PharmCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys i've got a question... i am applying for fall of 08, currently working on pharmcas. i am taking two classes this summer and they are both pharmacy prerequisites (one of them to almost every school, one of them to a lot of schools). im trying to figure out if i should go ahead and input my grades and send transcripts to pharmcas right now, or wait until i have the grades for the summer courses. i am doing well in the summer courses and should get two A's, but it won't affect my gpa much (move it from 3.35-3.37 or 3.38). however, i thought since they are both prereqs, it might be better to have them in there.. also pharmcas doesn't submit to schools until aug 1. and i will get the grades probably a week or two after that so it will set my application back maybe one month? what do you guys think i should do? one more thing, i am taking the august pcat, so they won't have my pcat scores and complete file until the grades get sent to them. so maybe there is no point in me doing it now and i should just wait until the summer grades come out? also, if my file isn't complete until september, do you think i will be at a disadvantage? i've got a 3.35 completed a double major in genetics and biology, but not much pharmacy experience (a little bit of shadowing) and not much volunteering. but i've been a ta for biology and worked at a hospital and done research.. just nothing i wasn't getting credit for or that was unpaid
Your case is kinda similar to mine. Two classes I am taking will be done in the end of July. It takes 1 week for my transcrpit to be ready, and it approximately take another 2 weeks (I guess) for Pharmcas to receive it. Still, I am thinking about submitting my application before August. Anyway, they still receive my transcript.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys ive got a question

since different schools require LORs from different types of people...

i am trying to figure out which LORS i need to submit to pharmcas. will the LORs that i give to pharmcas be sent to every college that i apply to through pharmcas? one of the schools i am applying to requires a humanities professor, while the rest of them do not. i don't want to submit a humanities LOR to all of the colleges i am applying to. i figured i could send the humanities LOR to the one college separately, but then they will have 4 LORs if pharmcas sends them three...

can you submit more than three to pharmcas and then choose which ones go to which schools?

Generally, most PharmCAS schools get your LORs from PharmCAS. You could try to ask the schools if you want to send more, but most schools have a limit at two or three that is rendered moot once they get your PharmCAS LORs.

If you have two LORs uploaded, then both will go to all schools. If you upload three, then all three will go to all schools. PharmCAS will only allow you to upload three and you don't get to pick and choose which ones go where.

So, I'd ask that lone school if that humanities LOR can reach them directly, and if so, then upload your two or three regular LORs onto PharmCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the advice... its such a pain with different schools having different requirements

Quick question, I just moved to South Florida, and I already have an AA from my old community college..Im just taking a couple classes, like physics and literature before I enter in to pharm school in 08 (gotta be optimistic ;) and i am tryin to enter all my coursework into pharmcas. how do they want you to specify which classes you WILL BE taking? Im not recieving or seeking a degree from this new school, I just have like 3 classes I want to take. So when i put in non degree seeking etc for all the fields and hit save, it just takes me back to the screen where I have my institutions that i've attended. Do i just update this upon completion of the courses and go ahead and submit my app to pharmcas?? thanks for the help!

Hi. You will need to include all courses you're planning to take through Summer '08, and send them updated transcripts after each semester. You should enter your planned courses into your app prior to submitting your application. HTH. :luck:

So this is the first time I'm using the PharmCAS site, and I'm a little confused about few things...

First, the transcrips; So I list all the courses that I took and the courses that I'm going to take, and then I have to get the official transcript and send it to the PharmCAS, right? What I'm confused is, since I'm taking summer courses, does that mean I have to send my official transcripts again after my summer course grades are up? Can I send my transcripts now or should I wait till the end of summer when the grades are posted (late Augutst)?

And for the PCAT tests, I took it last summer and I'm planning to take another one in August. My last PCAT score wasn't bad and I think it's high enough to pass the cut line, but I wanted to see if I can do better. I know that when Harcourt reports the August score, it'll also report my old PCAT score also (if I'm not wrong), so I kinda was thinking I won't have to send my old score separtely. But since everyone's going "apply early early early!", I'm worried that waiting till mid/late September to send application is not a good idea... but then I won't have anything on the test section of PharmCAS.

I think I can have everything completed and ready to apply by July/August, and the only thing that would hold me down would be the PCAT score and possibly the transcripts...

Long story short, can I send my application without the PCAT score posted (should I send my old PCAT score now), and/or summer/fall transcript? How does the informaton gets updated and how/when do the schools know?
Sorry for the long post and I would greatly appreciate any help!

If your summer courses are pre-req's or would help boost your GPA I would wait and send your transcripts after these classes are completed. Otherwise you will not be able to add these grades until the update in December.

I would just pay Harcout the $20 and have them forward your PCAT score now. After your test in August it will take 4-6 weeks to get your score, then another week or two for Pharmcas to post it. If they have your current PCAT it will be sent with your completed application and the score of the August PCAT will be forwarded to your schools when they receive it.

