PharmCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just submit it now with the dates that you think you will start/end volunteering. During the last application cycle, I put down that I would start volunteering in January, but I didn't actually get started until four months later because of processing delays. It's not like I could control the delay. I got accepted to two schools and the discrepancy never came up.

Members don't see this ad.

Should we do it for spring 08? Do we have to?

Yes, you should list all courses you have taken and plan on taking them before matriculation. That's how they know that you have an intention to finish all required classes. You can change and update these planned courses directly with schools later on. Good luck for both of us!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you should list all courses you have taken and plan on taking them before matriculation. That's how they know that you have an intention to finish all required classes. You can change and update these planned courses directly with schools later on. Good luck for both of us!

But the PharmCAS instruction says that we should just list courses until this summer... Hmm... maybe I read that wrong and did that wrong. I will check it to make sure.

But the PharmCAS instruction says that we should just list courses until this summer... Hmm... maybe I read that wrong and did that wrong. I will check it to make sure.
I thought we were suppose to list only the classes through Fall 08; i think this was discussed in another thread in the past already

I found it on PharmCAS instruction booklet page 28, under "College Courses in-Progress or Planned." It says,"Enter College courses in progress or planned through the completion of the Summer 2007."

I found it on PharmCAS instruction booklet page 28, under "College Courses in-Progress or Planned." It says,"Enter College courses in progress or planned through the completion of the Summer 2007."

I don't know if maybe you are looking at an old copy, but I just looked at the booklet and it says to Summer 2008.

I don't know if maybe you are looking at an old copy, but I just looked at the booklet and it says to Summer 2008.

through summer 08, that way adcoms know what you will be taking. not listing courses is a good way not to meet course requirements and to get your app thrown before it ever reaches the adcoms.

hope this helps.

Hi,

on my pharmCAS application, where it says pharmacy designations, mine says date locked 7/10, sent 7/29. But under mailing status, everything says "new". Does yours say "new" too??

Hi everyone,

How long it usually takes for PharmCAS to send out the applications? Mine is locked on 7/26, but still no mailing date or anything else. Thanks!

I guess they send mail on Sundays in Pharmacy land...:rolleyes:

Mine was mailed on 7/27 and still says "New".

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it takes about a month. I read on another thread about people who submitted in June and how they just got their applications mailed out. I submitted by application last week and I still have no mailing date.

oh hehe thank you for your reply

I think it takes about a month. I read on another thread about people who submitted in June and how they just got their applications mailed out. I submitted by application last week and I still have no mailing date.

I submitted around July. They already mailed mine since last week. Now I got supplemental application by e-mail from MCP.. but anyway I won't send it in until after PCAT in August.

You are allowed to put in your application to PharmCAS on June 1st, but they don't do their first shipment until End of July or early August. This time around they did it around July 27th. Not sure when they do their second mailing, but I know they told me that they won't update your scores to each school until end of December!

That is the only bad thing with PharmCAS, they take your money then send stuff whenever they feel like it.

You are allowed to put in your application to PharmCAS on June 1st, but they don't do their first shipment until End of July or early August. This time around they did it around July 27th. Not sure when they do their second mailing, but I know they told me that they won't update your scores to each school until end of December!

That is the only bad thing with PharmCAS, they take your money then send stuff whenever they feel like it.

Wait so let me get this straight, I should call Hartcourt and have them send my scores to the schools individually rather than send it to Pharmcas?

mine says mailing date of 8/06/07. i'm assuming that's the 2nd mailing date for pharmcas.

i called pharmCAS this morning. they said they will mail out apps about once every week. the first mailing was 7/27 and the second will be on 8/6

Wait so let me get this straight, I should call Hartcourt and have them send my scores to the schools individually rather than send it to Pharmcas?

If your school is a PharmCAS school, send it to them and not directly to the school. Nothing you can do about it being behind!

Ok... there are two tables.

The first one makes sense....

The second one doesn't. I have total 91 semester hours. The second table on the bottom says it's 66. They leave out 25 units, looks like english classes.... etc...

Can someone please explain that?

mine says 08/06/07... YAY! I was afraid that it would be sent out in late august. BTW mine was blank before the date appeared for a whole week

Quick question to those of you who submitted already: are you applying for early decision?

