluous experiences for the sake of filling space. Prioritize the activities based on pharmacy relevance and amount of time spent with experience; the more pharmacy-related and the more time you spend with that activity, the more appropriate it is to add the activity.

I filled out the Average Weekly Hours prompt. My philosophy was that it's better not to give adcoms some doubt about my experiences. Though I suppose some people "fudge" their numbers a little, I think that showing adcoms that you've at least spent some real time with an experience is better than slapping down a random experience.

For the total number of hours box, I listed the number of hours to the time of application. You never know if you won't be doing that experience the next semester, so you don't want to inflate your numbers (though I think that happens all the time)

Overall, I commend that you are taking the time to make sure every detail on your application is favorable. However, remind yourself that you aren't going get an interview simply because you have ten experiences versus another's nine or 100 hours instead of another's 75. Adcoms have to read MANY applications during the initial screening, so they are going to look for generalities about your experience as opposed to nitpicking the amount and average of hours you spent in each volunteer experience.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools make a distinction between distance learning and online courses. Where I went to school, online classes followed a schedule of a specific semester where distance learning courses were a self paced learning course.

no worries. im sure being involved in an honors society for 2 years is more impressive than a one time involvment in March of Dimes... its quantity of time, not just a laundry list of "i did this once for 2 hours"

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to emphasie that I will be applying as early decision which if understood very well requires an applicant to apply to only one school.

And if that is the case, I can only apply to one school for the early decision period.

its only after u get accepted. once the university u apply accepts u, u r not allowed to apply to a differnt university, in other words; u have to accept their acceptance.

Okay....i hope to apply for schools sessions starting in fall 2008 school year...is this the best time to starting applying...I already completed alot of my pre-req...but since my GPA is like 2.69...i have re-took some of the classes at a community college in hopes of raising it.....does any suggest that I apply for school, and the pharmcas now...or wait on it..i hope to take the PCAT in the fall...so let me know...also because I have more than 60 credits...how would I know which ones are calculated into Pharmcas?? Any suggestions would help...:confused:

PharmCas application has just become available. If you plan to apply for Fall 2008, you should start on it as soon as possible. Trust me, it's not too early to plan this stuff. Since different schools have different deadlines, take notes of the schools you want to apply right away. From my mistakes, I advice you to apply early so that you will have more choices in terms of schools and early decisions (if you have a first choice).

In terms of GPA, I'm glad to hear that you're re-taking the classes because the pharmCas (and lots of schools) will calculate your GPA based on the prerequisites. They will look at your science, math, and if I remember it right, cummulative GPAs. The GPA is very crucial here, so I hope you will pull it up dramatically. Some community colleges actually replace your lower grade and erase your last one. If you can attend one of these schools, it would help you a lot since PharmCas will just take everything into account, with whatever you have on your transcripts.

Hope this helps. Good luck with everything.

Okay....i hope to apply for schools sessions starting in fall 2008 school year...is this the best time to starting applying...I already completed alot of my pre-req...but since my GPA is like 2.69...i have re-took some of the classes at a community college in hopes of raising it.....does any suggest that I apply for school, and the pharmcas now...or wait on it..i hope to take the PCAT in the fall...so let me know...also because I have more than 60 credits...how would I know which ones are calculated into Pharmcas?? Any suggestions would help...:confused:

You have to report all your credits to Pharmcas, even those you have retaken.

You need to start applying now, if possible. Retake those classes. Study for the PCAT...you will need an out-of-this-world score. Send the PCAT score when you take it.

Oh...and pray. 2.7 is low... you're down but not out. Good luck!!!!:)

I'm in a similar situation...I'm retaking one class and taking ochem II for the first time in the fall. For schools with rolling admissions is it better to apply early with a low gpa? or should I wait til I get these new grades averaged in? I just dont want to get rejected before they see my improved (hopefully haha) gpa.

As you all know that pharmcas early decision application starts in few days,I have a question in regard to that. Here is the scenario:

I have 2 schools in mind for the early decision: UNM (New mexico) and Howard but I don't know which will be my best shot.

For Howard, I have all their pre-reqs completed with 3.8 overall GPA, out-of-state and PCAT composite score of 73 :thumbdown: (you can see the reason I'm applying super-early) and for UNM I have about the same GPA but there will be 2 classes left before the final decision is made around late October.

Which do you guys think will be my best shot?

Just a hunch. One of my friend applied to Albany for ealy decision last year last year and this guy did not even have up to 3.7 GPA but he was accepted. I do beleive its because of the low number of people that applied there for early decision. So, i said to myself then that if i did not get in, i would consider applying there for early decison. Its a good school, small but good.

