This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDHelpMe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am desperate for answers. My only other option is to leave pharmacy school! my problems include money, family, my significant other. I already have anxiety and my undergrad was not so perfect. Is it possible to commute 1.5 hours each way to pharmacy school? Most likely 4 days a week this semester 3. don't be mean and just be honest please! Also, for upcoming semesters can you choose your classes on 3 days a week is that up to you? I don't know what to do I don't sleep from stress :,(

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. You need to talk to Academic Support Services or the equivalent.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't do it. If it's 1.5 hrs on the highway, the risk of falling asleep at the wheel is real, especially if you have to spend a lot of time cramming for pharmacy school and are sleep deprived. I've had 2 friends seriously injured and disabled from crashes like this and 1 occupant was killed. If it's 1.5 hrs through city traffic it'll stress you out even more, and the chances that you'll have an accident are almost guaranteed, and with Murphy's Law it'll probably happen on your way to an exam.

I think the commute is doable, sounds like your other concerns are more problematic and harder to manage. If you have any doubts, i wouldn't go through with it. Pharm school is no joke, you got to have your act together bc you don't want to face major debt after a failed year.

I know a guy that commutes an hour and it's not a problem, but our classes aren't always mandatory so there were weeks where he'd just have to show up 1 or 2 days. This semester everything is mandatory for us which sucks.

You don't really get to choose your schedule in pharmacy school aside from maybe the occasional elective or on which days you do rotations. Some schools video the lectures and don't require you to even go to class where other schools will lose their marbles if you miss just one class so how many days a week you have to go really depends on the school.

In my biochemistry, physiology, neurology, anatomy, and immunology classes I literally only showed up on the first day of class and for the tests and scored well beyond the average, though the school claims that lower attendance correlates with lower scores so it might not be a good idea for everyone.

From what my interns have told me, there are schools that record all their lectures and post lecture notes so if your school doesn't require attendance then only go when mandatory.

The two above posters are correct in the fact that most schools do have some sort of recordings, at least for the therapy classes. However, my school did not do this for the first year if I recall correctly. I would also caution against skipping first year; this is when you will make your connections. Pharmacy school is much harder if you are going through it alone. Definitely make a couple friends that you can bounce questions off of down the road.

I might get knocked for being the major naysayer, but my principle is to tell the beneficial truth, for your own good.

This is suicidal and may ultimately lead to you getting expelled. Commuting 3 hours+ per day is extremely burdensome, especially for someone with anxiety and other problems. You also leave yourself with very little (if at all) leeway in case there is a traffic jam or other problem. Some schools are beyond strict in that you will fail tests or classes for not showing up strictly on time.

I completely agree in you need to make friends/connections but that can be done making only two trips a week during the days with mandatory classes like labs and staying all day and using study groups.

I personally commuted 1.25 hours each way all four years 4-5 days per week. It sucks a lot. It was an easy drive, just long. And a huge waste of time (overall I think it was worth it obviously). It is doable, but difficult because driving becomes a part-time job. You will spend 15-20 hours in the car, which is time you can't spend studying, you can't spend socializing, you can't spend working. Your friends will sip their fresh hot coffee and brag about waking up at 820 for the 830 class while you cry inside that you woke up at 600 and have already downed 2-3 cups. I tried recording lectures and listening to them in the car to review but ultimately stopped because I didn't find it helpful. Many times I left 30-60 minutes early to guarantee I made it to class/exams during inclement weather. You'll have long days with an 0830 class and a 1500 lab and nothing between. It gives you time to study, but sucks you're "stuck" at school. And it will be hard on your car too, my commute was an even 700 miles per week. Depending on the volatility of gas prices and your mileage that can be an extra $1000-$4000 per year in gas alone. Don't forget new tires, frequent oil changes, paying for parking, and anything else your car might need depending on it's reliability. And you'll probably get fatter. I put on a good 15-20 lbs from the extra 15 hours/week I was sitting on my butt doing nothing but holding a steering wheel straight. I never want to do it again. And all of this is with amazing family/financial support (I used loans for school but my wife handled all other bills) and few other major stressors in my life.

Hopefully this provides some insight to long commutes to school, sorry it's pretty disjointed.

tldr: You can, it's horrible.

Last edited:
I am desperate for answers. My only other option is to leave pharmacy school! my problems include money, family, my significant other. I already have anxiety and my undergrad was not so perfect. Is it possible to commute 1.5 hours each way to pharmacy school? Most likely 4 days a week this semester 3. don't be mean and just be honest please! Also, for upcoming semesters can you choose your classes on 3 days a week is that up to you? I don't know what to do I don't sleep from stress :,(

Even if you do pass, I don't think you'll be learning what you need to.

I can't imagine having wasted a half hour, let alone 3 hours of every day.

I've had classmates commute 1 hour each way and 1 is top 20 in class. 30 minutes more? big whoop. yes it is doable!