Thank you! I think that would be a better option too :)

Send a PCAT report to PharmCAS. Though PharmCAS has an Academic Update window for updating summer and fall courses, you can't modify your application after you e-submit. Therefore, if you leave the PCAT field blank, you would have to send your August PCAT scores to every school you apply to this year. That would be expensive.;)

I think the first two are okay as they are science related. So, you could tie those experiences into your decision to pursue pharmacy. If you leave out the third job, then I think that its less likely that adcoms will wonder about the "Shouldn't she be looking into biology research or something in the computer science field?" concern.

As stated in the other thread about pharmacy experience, it is not the kiss of death to not have pharmacy experience, especially when you've been occupying yourself with something else important to your graduation.

I dont think any of that will hurt you.

You could just say you wanted to try some different things while you were still in college b/c you knew you'd be doing pharmacy for the next 40 years lol.

I think it shows you explored all your options and had some valuable/educational extra curricular experiences. And that you could balance school and other activities/jobs. in my opinion, list them all!

Send a PCAT report to PharmCAS. Though PharmCAS has an Academic Update window for updating summer and fall courses, you can't modify your application after you e-submit. Therefore, if you leave the PCAT field blank, you would have to send your August PCAT scores to every school you apply to this year. That would be expensive.;)

You are correct about not being able to modify your classes after submitting.
But, Pharmcas will automatically forward any PCAT scores they receive even after you have e-submitted it. As long as you have Pharmcas listed as a recipient on your PCAT form they will forward the score as it is received to your listed schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have had several job experiences (as a college student), namely:
1. Research in plant genetics (biology lab work)
2. Research in computational genetics (software programming)
3. Internship in computer security at a software company

...which have absolutely nothing to do with pharmacy. I was wondering if I should leave any of them off the PharmCAS application, in case some admissions person wonders, "Why is this person applying to pharmacy school when her experiences have nothing to do with pharmacy...shouldn't she be looking into biology research or something in the computer science field?"

Oh and I really don't have any pharmacy experience to list. So yeah, in short, my question is if listing these job experiences will hurt me.

Thanks.

NO! Talk to your adcoms about it in the interview. Withholding information off of an application is the same as lying. I would spin it as a life experience or a personal interest internship. We're allowed to have other personal interests...I just think they want a go-getter, not someone who never has had a job/internship their whole college career.

=)

You are correct about not being able to modify your classes after submitting.
But, Pharmcas will automatically forward any PCAT scores they receive even after you have e-submitted it. As long as you have Pharmcas listed as a recipient on your PCAT form they will forward the score as it is received to your listed schools.

My bad...got a little confused...:oops:

I just got caught up in the whole business of applicants having to designate the test date when they plan to take the PCAT. On a side note, it's key to designate the PCAT dates one will take just to let pharmacy schools know through one route that there will have another score.

Whats the deal with the early decision program??

"As an Early Decision applicant, you can apply to ONLY one pharmacy degree program."

"Q: If I am accepted as an early decision applicant, do I have to accept the admissions offer?
A: Yes, you are obligated to accept the offer and will not be permitted to apply to other participating institutions during the current cycle."

I think that's crazy!:thumbdown: Any comments?

The whole point of Early Decision is for you to decide early (and the schools themselves) where you are headed. If you could apply to 12 different schools early, it wouldn't be called a decision.

This option is mainly for those who have their hearts set on going to a particular school and feel their applications are strong enough to merit a more focused and limited review by the admissions office. It also means, you know for sure you want to go to that institution.

Like omegadramon said above, you can always apply to non-PharmCAS schools.

But the program itself seems quite fair to me, there aren't all that many schools that participate in the early decision program anyway. If you don't get accepted to early decision, you can always submit multiple applications through the regular cycle.

yah its only if you know you want to go to a school. it doesn't seem like any of the schools i am applying to even have it as an option

"As an Early Decision applicant, you can apply to ONLY one pharmacy degree program."

"Q: If I am accepted as an early decision applicant, do I have to accept the admissions offer?
A: Yes, you are obligated to accept the offer and will not be permitted to apply to other participating institutions during the current cycle."

What is crazy about it?? The program is setup for students who have a top choice and would like to get the whole admission thing done and over with early, usually these are also very strong applicants as well. The school is accepting you or not accepting you out of a very small pool of applicants, you are not being judged against the mass numbers that regular admission applicants are. If they take you out of that small group they must want you and that is why you are committed.

If you don't like it then just don't apply early decision, seems like a simple solution. I hate ben affleck movies so I don't watch them....simple

The bad thing about the ED program is the decision is made by Oct. 31. May or may not be too late to apply elsewhere.