Hey folks,

Adding in some coursework into Pharmcas..

Would anyone know if O-chem 1 & 2 is considered lower or upper division if taken at a JC (junior college)?

I believe its upper division, but my friend is arguing since it was taken at a JC, it should be lower division.

HELP clarify please~!

it should be classified as lower divison. soph level

Members don't see this ad :)
i put upper division, because when it's transfered to the university it is considered upper division

How is that? Which university considers O Chem 1&2, and from which CC, to be an upper-division course?

Is it possible that you're referring to a special case?

it is a lower division at most schools; i know at most universities, it is scheduled to be taken right after general chemistry (which is taken during freshman year) which makes is a sophomore level class

Kenny, you should seriously check with your intended school...... I wouldn't assume that O Chem "...transfers as an upper-division course...." based on what an anonymous poster on an internet forum claimed.

Seriously.

Lol ... I think this person is just looking for what he wants. 3 people have said lower division, 1 person has said upper, and despite these numbers, the poster has accepted the upper level one, why? CUz that's what he wants to hear...

It would be best to ask the school tho, even if you don't like their answers. After all, they're the ones reviewing your application.

Oh well, if the OP doesn't want to make a simple phone call then its their prob.

interesting...the california state university (CSU) system considers organic chemistry as upper division that's why i put it as upper division

as someone earlier stated, i advise you to check w/ the university you attended

(thanks for the heads up eelo)

interesting...the california state university (CSU) system considers organic chemistry as upper division that's why i put it as upper division

as someone earlier stated, i advise you to check w/ the university you attended

(thanks for the heads up eelo)

Actually that's not entirely correct. If you transferred in OCHEM from CC it should transfer as (at least at CSUSB) as 221-222-223. There is an upper division OCHEM 321-322-323. If you get OCHEM 1&2 at CC you'd have to take CHEM 421 (Intermediate Organic) to be able to use your lower division units towards a BS/BA. That's what I had to do at CSUSB because I took OCHEM at CHC.

There is no such thing as an upper-division CC class. That's the whole point of CC to get you ready for upper-division courses, not to offer them.

wha...i guess it's only my school that considereds ochem upper division (cal poly pomona). there's only 1 organic chemistry offered...with the exception of a class called "elements of organic chemistry" which is a lower class than the ochem offered at cal poly. the ochem at my school is a 300 level class. 300-400 level courses are considered upper division

G Chem 1 and 2 are considered as lower div even you are taking them at a University

The easiest way to check whether something is upper or lower division is to check the course numbering system at your school. For example, Nebraska uses a three digit system where:

100 = Lower-division, freshman-level
200 = Lower-division, sophomore-level
300 = Upper-division, junior-level
400 = Upper-division, senior/graduate level

In general, most colleges consider the first two organic chemistry courses to be lower-division but I suppose there are exceptions where the organic sequence is designed to be taken at a junior level.

Thank you all for replying to my thread.

I appreciate all your input.

I read them all.

I never take anything posted on forums for full face value. SDN is merely a research tool. Certainly I will verify everything with the schools I'm applying to.

According to my ochem instructor who just emailed me back 5 mins ago, she says UCLA considers ochem to be lower division, and Cal Poly Pomona considers it to be upper division.

So many questions.. so many different answers.. *sigh*

I am having an internal conflict as I don't know where I should put my undergraduate research on PharmCAS application. Should it be under EC or work experience? If it is for EC, the problem is that I got units for doing it. If it is for work experience, I did not get paid. I am so confused....... :confused::confused::confused:

Hello,
Regarding the Pharmcas LOR: Do I waive(or not) my right of access to the reference I've mentioned? Anyone who filled the Pharmcas,please help. Thanks

I said I waive.. since I'm not going to be reading the LoRs anyway..
But not sure if that' right though :idea:

Advice given to me by two of the people writing my LORs. Always waive. If the author has to watch what they say for fear of you reading it, they can't be completely honest or unbiased. Adcoms know that and will treat the LORs as slanted and therefore not completely reliable assessments of the students. Now it may be a bit harsh, but it made sense to me. My advice is therefore to waive.

Thank you all for replying to my thread.

I appreciate all your input.

I read them all.

I never take anything posted on forums for full face value. SDN is merely a research tool. Certainly I will verify everything with the schools I'm applying to.

According to my ochem instructor who just emailed me back 5 mins ago, she says UCLA considers ochem to be lower division, and Cal Poly Pomona considers it to be upper division.

