PharmCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
the email sent to your references does not only ask for a written letter. there are other questions that they answer. the recommender has the option of writing an additional letter if they choose to do so.

Members don't see this ad.

thank you soo much for the info!

I just checked my application and it lists 7/26 as the mailing date.

Good luck to all the early applicants!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just checked my application and it lists 7/26 as the mailing date.

Good luck to all the early applicants!
When did you esubmit your application?

I also checked my application, and it listed on 7/19 as the mailing date

woohoo! my app lists 7/26 as the mailing date too. :D that's one down..

When did you esubmit your application?

I also checked my application, and it listed on 7/19 as the mailing date
Yea mine said 7/19 at first then I checked it later and it said 7/26...I don't know why though...cause I submitted it in June. Oh well I am just happy it is off! Has anyone started/finished any supplemental applications yet?

are you guys talking about mailing date under pharmacy designations?
it shows date locked for me as 7/24/07, but nothing for mailing date yet.

are you guys talking about mailing date under pharmacy designations?
it shows date locked for me as 7/24/07, but nothing for mailing date yet.
my date locked is 6/28 and mailing date is 7/26.

Yea mine said 7/19 at first then I checked it later and it said 7/26...I don't know why though...cause I submitted it in June. Oh well I am just happy it is off! Has anyone started/finished any supplemental applications yet?

After I read your quote, I checked my application. The mailing date has changed to 7/26 too. So it will be tomorrow. Hope everything will be fine.

hey, did anyone get their pharmcas GPA computed? Does anyone know if Pharmcas will send out the applications once they get the GPA computed? What's a relatively good GPA for Pharmcas?!

thanks!

hey, did anyone get their pharmcas GPA computed? Does anyone know if Pharmcas will send out the applications once they get the GPA computed? What's a relatively good GPA for Pharmcas?!

thanks!

I think most schools have have an average GPA right around 3.5, so that would be relatively good being average to answer your question. Varies a little from school to school. If you are curious about specific schools checkout said schools' websites and look for an average GPA of previous years. If you want you could just call up the school and ask or shoot the counselor an email. pharmcas and www.aacp.org might have last years average gpa for every school listed so check it out.

Members don't see this ad :)

thanks!

Pharmcas will calculate your GPA after they receive your transcripts and you e-submit. Then they will send it out.

i wonder how many people already submitted their applications on and off the message board. lol, im all paranoid now :scared: maybe i should've turned in mines earlier, my goal was to have everything done by August 1st and then e-submit.

Yeah, I submitted w/a lock date of 7/6, and it says mailing date is 7/26.

Aah, freaking out...

I know they take science, math, and other gpa's sperately, but do they just each up abnd divide by 3??

Or do they put more weight on the science gpa??

Hey guys:

A little confused about the whole PharmCAS process. Can we e-submit as soon as we're done writing the essays etc etc... or can we only e-submit after we've received 1) all LORs 2) all official transcripts to pharmCAS 3) PCAT?

It is still very early in the application cycle... so is there real advantage to submitting so soon?

I'm not sure what you are trying to ask here. The science GPA consists of your PharmCAS grades for all PharmCAS science course calculated like any normal GPA. The same goes for everything else.

Im sorry can someone explain to me what is pharmcas? Is it a organization for pre-pharmacy majors ?

PharmCAS is the centralized application service (hence the CAS) where aspiring pharmacy students apply to multiple schools through just one application. Though PharmCAS isn't as comprehensive as AMCAS is for medical schools, it is the common service you will most likely have to deal with when you apply later on in your pre-pharmacy track.

Hey guys:

A little confused about the whole PharmCAS process. Can we e-submit as soon as we're done writing the essays etc etc... or can we only e-submit after we've received 1) all LORs 2) all official transcripts to pharmCAS 3) PCAT?

It is still very early in the application cycle... so is there real advantage to submitting so soon?

You can e-submit after completing your personal statement,classes, EC's, etc. You do not have to have all your Recommendation letters received or the PCAT. Pharmcas will forward these as they are received. But they will not mail out your application until your transcripts arrive and are verified. If you are in no hurry, I would wait until everything is complete.

I am applying to a school with rolling admissions and they will start interviewing as soon as they have a completed file. That is why I wanted to be one of the first applications mailed.

I know they take science, math, and other gpa's sperately, but do they just each up abnd divide by 3??

I'm assuming you're asking "how do they calculate the overall gpa? Do they add the science, math, others and divide by 3?"

The answer is no. They calculate the overall GPA just like they calculate any ordinary grade point average. They take your total Grade points (aka Quality points) from all of your classes, and divide it by the total number of Graded units.

That means if you have more units in Science courses, your overall GPA would be closer to your Science GPA.

Yeah, I submitted w/a lock date of 7/6, and it says mailing date is 7/26.

Aah, freaking out...

I'm freaking out too! Lol.. PharmCas changed my mailing date from 7/26 to 7/27.. hmm....

Do the recommendation letter e-mails from PharmCas go out before you submit your application? I swear I saw a post somewhere with the answer on it, but I can't find it now.