The good thing about ED
1. Small group. In by 9am done by Lunch.
2. Feels like VIP service.
3. If you get in you dont need to blow $$ on the PCAT in Dec.

Would you seriously consider it as "lying" ...this is very different from say, withholding the fact that you failed a course. In fact, isn't the whole "job experiences" section, technically optional?

I wouldn't try to delve into a gray area such as this. Technically, you are probably right, but in the case you are wrong, and a school does consider it as lying, that would be grounds for dismissal/denial.

It just seems safer to be as honest and straightforward as possible.

Put all of them on....pharmacy schools don't expect you to have everything you do pharmacy related. My friend's jobs were all computer related and he didn't omit any of them, he's now at UCSF =).

The bad thing about the ED program is the decision is made by Oct. 31. May or may not be too late to apply elsewhere.

Not really, one could just have his/her materials ready to send to PharmCAS once the rejection comes. Of course, the applicant should slant the school choices to non-rolling admission schools with later deadlines than November 1st, but October 31 isn't too late for many schools.

I think you completely misunderstand the purpose of ED programs.

Early decision offers a huge cost-savings for those students who plan to apply to only one school. It also is a way of letting the school know that the student plans to only apply to that school, which may give that application a little more weight and consideration.

People choose ED for many reasons. If the rules regarding the ED process don't suit you, I recommend you don't apply ED anywhere.

Not really, one could just have his/her materials ready to send to PharmCAS once the rejection comes. Of course, the applicant should slant the school choices to non-rolling admission schools with later deadlines than November 1st, but October 31 isn't too late for many schools.

omnione.. if PCAT is required by schools participating in early decision program, then PCAT should have been done by June? August PCAT is too late?

If you were a "dancer" at a local gentlmen's club... I would leave that off..

But computer related work, I would bold it.

omnione.. if PCAT is required by schools participating in early decision program, then PCAT should have been done by June? August PCAT is too late?

Probably, as the ED schools I know all require your scores to be received by the school's admission office by the deadline. Since the August PCAT occurs about a week before the deadline, there is no way those scores could reach the office in time.

However, check with each PharmCAS School Page to make sure, but ED programs have that strict deadline. You could ask a ED school if it'll allow for your August PCAT to come in if you have a previous score, but I think such cases are rare.

all good points...Thanks! I am applying to ACP as a Ed student. Hope that 3.95gpa gets me in this time. Didn't last year! Might have to bring it up to a 3.97-3.98...I am running out of good courses to take.:idea:

all good points...Thanks! I am applying to ACP as a Ed student. Hope that 3.95gpa gets me in this time. Didn't last year! Might have to bring it up to a 3.97-3.98...I am running out of good courses to take.:idea:

Very impressive GPA! I am sure the GPA wasn't the problem last year, maybe look elsewhere on the application: essays, LORs, interview skills, pharmacy experience, volunteering, PCAT..... You already got the killer grades!:D

Yeah. I revised my essay and requested some better LOR but i think the problem last year was because i applied at the very last minute. Thats why i am applying through the ED program this yeah.

Can I submit my supp apps before my pharmcas app is submitted? I'm still waiting on 2/3 e-LORs and it's making me anxious. I'm done with 2 supps already and I want to send them in! :eek:

Can I submit my supp apps before my pharmcas app is submitted? I'm still waiting on 2/3 e-LORs and it's making me anxious. I'm done with 2 supps already and I want to send them in! :eek:

Unless specified, you can go ahead and send them in. I called PharmCAS and they don't wait for your LORs. If you have your transcripts and application in it is considered complete. The school doesn't consider it completed until LORs are in. So go ahead if you are done with the suppl.

Thanks! I think I'll go ahead and just do that instead of waiting around. Lol..

Hi everyone;
Does anybody here knows what is considered extracurricular activity for pharmcas. I have done so many things, but I don't know if I should mention all or any of them. Please give me some examples of your activities. I am totally blind for this section. Thanks and good luck to all of you.

Hi,

I think there is somewhat of a range of opinions on this one. Some people focus on strictly pharmacy related activities while others (like myself), open it up a little more. I view it as a chance to show a bit more personality, well-roundedness and dedication to specific causes..

For example mine include hospital volunteer experience; clinical experience with an ER pharmacist; scientific publications, posters and patents (pharmcas recommended this was the best place for these even though they are related to my research work/job); clinical experience with an ER doctor; involvement with the triathlon community and charity cycling events (this one was debated elsewhere on the forum); facilitating and leading health education/safer-sex/diversity workshops for college freshman; and development and facilitation of a LGBT youth group..

So it includes science/pharm related stuff, but I also try to broaden it out..

Here’s something from some communication with one school’s admissions dept. regarding a somewhat unrelated question I had (one about LOR’s), but I think it relates to your question in a way:

‘You must remember that on the PharmCAS there are not too many areas that are very qualitative. Thus, the application is primarily filled with numbers and statistics. The only areas that the reviewer will have a chance to get to know you are through your personal statement, the supplemental application, and through your recommendations.’