So many questions.. so many different answers.. *sigh*

In the end, only one thing matters, what did the school you take them at classify them as. Remember PharmCAS will only calculate GPA for classes listed as originally taken at the institution, not from transcripts where they show up as transferred units. Therefore if the class was originally taken at a CC it is a lower division class whether or not it was transferred as an upper division class at your 4 year school.

I am having an internal conflict as I don't know where I should put my undergraduate research on PharmCAS application. Should it be under EC or work experience? If it is for EC, the problem is that I got units for doing it. If it is for work experience, I did not get paid. I am so confused....... :confused::confused::confused:

If you didn't get paid and didn't receive school credit (my research was a 1 unit lower division elective) then it would go EC. If it was paid, work experience. If you received credit then neither, it would show on your transcript. Now this is my personal opinion, personally I'd consult with PharmCAS or the school if this is for a non-pharmcas school.

I don't think schools care either way. I think the hours you say you put in will be more important to showing adcoms how much time you put in the project.

If I had to choose one, I would choose work experience. When you do experiments as a part of a research adviser's project, you are essentially their "employee" in principle even though you aren't getting paid. Since your adviser's job is to generate research money through research and you are their subordinate in this job, a research lab is like part of the university's "company". So, you are working for free.

When I think of extracurriculars, I think of stuff like clubs and volunteering that are more exploratory and temporary you do outside of actual lectures and lab courses.

I always waive it. I asked someone couple years ago about this and she said, if you don't waive it, it shows that you do not trust the prof/pharm that is writing your LOR. Or in other words, you don't trust the person to write a positive LOR.

Waive it....

It seems sort of contradictory to search for a positive LOR writer only to want to read said positive writer's letter afterwards.;)

I, too, was wondering about this. I received credit for my research also. I also participated in many conferences such as poster presentations and such. Would it be excessive to list these individual conferences in EC's? I was going to list my research position under EC but now i'm a bit confused.

i have a serious question.

what happens if the LOR gave me the letter to see how I like the way its written. Do I check waive or not waive?

I never asked to see it. She just told me if I thought any changes were necessary. I said no then gave it back to her to sign and seal.

what happens if the LOR gave me the letter to see how I like the way its written. Do I check waive or not waive?

I never asked to see it. She just told me if I thought any changes were necessary. I said no then gave it back to her to sign and seal.

You should still check waive. None of the people that wrote me LORs showed me their copy, however I know one probably would have if I had asked but I didn't of course.

You are still allowed to waive it. You only check not waive if you still want the right to request to see the letter. Since you didn't request it, you're still ok.

I decided not to waive. I can see everyone's point about it being better to waive, but I wanted to be able to read it in case I didn't get accepted. Then I could decide whether or not to ask that person for another letter in the future.

I didn't really think about the adcoms taking into consideration that I didn't waive my right to read the LORs. I probably should have waived, but I was accepted so I guess it doesn't matter.:D

Hello,
Regarding the Pharmcas LOR: Do I waive(or not) my right of access to the reference I've mentioned? Anyone who filled the Pharmcas,please help. Thanks

Its always nice to waive it. Plus it gives the schools you are applying to the impression that u did not influence the person writing the recommendations to say good things about you. It's in the application instructions.

I've decided to waive my right of access. Thank you all for all your reply.:)

As mentioned, I'd go ahead and check it. You're waiving your RIGHT to view it. You were priveleged to be able to do so. You just wouldn't be able to demand to see it in the future since your rights were waived.

Pretty easy question: Do you have the ability to save your PharmCAS application while it's still in progress with out submitting the final draft? I don't have the time to sit down and do it from start to finish. I would think it does, but I don't want to find out it doesn't if I'm wrong.

Yes.

You can log-in and work on it as much as you want before submitting. Make sure to save your changes each time, though.

Thanks for the quick response.

When filling out Pharmcas application and it asks for Work Experience are they asking work experience only relavent to Pharmacy?? I do have work Experience but is not related to pharmacy... So, can i just list that??

When filling out Pharmcas application and it asks for Work Experience are they asking work experience only relavent to Pharmacy?? I do have work Experience but is not related to pharmacy... So, can i just list that??

Yes, you should list that too.

It boost your application by showing that you can multitask, and it could explain an average GPA or lower if those hours took away from your studying.

I had a quick question about the PharmCAS Fee Waiver. It says that it notifies the schools you are applying to about the fee waiver, whether you were granted the fee waiver or not. Does this effect the school's decision on whether you get accepted or not? I guess this questions goes back to whether schools look differently at whether you come from a high income/ low income family.

Also, the instructions are a bit confusing to me. It says that you first apply to the first three schools and you add the other ones after that? If anyone knows the specifics about the fee waiver, please share what you know. Thank you!