Do the recommendation letter e-mails from PharmCas go out before you submit your application? I swear I saw a post somewhere with the answer on it, but I can't find it now.

yeah, they do. they go out as soon as you enter your reference's contact information.

yeah, they do. they go out as soon as you enter your reference's contact information.

i remember last year, I almost entered my professor's email before asking her if she could write me one. wheww..wouldn't it be an embarrassment if you entered someone's email address and they receive the email before you even ask them to write one?:laugh:

You can e-submit after completing your personal statement,classes, EC's, etc. You do not have to have all your Recommendation letters received or the PCAT. Pharmcas will forward these as they are received. But they will not mail out your application until your transcripts arrive and are verified. If you are in no hurry, I would wait until everything is complete.

I am applying to a school with rolling admissions and they will start interviewing as soon as they have a completed file. That is why I wanted to be one of the first applications mailed.

Hey Mt girl:

PharmCAS says it will take up to 5 weeks to verify the transcript... :| so I cannot e-submit until my school sends the transcript AND PharmCAS verify it?!?!

Hey Mt girl:

PharmCAS says it will take up to 5 weeks to verify the transcript... :| so I cannot e-submit until my school sends the transcript AND PharmCAS verify it?!?!

No, you can e-submit anytime you have finished the application. Pharmcas will not send it to your schools until they verify your transcripts. This may take up to five weeks at peak times. It only took them one day after getting my transcripts in July. Normally it would then be mailed, but they do not start mailing until around August 1.

Hope this helps. It can be a confusing process!

Last year Pharmacs calculated an overall GPA, a math GPA, and a science GPA.
This year it shows an overall GPA and then combines all science and math together for a science/math GPA.

No, you can e-submit anytime you have finished the application. Pharmcas will not send it to your schools until they verify your transcripts. This may take up to five weeks at peak times. It only took them one day after getting my transcripts in July. Normally it would then be mailed, but they do not start mailing until around August 1.

Hope this helps. It can be a confusing process!

thanks u've been very helpful :)

and im ashamed lol I thought if i submit things by Aug 31 it's pretty darn early.. everybody here is done a month in advance!

I copied and pasted, instead of indenting paragraphs i left full line space between paragraphs...

It says it's "Character Count: 4496 (max 4500 characters)"

I does not save... JUSt takes me back to submission page.

Please help, what gives?????

Hey guys i found this site yesterday and I'm in the process of finishing the pharmcas app, this PS is giving me a hard time, i feel like i'm repeating the same stuff and I still need 1000 words. Anyone in the same situation???

Hey guys i found this site yesterday and I'm in the process of finishing the pharmcas app, this PS is giving me a hard time, i feel like i'm repeating the same stuff and I still need 1000 words. Anyone in the same situation???

i think you meant to say 1000 characters. anyways, i had the opposite problem, where i had to cut a lot out to squeeze everything into 4500 characters.

i think you meant to say 1000 characters. anyways, i had the opposite problem, where i had to cut a lot out to squeeze everything into 4500 characters.

Same. I found it easier just to write and then edit out the extra stuff to reach the maximum, than start writing with the 4500 maximum in mind.

Same. I found it easier just to write and then edit out the extra stuff to reach the maximum, than start writing with the 4500 maximum in mind.

i first started out with no topics to write about... then went well over the limit and had to painfully cut down...then stupid pharmcas wouldn't even take the 4496 so i had to cut it down even further.

If you need 1,000 more words, then you really haven't thought your desires well enough.;) 1,000 characters comprises about three good paragraphs. It sounds like you could elaborate more on your experiences. Don't just list out achievements in a serial fashion if that's what you've been doing.

i first started out with no topics to write about... then went well over the limit and had to painfully cut down...then stupid pharmcas wouldn't even take the 4496 so i had to cut it down even further.

Another member posted recently that the character count may differ across internet browsers. I believe the example was where Firefox inflated the character count over IE.

Hello:

I'm working on my PharmCAS score and I have done the PCAT three times in the past. Does anybody know if I have to enter three seperate PCAT entries on PharmCAS or just the latest one?

Thanks!

If you have taken it (3) times - you should definitely denote (3) occassions. It wont hurt you to take it (3) times - but not disclosing, and then having it come to light, will.

thanks for the tip, does this apply to the extracurricular page? I need another 5 characters or my final sentence seems terse

It gives wrong character count... By a significant margin, like 20 characters off if you use Internet Explorer.

I did, because it's all my husband will allow on the computer, and mine was fine. Do you have the current version?

I did, because it's all my husband will allow on the computer, and mine was fine. Do you have the current version?

yup i do... my essay is kind of lengthy.... It's very close to to the max, maybe 3 characters under.... When i first tried to do it with firefox, it showed me that it was in the acceptable range. yet pharmcas did not accept it.... But in reality according to Internet explorer, it was 20+characters over. I then shortened and it was accepted at almost the max character count... so i assume internet explorer is much more accurate.... I heard similar story in another thread... i dunno if your essay is shorter, it should be ok to use firefox.

I used firefox and I did not have trouble. The character count was the same as the one provided to me by Word.

I want to submit my application right now, it is basically done (LOR). However im on a waiting list at a local hospital for volunteering in the pharmacy dept. I dont know how much longer before i can volunteer but i want to submit my applic. asap. Anyone have any idea what i should do?

I don't know what you should do, but I went ahead and submitted mine. I haven't heard back from any of the places I've tried volunteering, and I figure I can't wait forever on them. If I do get a volunteer position, I can bring it up in my interview.