Hope that helps, and I’m sure others will have differing opinions..

The onlything to consider before submitting is, if you know for sure that your LOR writers are going to write it no matter what.Because if u submit it now,you can't change your LOR writer anymore.

The onlything to consider before submitting is, if you know for sure that your LOR writers are going to write it no matter what.Because if u submit it now,you can't change your LOR writer anymore.

That's a little incorrect.

You can change your references before or after e-submitting the PharmCAS application as long as PharmCAS has not received the LOR of the reference you wish to replace or delete. Also, if you submit the application with two references, then you can add another after e-submission.

To the OP, you can get your secondaries in, but do remember to maintain contact with your references since schools won't take action on your application until all materials have been received.

If I retake a course, will the lower grade still be factored in the GPA or ignored in the GPA calculation?

Thanks!

Yup... it's still factored in. Sadly... :(

First of all, they classified my "microbiology" class as "Biology & other biological science". Therefore, it appeared as if I did not take Microbiology class, which is a prerequisite for many pharmacy schools.

In addition, They considered nursing courses as "other science" and calculated the grade into science GPA?

I got all Bs from my nursing from undergraduate nursing course.
My culmulative GPA remain unaffected at 3.57 but my science GPA considerably dropped to 3.54!! .. I should have been much higher if they categorized nursing courses as "General non-science"!

Nursing is not a science. It is partly science. They categorized "computer science" as "non-science". Why nursing?

I guess I will call them tommorrow! or Should I just leave it as it is?
I believe some school school blindly use Pharmcas GPA for consideration.. So I think I should correct this..

It doesn't hurt to call and correct it. You don't want to be rejected because an adcom misses the course effortlessly.

Still, most pharmacy schools go through your PharmCAS transcript very carefully for pre-req courses given the high probability of oddly named prereqs one would miss if he relied on the designation alone. So, I don't think the goof is a major error.

It doesn't hurt to call and correct it. You don't want to be rejected because an adcom misses the course effortlessly.

Still, most pharmacy schools go through your PharmCAS transcript very carefully for pre-req courses given the high probability of oddly named prereqs one would miss if he relied on the designation alone. So, I don't think the goof is a major error.

Thanks.. omnione.. I will give them a call tomorrow.. What about the nursing GPA? Should I argue with them about this, too? becuase some school set a minimun of science GPA of expected applicants and science GPA is a part of the statistics shown in Pharmcas in school page... so I guess it has some importance..

First of all, they classified my "microbiology" class as "Biology & other biological science". Therefore, it appeared as if I did not take Microbiology class, which is a prerequisite for many pharmacy schools.

In addition, They considered nursing courses as "other science" and calculated the grade into science GPA?

My culmulative GPA remain unaffected at 3.57 but my science GPA considerably dropped to 3.54!! .. I should have been much higher if they categorized nursing courses as "General non-science"!

Nursing is not science. It is partly science. They categorized "computer science" as "non-science". Why nursing?

I believe some school school blindly use Pharmcas GPA for consideration.. So I think I should correct this..

I think nursing is science...after all I'm sure they've had this question before. If you would, could you present your case as to why you don't think nursing is science? Not trying to be a jerk, just interested to see your point of view.

Good ole PharmCas you gotta love them. I think they consider any health professional courses in with the science GPA. Isn't there a lot of science material in most of nursing courses? Seems like there would have to be.

so that means you've e-submitted your pharmcas app already?

Nursing is not science. It is partly science. They categorized "computer science" as "non-science". Why nursing?

Don't you designate what the courses are? That's the way it was last year. You select math, biol, other, etc. If that's still the case, I'm not sure how they misclassified it.

As for the Micro, where I took it it was a BIO class, BIOL 323 Biology of Microorganisms. So classifying at Biology and other Life sciences would not necessarily be a misclassification.

Your phone call tomorrow should straighten everything out I hope.

Good ole PharmCas you gotta love them. I think they consider any health professional courses in with the science GPA. Isn't there a lot of science material in most of nursing courses? Seems like there would have to be.

There are science material in nursing but they are not pure science like Math, Bio, or chem. It's the "application" of science. They teach us how nurses intervene and care for specifiic of patients with specific disease process rather than simply lecturing the disease process.

Many of the exam question are the application in nursing point of view:
For example,

If the patient experiences _____, what is the first action the nurse should perform.. A)notify MD B) assess for____ C)______D) call the code E)Keep monitoring. No action required.

Many of the courses are much less science-related.. There are a bunch of psychology material in Mental health nursing. Leadership in nursing, nursing perspective are barely science-related.. I can't see how nursing intership can be science-related either... :)

It would be interesting to see how they would categorize engineering or computer science courses!