I don't think I would list that as an extracurricular. Even though you went to Peru with other students and faculty from school, it wasn't for educational purposes. It's just like a group of friends planning a trip together.

Yea, I wouldn't list it as an extracurricular either. If that's all you can say if they ask you about it in the interview, that isn't going to bode very well. Pick extracurriculars which are meaningful and can demonstrate a lot of knowledge, personality traits, and skills which you have. No need to force it.

For those of you trying to increase your GPA through summer classes and fall classes, this is what I HATE about PharmCAS:

Dear Dustin,

Your application went out to your schools on the first mailing date listed. If we receive any PCAT scores of references after that initial mailing they will be sent to your schools and you will see the revised date listed.

Unfortunately we have already sent out your application and you will have to wait for academic update to take place from Dec. 14 – Feb 1st. to update your summer grades.

Sincerely,
Ali Levy
PharmCAS

Pharmcas is the system that a lot of pharmacy schools are switching to for applicants. So you send all your information to them, your letters of recommendations, transcripts, PCAT scores, references etc. and they handle everything for you. Thats fine, whatever. But when it comes to the Transcripts and they do your GPA... god if you had a bad start to college like me your SCREWED all the repeat courses you took will have no effect, so I totally avoid schools that require pharmcas because it DESTROYS your GPA... Am I the only one out there that feels this way?

It does destroy your GPA on pharmcas, but in reality, the schools you apply to will look at the retaken courses and weigh them appropriately. More than likely even with alot of courses retaken, you will still get an interview with appropriate grades and scores, but have a little more explaining in an interview.

That's somewhat inaccurate as your repeated courses are factored into your GPA. Sure, the effect isn't as powerful as a F being wiped out for an A but it's not like there's NO effect on your PharmCAS GPA.

Pharmacy school admissions examine more than just GPA.

no you're not the only one
my overall GPA is 3.29...pharmcas calculated it to 3.08. at least my science gpa is high..

but i appreciate pharmcas for making the process easier. could you imagine applying to each individual school seperately? it would be too daunting

LoL, well in my case you gotta do what u gotta do because Im applying to about 7 schools individually

The key distinction between an extracurricular and simple charity is the presence of some organization or body for which you operate under. For clubs, you operate under the school. For a soup kitchen, you operate under the owners. For your experience to be considered a true ec, it should have been a part of something instead of a random act of kindness. Otherwise, you have people putting down "giving change to homeless people" as an ec.;)

my gpa is about 3.30 but with pharmcas its 3.08 or something like that; very close to nerve12345. I had one F and a D that I retook. I also have 2 other Ds that I never retook. I am just happy my Gpa is above 3.00.

to OP.....what is your Pharmcas gpa anyway?

good desrcription. Thank you, Ill keep that in mind next time I consider what is an extracirricular

How many different ECs are average for an accepted applicant?

Western U needs supplemental application, basically a new essay and all three LORs on their own forms. Then why bother to use PharmCAS? just for fun, ha?!

i believe the adcoms will weigh retakes accordingly. I wish ALL schools were on pharmcas...would make my life easier. I love being able to hit "add school" and only worry about secondaries WRT essays (and not have to send transcripts, scores, and LOR's)

btw I HATE proprietary LOR forms, pain in the arse.

Ha Ha,...seriously, Western U is like an entirely different PharmCAS appl.... They just want us to fill out PharmCAS because they know how exciting it is so sit down, nervously filling out info for no apparent reason...isnt' it fun. I would so rather sit down with my nerves rattling filling out crap than go to a party or Magic Mountain..what about you guys?:clap::clap::clap::banana::banana:I even dance when I fill out stuff, that's how exciting it is...

I have a thing where every Friday night, I fill out PharmCAS over again...so much fun...

then will they even look at the PharmCAS package? why waste our time and $$?

How many different ECs are average for an accepted applicant?

I personally don't know. I believe that quality > quantity, so it's vital that you are active in at least one or two activities rather than putting down random one-time activities.

I dunno if they'll even look at your pharmcas application but i do know that USC doesn't.